none
The Windows Media Connect Service is not running

Question

• Hi-

I was able to install PP1 with no apparent problems, but I now get a constant message in my connector saying:

"The Windows Media Connect Service is not running".

Is there anyway to make it run again? Or do I want to? I had previously done the WM11 "upgrade" so I could stream to my PS3. Is that why I'm getting this message?

If I don't want to really run the service, is there a way to make the message go away so my connector icon will be green again?

TIA.

browndepot

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I had a similar issue. All I had to do was to go to "services.msc" (Start -> Run -> Services.msc) and enable three other services to get it started.

HTTP SSL

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

SSDP Discovery Service

Once the three of them are started you can then launch your Media Connect service.

Cheers,

Ludo

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:13 AM
  • There are .bat files which will disable media connect, they are included with MSS PVconnect. PS3 can get confused with 2 upnp servers ( WMP11 and MC ), it gets confused easily. My advice, just keep MC disabled. If you want, there are posts on We got served, in media streaming, on this topic.

Ben
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem.

In my case Windows Media Connect Service wouldnt start because IIS Admin Service didnt started as well.

I tryed to restore the metabase.bin file but had no luck.

So I just uninstalled the IIS Service (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components) and then installed again.

Et voilá!

It's working again.

Hope it will help you.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 3:23 AM
  • ok well i have been having this same problem and i got something to work for me its pritty simple.

*important* (you need PVconnect installed)

<WHS>
    open your WHS Console go to settings and click on (PVconnect). then click the tab at the top that says Media Receivers, then click add (now you just have to add the ips of PC/360 or anything you want to share media with). not to hard. probly the worst part is trying to find the IP's.

<Vista>
    if you have vista opend your start menu and type (cmd.exe and hit enter.) then in the command promt type (ipconfig) it will give you your current computers ip.

<XP>
    open start menu and type cmd.exe in Run then when command prompt opens type (ipconfig) does same thing as vista.

depending on what modem/router you have you should also be able to find out the ips. for all your system. hard part about this is sometimes trying to figure out what ip goes to what.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Not sure if this will help anyone when Windows Media Connect Service is not running. Here are the steps I took to fix my problem.  Symptoms of the problem can be that your home server connector on your client machine will not connect, the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discover.exe app fails to connect or you network status says that the Windows Media Connect Service is not running.

1. Remote desktop to Home Server (click start > run or Windows Key + R and type MSTSC /admin)
    2. Log into server with your administrator password
    3. Try and start the service manually. Go To > Administrative Tools > Computer management > Services > Windows Media Connect Service > Click Start (Make sure it is set to automatically start for the future)
    4. If the service starts, great your done. If it fails to start check the service dependencies.  You can find the service dependents by right clicking the service, click properties and then click the dependencies tab. Anyway, Windows Media Connect Service will list these services and dependents:
      HTTP (Which is really IIS Admin Service)
      HTTP SSL (Is dependent HTTP and IIS Admin Service)
      Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    5. Make sure all these services are running if any of them are not then start them.  
    6. My problem was then when i tried to start the IIS Admin Service I would get an error message basically saying that it could not start and contact someone who knows what they are doing.
    7. After that I checked the computer event logs which told me that iis had an "Error parsing XML file. Reason: An invalid character was found in text content." This file was located: "C:/WINDOWS/system32/inetsrv/MetaBase.xml". 
    8. Navigate to the inetsrv directory and you will see a directory in there called History. This directory contains back up files of the MetaBase file.  Start replacing the MetaBase.xml file in "C:/WINDOWS/system32/inetsrv/" directory with a copy of the backup MetaBase.xml files.  Everytime you replace the orginal with a backup try and restart the IIS Admin Service.  Once you find a backup file that allows the service to start you will be able to start all your other services and everything will work as it should.
    Hope this helps
    • Proposed as answer by Doktor_kermit Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:50 PM
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 9:12 AM
  • I had the exactly the same problem. Every issue follows the same sympton you have describled. It works by following your procedures and you are my saver. Thank you.
    Saturday, January 01, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Thank you, it was very helpful!
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Thx a million.

I had located the file metabase.xml which was fubar, and i was looking for a backup. Your post saved my day ;o)

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:50 PM