none
Windows Vista, Genuine Copy Problem

Question

• I recently bought an HP laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. Recently, after updating Windows with automatic updates. It seems to think my copy of Windows is not genuine. I have run the validation tool several times and the tool states that my copy is valid. However, this message still pops up and still thinks my copy is still not genuine. What should I do? Should I take it back to the vendor? Any help is apprieciated.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have a very similar problem with Vista Business on a whitebook laptop which I built (I'm a system builder).  I'm using a legit installation via software which was purchased from a Microsoft Authorized distributor. Very frustrating, but seems to be typical Microsoft strangeness.  Why was I able to activate if it is not "genuine"? 

Specifically for your issue if it hasn't been addressed, contact HP.  As an OEM they are the place where you are supposed to go with OS questions.  They should be able to fix you up or at least explain what the deal is.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:40 AM
  • What you need to do is to reactivate your Windows Vista installation using the telephone activation method:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:05 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

What you need to do is to reactivate your Windows Vista installation using the telephone activation method:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

hey caarey, if you are not from microsoft and just a volunteer, I suggest you stop quoting this solution all over the forum. If you read back to those threads you posted the solution. It dosent work.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:59 AM
  • The issue has been resolved.

Visit:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en
    and click on "Validate Windows".  Afterward, log-off your account and
    log back on

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Hi there! I do have the same problem - the message, mentioned by You, is poping up all the time. If You get any answer regarding this problem, could Youl share it with me - maxea@abv.bg - thank You in advance!
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 6:27 PM
  • My computer is running with a genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (full version - $239.00). Everything is fine. Now I want to upgrade my computer from a D processor to a Dual Core 2 with a new motherboard and a new processor. The Windows Vista OS is still intact in the hard drive. Please tell me:

1/ What I am supposed to do in case the computer won't boot up or run?

2/ If it runs, would it need to be reactivated? (Please educate me how to reactivate my Windows)

Sincerely.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:51 AM