none
Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

Question

• W7 updates in Jan & June 2010 for my PC's have immediately created a runtime error in WHS which has stopped all access to the server and I receive a certificate error. Similar posts have appeared on this forum since 2007 and the perceived problem appears to be that installing .NET 3.0 somehow causes ASP.NET to reference System.ServiceModel (possibly indirectly). At this point I see no solution to regaining access to my server unless a restore to factory settings is done.

If so what change/update to WHS do I then need to do after recovery? What version of .NET and ASP.NET are required and what versions is WHS currently running? The server is a 32-bit Acer and all my PC's are 64 bit - will changing the server to an Acer 64-bit resolve the problem or is it just as likely to recur at the next W7 updates? 

On the pc side is there any software that I should be downloading/updating? What I appear to be running is:  Microsoft: SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition 3.1.000 & Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0  & Sync Framework Services native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0. Windows Home server Connector 6.0.2423.0.

As the W7 auto updates will continue I surely need to update software on the WHS side however this may not be correct technically to resolve the problem. I just can't have the server falling over every time there is a W7 pc update. Advice please on what I need to update within:

1) WHS software version and any further manual updates of specific files?

2) W7 64 bit software on PC's?

3) Hardware - Server change to Acer 64-bit from current Acer 32-bit?  

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:51 PM

All replies

•  

Could a WHS Forum Moderator or other expert clarify if the problem I have described is viewed as a W7 problem or a WHS problem and most importantly why one or the other - W7/WHS - is the root cause/problem?

Is WHS fully compatible with W7 (or vice-versa) - what are the known current issues (list anywhere?) and apart from this forum does microsoft have another forum dealing with W7/WHS compatability issues?

Friday, June 25, 2010 1:43 PM
  •  On 6/25/2010 8:43 AM, antfortas wrote:

Could a WHS Forum Moderator or other expert clarify if the problem I have described is viewed as a W7 problem or a WHS problem and most importantly why one or the other - W7/WHS - is the root cause/problem?

Is WHS fully compatible with W7 (or vice-versa) - what are the known current issues (list anywhere?) and apart from this forum does microsoft have another forum dealing with W7/WHS compatability issues?

I'm not an expert on this at all, but I would say that you have an update on WHS that went wrong.  Windows 7's updates wouldn't have anything to do with ASP on the server, as the client (Windows 7) only gets what the server sends it back for the web browser.  The page may end in .aspx, but the server actually sends html back that contains whatever the .ASP produces.  (Yes, I realize that if you look at the source, it shows vb code)

In your other post, you said that you can ping the server by name--but not IP Address, is this correct?  If so, then I would like you to try something (it's a long shot and probably won't fix anything, but it may help diagnose the problem).

Open a command prompt as an Administrator (right click on the Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator).  For the next person who's trying this, you can find the command prompt in Start --> All Programs --> Accessories  (or search for cmd in the search bar).

Type the following in

arp -a
    arp -d *
    arp -a
    ping servername
    ping serverIP (only do this if it shows up in both of the arp -a listings though)

What the first one will show you is a bunch of learned IP Addresses (not as important here), but you should see some "dynamic" IP Addresses that correspond with the computers on your network.  The arp -d * clears out all of the learned IP Addresses.  The third arp -a should only show the computers on your network.

I have three computers connected to my router.  When I did arp -d * and then arp -a, only two IP addresses showed up (one for my server and one for the other computer).  So, you should have similar results.  If the IP Address for your server doesn't show up, but a different IP Address is there (meaning that before, you would have seen 192.168.2.80 and 192.168.2.5 and now you see 192.168.2.68 and 192.168.2.5) then the strange IP may be your server's new one.  Try pinging that one, and if it replies, try putting it into your web browser.  Then try using Remote Desktop Connection (Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Remote Desktop Connection) and connect to that IP.  Try using "Administrator" and your WHS Password to log in.  If it works, then you can start checking updates to find out if one broke (and start troubleshooting from there).

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:37 PM
  • AFAIK this is .net related (version) problem, nog typical for Win7.

I would start with rebooting server, if that doesn't help then please try installing .net framework 4.0 (or uninstall / reinstall 3.5 or 3.0) on server and also client (if installing on server alone doesn't fix your problem)

• Edited by brubberModerator Friday, June 25, 2010 3:13 PM more recent .net version available
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for the suggestions. I did as suggested however no unusual IP address appeared that led me to the server so I decided to go via the Remote Desktop Connection.

When I put in the server IP address 192.168.0.194 (which is the correct IP address according to the D-Link Router admin page) I receive a warning advising me of a name mismatch between the IP address and the Alpha name on the Certificate (which is the correct Alpha name for the server). I could override this warning with a tick box but decided to retry using the Server Alpha name. This time it took me to the WHS desktop without any warning message and by clicking the WHS Console Icon I have again re-accessed the Server Admin functions. Excellent!!!

I then exited the console back to my PC desktop and attempted to connect using the WHS Connector icon in the bottom taskbar - however I still receive the same "This computer cannot connect to your home server...." SO why does the accessories/remote Desktop Connection route allow me to connect without a problem yet the specific WHS Connector software does not? Surely all I need to do is 1) uninstall the WHS connector 2) Use the Remote Desktop Connection 3) create a new shared folder icon + pathway to the server for my desktop.

I'm thoroughly confused why the supported WHS connection route does not work yet the unsupported Remote Connection Route does work?  Explanations most welcome.

Regarding the specific runtime error can anyone clarify/explain to me how to locate the specific error and how to correct to avoid the same problem recurring. To install .net framework 4.0 I am very vague on how to successfully accomplish this and do I need to access the server hidden partition with the program files to uninstall/reinstall (how to access please?) or am I updating the WHS files on my PC + what do I need to uninstall/re-install on my pc?

Thanks 

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi

As if by magic... I have now received a microsoft auto-update for .Net Framework 4 for Windows 6 x64-based systems KB982670 and have installed on my PC. Going back to the server files using Remote desktop I can access the server SYS (C:) files and have located ParameterInfo.xml 09/11/2009 which indicates that I have .Net Framework 2.0 - KB976576 currently running on the server. If this is correct (please advise if I should be looking in another folder) then 1) why does WHS not auto update this to .Net Framework 4 for 32bit servers or if I need to do this manually do I just download to the server using the inbuilt server IE8 and let it auto-install to the pre-determined location?  

Friday, June 25, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Can someone post the microsoft link to download the latest version of .Net Framework for WHS running on a 32-bit server - I'm unsure if the latest is 3.5 or 4.0. and don't fully understand the differences as none mention WHS.

Thanks 

Friday, June 25, 2010 10:19 PM
  •  On 6/25/2010 5:19 PM, antfortas wrote:

Can someone post the microsoft link to download the latest version of .Net Framework for WHS running on a 32-bit server - I'm unsure if the latest is 3.5 or 4.0. and don't fully understand the differences as none mention WHS.

Thanks

Hi antortas,

I believe Brubber posted the link for you. Here it is again http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en  (You may have to copy and paste that to your browser to make it work).  As for which verson you need, this will contain the components for .NET 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0.  This is a stub file, which means that when it runs, it will determine what it needs to download, and then download those files.

If that doesn't work for you, you can try this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7 (Again you may have to copy and paste this to your browser), which is the complete "offline" installer.  If you're presented with a choice between x86 and x64, you want the x86 version (the "86" stems from the original names for the processors, which is why it's not an x32).

Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Hi there

Thank you for the links and I have downloaded and installed the .Net 4.0 into both the server and my pc. I rebooted both along with the router and modem and unfortunately I still have the following problems: ( McAfee is not installed and the remote web connection to homeserver.com was not setup)

1) Remote Desktop Connection to Server using Alpha name produces a warning that "The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Certificate errors: The certificate or associated chain is invalid (Code: 0x10000)

2)Remote Desktop Connection to server using IP address assigned by d-link router - 192.168.0.194 produces the same warning and error code plus another warning that the server name on the certificate is incorrect.

3) http://SERVER:55000 takes me to WHS connector/download now/WHSConnectorInstall.exe/run/please wait while your home server is located/downloading software bfrom your home server/This operation cannot be completed at this time.

4) https://SERVER:56000 brings up a Certificate Error warning/there is a problem with this website's security certificate/continue to this website (not recommended)/takes me to WHS connector/same result as 3)

5) http://SERVER produces Server error in '/' Application  Runtime Error

6) https://SERVER produces - there is a problem with this sites security certificate.

7) Uninstalled WHS connector and then discovered that backups cannot be done to server using Windows Backup because I only have W7 home Premium.

The loss of connection by WHS connector, the security certificate problem, Application runtime error are the same as I encountered in January 2010 with the previous W7 update and nothing has not been resolved by installing .Net 4.0.  I wonder if this is fixable at the user level and how to do this - by inserting missing code somewhere or has an algorithm gone wrong that a user can't fix? What is the certificate actually looking at - the server alpha name assigned originally and what does it do when comparing againt the assigned IPaddress and then advise there is a difference - therefore security problem with the certificate and finally what part of the W7 update on my pc immediately affected the server security certificate during the update that cannot subsequently be reset by the user and stops the WHS connector from connecting? Is there any way to access the error logs on the server to identify the type of error detail? Other than that are there any other suggestions as to how to get this problem fixed or am I now looking at yet another Factory reset as the final (till the next time) solution?

Thanks 

Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:55 AM
  •  Hello antfortas, my answers (what few I can give you) will be inline:

On 6/25/2010 8:55 PM, antfortas wrote:

Hi there

Thank you for the links and I have downloaded and installed the .Net 4. 0 into both the server and my pc. I rebooted both along with the router a nd modem and unfortunately I still have the following problems: ( McAfee  is not installed and the remote web connection to homeserver.com was not  setup)

1) Remote Desktop Connection to Server using Alpha name produces a warn ing that "The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Certifi cate errors: The certificate or associated chain is invalid (Code: 0x1000 0)

For this problem (and possibly number 2), you may find the answer at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/fc370 97a-fc9d-4bc0-8764-1698d53bdef9/ (which is geared more towards an enterprise server).  You may also want to search in these forums for Certificate Errors to see whether anyone has a similar issue, and how they resolved it.

On a side note (as for the second part of #2, there should be an option to ingore the warning in the future or allow it permanently (check box near the Connect button).  You can click that, and then connect anyhow--since you're on the same local network as the server.  I wouldn't do this for remote connections though (unless you know the server is the right one).

2)Remote Desktop Connection to server using IP address assigned by d-li nk router - 192.168.0.194 produces the same warning and error code plus a nother warning that the server name on the certificate is incorrect.

3) http://SERVER:55000 takes me to WHS connector/download now/WHSConnec torInstall.exe/run/please wait while your home server is located/download ing software bfrom your home server/This operation cannot be completed at  this time.

4) https://SERVER:56000 brings up a Certificate Error warning/there is  a problem with this website's security certificate/continue to this websi te (not recommended)/takes me to WHS connector/same result as 3)

5) http://SERVER produces Server error in '/' Application  Runtime Erro r

6) https://SERVER produces - there is a problem with this sites securit y certificate.

Is your error message for #6 this?

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
      We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this  website.
      Click here to close this webpage.
      Continue to this website (not recommended).
         More information

(More information produces)

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
    When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
    If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Hel p.

If so, then clicking on Continue should take you to the login screen (with the address bar turned red because of the certificate error).  If you look in the "View Certificate Details, you'll find out that while you're trying to access it from https://servername the certificate is registered to yourname.homeserver.com (which causes the mismatch).  So, as long as the certificate is for your server.homeserver.com address, you can safely continue.  ***However this only applies to this instance.  It's not the recommended policy when you get certificate errors.

In laymen's terms this is the same thing as if your real (legal) is John, and everyone, aside from coworkers, calls you "Jack", if a friend of yours went to your company and said "I want to talk with 'Jack'", the  receptionist wouldn't know who they were referring to.
     > 7) Uninstalled WHS connector and then discovered that backups cannot be  done to server using Windows Backup because I only have W7 home Premium.

No, the only way backups can be done to the server is through the connector software.  It's designed to do them in the way that Windows Home Server needs/wants.  At least if you want to be able to access them  through the console or Restore PC software, that is.

The loss of connection by WHS connector, the security certificate probl em, Application runtime error are the same as I encountered in January 20 10 with the previous W7 update and nothing has not been resolved by insta lling .Net 4.0.  I wonder if this is fixable at the user level and how to  do this - by inserting missing code somewhere or has an algorithm gone w rong that a user can't fix? What is the certificate actually looking at -  the server alpha name assigned originally and what does it do when compa ring againt the assigned IPaddress and then advise there is a difference  - therefore security problem with the certificate and finally what part o f the W7 update on my pc immediately affected the server security certifi cate during the update that cannot subsequently be reset by the user and  stops the WHS connector from connecting? Is there any way to access the e rror logs on the server to identify the type of error detail? Other than  that are there any other suggestions as to how to get this problem fixed  or am I now looking at yet another Factory reset as the final (till the n ext time) solution?

Thanks

I would say try logging in through the https://server address (even with  the certificate errors) and see if you can Administer the console through there (you'll have to log in with one of your usernames that you  setup--not Administrator).  If you haven't done this before, you'll click on Computers (or that tab) and then "Remote Access to Windows Home  Server Console" and put your WHS password in.  You'll want to go to Settings, and then "Update now" just to make sure that everything's installed properly.  And then you may want to reboot the server (if you haven't done this already).

As far as the Windows 7 update that would have caused this, I'm completely at a loss here. I just received the same updates as you (along with some extras for my computer) and I'm able to connect to my server without a problem (other than the certificate error when trying through http://myservername)

Patrick.
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?

Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi these

thanks for replying and sorry for the delay in responding to you.

The link you supplied when copied and pasted into IE8 produces a 404 error - page not found.

There is no check box presented to tick - if there was one only presented the first time the warning appeared then I missed that but logically the box should appear until I decide to tick it.

Regarding #6 - yes this is the same warning I receive and if I choose to continue to the website (not recommended) I then receive the same application error as detailed in #5.

Regarding "you'll find out that while you're trying to access it from https://servername the certificate is registered to yourname.homeserver.com (which causes the mismatch)." REPLY - The certificate is in the single name of the server - there is no homeserver.com as the www.SERVER.homeserver.com was never set-up. Could this be the problem causing the mismatch that when a server is named but the WHS remote www route using homeserver.com is not established that this causes some sort of mismatch in addresses and then a certificate error? Is something/somewhere in an update assuming that the WHS remote connection is setup within the WHS software? Separately I am now using the Remote Desktop Connection in W7 which is a different method from the WHS connection setup. The W7 R.D.C. appears more reliable, quicker to connect and the only thing not possible is the backup which needs the WHS connector route to run. Is the sole purpose of the WHS connector to provide backup on the server for (W7 Home and other versions) users who only have the DVD backup option. Question - if I upgrade W7 to the next level which allows server backups will this make the WHS connector redundant and I can then only use W7 Remote Desktop Connection route - or does it have some other function that is not obvious to the user? If backup is the only reason for the WHS connector then Microsoft need to give some serious thought to having one consistent platform (Remote Desktop Connection) for all servers including WHS to facilitate backup.

Regarding "In laymen's terms this is the same thing as if your real (legal) is John, and everyone, aside from coworkers, calls you "Jack", if a friend of yours went to your company and said "I want to talk with 'Jack'", the  receptionist wouldn't know who they were referring to."  REPLY - while I understand the logic I fail to see where a change in name can arise when the server has only been assigned one specific name to it unless there is dyslexia algorithm at work here? It seems illogical that a name change could be possible.

QUESTION: When the home Server Connector attempts to log onto the server what route is it taking - HTTP/HTTPS/WWW(if set-up)/Internal pathway established during installation? Better understanding this may explain why the route/pathway has been changed as it doesn't appear to be blocked or the remote desktop would not be able to find the server either.

LASTLY: Are there error logs within WHS which can be accessed? If there are I can advise the error message and if there is no error log this may indicate a W7 problem which was the cause at each of the last two W7 updates.

Thanks

Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Hi there

I have accessed an error log within the server  C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\PCHealth\ErrorRep\QHeadles and would appreciate being advised by someone more knowledgeable with WHS whether this specifically identifies the problem I have encountered and importantly gives a WHS programmer the information to fix by issuing a WHS update?

QueueVer=1
    UI LCID=1033
    Date=6/25/2010
    Time=11:55:27 PM
    ReportSize=114237
    Bytes=bytes
    Kilobytes=KB
    Megabytes=MB
    MoreInfo=What data does this error report contain?
    ErrorSubPath=Generic\clr20r3\homeserverconsole.exe\6.0.0.0\4acceb5f\whscommon\6.0.0.0\4accead8\334\1b\system.argumentoutofrange
    Heap=mdmpmem.hdmp
    Stage1URL=/StageOne/Generic/clr20r3/homeserverconsole.exe/6.0.0.0/4acceb5f/whscommon/6.0.0.0/4accead8/334/1b/system.argumentoutofrange.htm
    Stage2URL=/dw/generictwo.asp?EventType=clr20r3&P1=homeserverconsole.exe&P2=6.0.0.0&P3=4acceb5f&P4=whscommon&P5=6.0.0.0&P6=4accead8&P7=334&P8=1b&P9=system.argumentoutofrange&Sig=NA
    General_Reportee=Microsoft
    BP0=clr20r3
    BP1=homeserverconsole.exe
    BP2=6.0.0.0
    BP3=4acceb5f
    BP4=whscommon
    BP5=6.0.0.0
    BP6=4accead8
    BP7=334
    BP8=1b
    BP9=system.argumentoutofrange
    BP10=NIL
    CBP=11
    DWVer0=11
    DWVer1=0
    DWVer2=8160
    DWVer3=0
    Details_Sig_Body=EventType : clr20r3     P1 : homeserverconsole.exe     P2 : 6.0.0.0    
    P3 : 4acceb5f     P4 : whscommon     P5 : 6.0.0.0     P6 : 4accead8     P7 : 334
    P8 : 1b     P9 : system.argumentoutofrange    
    QueueMode=268435458
    EventID=5000
    ReportingFlags=14
    UIFlags=69
    LoggingFlags=0
    MiscFlags=0
    EventLogSource=.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    General_AppName=HomeServerConsole.exe
    Final_Link=Prevent this problem in the future

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:00 PM
  • W7 updates in Jan & June 2010 for my PC's have immediately created a runtime error in WHS which has stopped all access to the server and I receive a certificate error. Similar posts have appeared on this forum since 2007 and the perceived problem appears to be that installing .NET 3.0 somehow causes ASP.NET to reference System.ServiceModel (possibly indirectly). At this point I see no solution to regaining access to my server unless a restore to factory settings is done.

If so what change/update to WHS do I then need to do after recovery? What version of .NET and ASP.NET are required and what versions is WHS currently running? The server is a 32-bit Acer and all my PC's are 64 bit - will changing the server to an Acer 64-bit resolve the problem or is it just as likely to recur at the next W7 updates? 

On the pc side is there any software that I should be downloading/updating? What I appear to be running is:  Microsoft: SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition 3.1.000 & Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0  & Sync Framework Services native v1.0 (x86) 1.0.1215.0. Windows Home server Connector 6.0.2423.0.

As the W7 auto updates will continue I surely need to update software on the WHS side however this may not be correct technically to resolve the problem. I just can't have the server falling over every time there is a W7 pc update. Advice please on what I need to update within:

1) WHS software version and any further manual updates of specific files?

2) W7 64 bit software on PC's?

3) Hardware - Server change to Acer 64-bit from current Acer 32-bit?  

Just out of curiosity, did you ever install any updates from the server desktop (specifically, any Software, Optional ones)?
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:33 PM
  •  Hello antfortas,

My answers are inline again.  Although I will say that I may not have all of the answers you need (so hopefully one of the more experienced posters will provide better ones).

First the link.  That was a mistake due to my method of accessing the forum.  I'll repost it here, and hopefully it will work correctly this ti me.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/fc370 97a-fc9d-4bc0-8764-1698d53bdef9

(in the previous posting, there was a space between the fc370 and the 97a- which caused the link to not work properly.  if the link doesn't work properly here, you can copy and paste both "halves" the actual link  and the rest of it up to the final / from my earlier post into notepad to create the entire link, and paste that into your browser).
     On 6/27/2010 12:45 PM, antfortas wrote:

Hi these

thanks for replying and sorry for the delay in responding to you.

The link you supplied when copied and pasted into IE8 produces a 404 er ror - page not found.

There is no check box presented to tick - if there was one only present ed the first time the warning appeared then I missed that but logically t he box should appear until I decide to tick it.

Regarding #6 - yes this is the same warning I receive and if I choose t o continue to the website (not recommended) I then receive the same appli cation error as detailed in #5.

Regarding "you'll find out that while you're trying to access it from h ttps://servername the certificate is registered to yourname.homeserver.co m (which causes the mismatch)." REPLY - The certificate is in the single  name of the server - there is no homeserver.com as thehttp://www.SERVER.h omeserver.com was never set-up. Could this be the problem causing the mis match that when a server is named but the WHS remote www route using home server.com is not established that this causes some sort of mismatch in a ddresses and then a certificate error? Is something/somewhere in an updat e assuming that the WHS remote connection is setup within the WHS softwar e? Separately I am now using the Remote Desktop Connection in W7 which is  a different method from the WHS connection setup. The W7 R.D.C. appears  more reliable, quicker to connect and the only thing not possible is the  backup which needs the WHS connector route to run. Is the sole purpose of  the WHS connector to provide backup on the server for (W7 Home and other  versions) users who only have the DVD backup option. Question - if I upg rade W7 to the next level which allows server backups will this make the  WHS connector redundant and I can then only use W7 Remote Desktop Connect ion route - or does it have some other function that is not obvious to th e user? If backup is the only reason for the WHS connector then Microsoft  need to give some serious thought to having one consistent platform (Rem ote Desktop Connection) for all servers including WHS to facilitate backu p.

You'll get the mismatch regardless of whether you've set up Remote Access (the mydomain.homeserver.com) or not.  This is because the security certificates will be registered as mydomain.homeserver.com and you'll be accessing them as myserver or via the IP Address. Remote Access is just the way that you can get to your server (and to other computers on your network from the server) from outside of your local network.

Remote Desktop Connection isn't meant to be a backup solution.  And in fact, it's not really meant to be used with Windows Home Server at all.   From what you said, I'm assuming that when you connect through Remote Desktop Connection, you get an actual desktop with a taskbar at the bottom and icons.  If this is accurate, then you can use that to troubleshoot.  If not, then I may be at a loss (since I don't have a commercial server, I installed the operating system on a home-built syste m).

So...

If you have a desktop when you connect (and log in as Administrator with  your home server password).  There should be an icon for the Windows Home Server Console there.  You can use that to make sure that the settings are correct (and also to configure the Remote Access if you wish ).

If you click on Start, you may see an option for "Event Viewer".  If not, then you'll want to go into Control Panel and then Administrative Tools, and it will be there.  (If you have the Administrative Tools submenu on your start or in the Programs list, you can get to Event Viewer from there as well).

In Event Viewer, you can double click on an event to open up the details.  Then you can copy and paste the details to your reply.  Also, there will be an up arrow and down arrow that you can use to scroll through the events.  The only ones that you want are the Error ones.  These indicate that something went wrong (where the information and warnings just tell you that something happened and that something may not have been expected, respectively).

You can also do the Windows Updates through the Programs Menu (or more preferably through your Console Settings "Update Now" button).

While there are a lot of things you CAN do in Remote Desktop, none of them are supported, and most of them are things that will mess it up if you don't know what you're doing.  So, for now, I would stick to using the Console in there and Event Viewer (and the Windows Updates).
     > Regarding "In laymen's terms this is the same thing as if your real (le gal) is John, and everyone, aside from coworkers, calls you "Jack", if a  friend of yours went to your company and said "I want to talk with 'Jack' ", the  receptionist wouldn't know who they were referring to."  REPLY -  while I understand the logic I fail to see where a change in name can ari se when the server has only been assigned one specific name to it unless  there is dyslexia algorithm at work here? It seems illogical that a name  change could be possible.

I'll try to explain the logic like this.  If you sign everything with your full name (legal documents) would you want someone to be able to withdraw money from your bank account by using a nickname of yours?  Essentially it's the same thing with the security certificates.  They are essentially saying 'This server is called xxxxx" and you're trying to use yyyy to access it.

Let me put it like this.  You're accessing this forum through social.microsoft.com however the server that it's hosted on could actually be called "Fred".  From outside of the network, it has to be accessed through social.microsoft.com but inside the network, it can be accessed as Fred.  However they don't want the entire world to know it's  internal name, so they don't have a security certificate for "Fred".  The caveat to this is, when you access it as "Fred", Remote Desktop Connection will check to see if that's the name on the Security Certificate-- and give you a warning when it's not.

In your case, if you haven't created a domain at homeserver.com, there probably isn't a server certificate at all.  Which is one reason you're getting the errors.  However, if you have created a domain at homeserver.com, then it's giving you the errors because the certificates  on WHS all say your domain name (mydomain.homeserver.com) and you're trying to use a different name.  Which is why I said, if you're on the same local network, and you get the server certificate errors, you can ignore them.  But you shouldn't ignore them if it's a domain that you don't own.

As for the /Application message, can you post the entire message (the entire page) in a reply?  But, do me one favor.  If it mentions your domain name, server name, or IP Address, please replace that with ****'s  (as you don't want everyone knowing that information).

QUESTION: When the home Server Connector attempts to log onto the serve r what route is it taking - HTTP/HTTPS/WWW(if set-up)/Internal pathway es tablished during installation? Better understanding this may explain why  the route/pathway has been changed as it doesn't appear to be blocked or  the remote desktop would not be able to find the server either.

LASTLY: Are there error logs within WHS which can be accessed? If there  are I can advise the error message and if there is no error log this may  indicate a W7 problem which was the cause at each of the last two W7 upd ates.

Thanks

For the QUESTION: On my system, I have a connection on Port 445 (TCP) which is the Microsoft directory Services port.  As for protocols, it doesn't use HTTP, HTTPS, or WWW to work.  HTTP is typically Port 80, HTTPS is Port 443, (WWW is HTTP by a more familiar name), and RDP (Remote Desktop's protocol) is Port 3389.  TCP is just the way it makes sure that the information is sent and received reliably.  It's a lot like a telephone conversation, in that it guarantees that both ends of the "conversation" here what the other is saying (or in the case of data, gets exactly what the other is sending).

I see you found an error log, and I would also suggest looking at the Event Viewer, as that will have more information about what's happening in the server.

Hope this helps explain things, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:38 PM
  • This is in answer to Kayiya21

No - any updates have only been thru the WHS auto-update function and I have not installed any other software.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hi

I will check the revised link separately.

REGARDING: You'll get the mismatch regardless of whether you've set up Remote Access (the mydomain.homeserver.com) or not.  This is because the security certificates will be registered as mydomain.homeserver.com and you'll be accessing them as myserver or via the IP Address. Remote Access is just the way that you can get to your server (and to other computers on your network from the server) from outside of your local network.

REPLY: I only got a certificate mismatch for the first time after the W7 updates - until then what was the W7/WHS software reading/comparing as there was no Certificate Security Warning prior to the update. Something had to be changed during that update. Your explanation implies that there always should be a mismatch between the 3 "names" of the server however that definitely has not been the case prior to the W7 update i.e. no runtime error, no certificate warning, full access by WHS connector. The software update had to contain a change which consequently and immediately produced all 3 problems I'm encountering.

If I ignore the security certificate problem and the application runtime error I still have the connector not working/no back-up. I need a solution - hopefully other than a Factory Reset.

Please advise how to access the Event Viewer and I will take a look and publish here with anything of interest. The error log provided must mean something to a WHS programmer and I am still seeking clarification on this. The software produced it for a reason and should be in a format understandable to those programmers working with WHS.

Specifically, how does the WHS connector connect to the server, which port does it use and has the runtime error been created because coding has been updated incorrectly to change the pathway that WHS connector normally uses but has not affected the Remote desktop connection route?

Thanks

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:57 PM
  •  On 6/27/2010 2:57 PM, antfortas wrote:

Hi

I will check the revised link separately.

REGARDING: You'll get the mismatch regardless of whether you've set up Remote Access (the mydomain.homeserver.com) or not.  This is because the security certificates will be registered as mydomain.homeserver.com and you'll be accessing them as myserver or via the IP Address. Remote Access is just the way that you can get to your server (and to other computers on your network from the server) from outside of your local network.

REPLY: I only got a certificate mismatch for the first time after the W7 updates - until then what was the W7/WHS software reading/comparing as there was no Certificate Security Warning prior to the update. Something had to be changed during that update. Your explanation implies that there always should be a mismatch between the 3 "names" of the server however that definitely has not been the case prior to the W7 update i.e. no runtime error, no certificate warning, full access by WHS connector. The software update had to contain a change which consequently and immediately produced all 3 problems I'm encountering.

The mismatch only should happen when you try to access the server through your web browser (using https://servername instead of https://mydomain.homeserver.com ) because with the "s", you're trying to create a secured connection between your computer and the server.  So, it shouldn't happen if you type http://servername or http://mydomain.homeserver.com at all.  The same thing applies for Remote Desktop Connection--you're establishing a secured connection between your computer and the server's desktop.

The connector software doesn't do this (at least not in the same way that Remote Desktop does), so it won't (shouldn't) produce any certificate errors at all.

If I ignore the security certificate problem and the application runtime error I still have the connector not working/no back-up. I need a solution - hopefully other than a Factory Reset.

Please advise how to access the Event Viewer and I will take a look and publish here with anything of interest. The error log provided must mean something to a WHS programmer and I am still seeking clarification on this. The software produced it for a reason and should be in a format understandable to those programmers working with WHS.

Specifically, how does the WHS connector connect to the server, which port does it use and has the runtime error been created because coding has been updated incorrectly to change the pathway that WHS connector normally uses but has not affected the Remote desktop connection route?

Thanks

To get to the Event Viewer, you have to open Remote Desktop Connection, and connect to the server using the Administrator username and the WHS Password that you set up.  Then when the desktop opens (I'm assuming you've done this as you posted a log that came from Windows Home Server, If I understood correctly), you'll click the Start Button and go to Control Panel.  In there, click on Administrative Tools, and then Event Viewer.

If you do get to the desktop though, before going through the Event Viewer, you may want to open the Console there.  That will do two things:  1)  make sure that it works correctly and 2) allow you to check (and fix) settings and update WHS.  Both of which may fix the problem.

Have you updated today?

Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I have been monitoring this thread because I have a similar problem to antfortas .  I, too, believe the problem stems from recent windows updates, but in my case, at least, I suspect the server itself.  Perhaps this additional info can help bound the problem:

1. Until early this week (exact time is not known), I had access to my server from all of my clients using the connector. 

2. I have four clients - three running XP Home version and one running Win 7 64-bit.  I can ping the server by name and ip address from all clients.

3.  Starting three days ago I was unable to access the server via the connector from ALL clients.  Remote Desktop still works on all clients.  This timing corresponds to Net Framework updates on the server and two of the other clients.  One of the clients has been offline and has not been updated via Windows Update for over 90 days, so it has not had any recent updates, but it still cannot access the server using the connector.

4. I ran Discovery.exe form the WHS program directory and then examined the logs created in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.  I do not have the technical background to understand the logs completely, but I have gleaned this much from the logs:

4a. The log corresponding to the discovery.exe execution shows an error returned from a call to m_PartnerManager.

4b. At the exact same time (timestamp match) of the error in the discovery.exe log, the log for PartnerManager indicates it is attempting ServerJoin and reports an HTTP code of 500 from the server, indicating a web server error. I believe this is a server error and has nothing to do with the client. Unfortunately, I am fumbling to trace the error further, so I cannot add much.

5. I have run the Connector TroubleShooter, too, and the log it generates (same location) also indicates that the server has returned an internal server error code 500 while trying to access hint.aspx during one of the failed tests. Likewise for id.aspx.

6. The only changes to my server in the past week have been Windows updates to Net Framework.  I tried to reverse a couple and I tried reinstalling Net Framework 3.5 SP1.  No Luck.

The funny thing about all of this is that, like antfortas, I ALSO RUN MY SERVER WITH REMOTE ACCESS DISABLED.  It has never been enabled because I only access it from my local LAN so it gives me one less thing to worry about.

My conclusions (though somewhat unscientific) are

1. The problem is with the Server.  It is too coincidental that several clients with different OS configurations and update levels would all have this problem, and the HTTP code of 500 is exclusively related to server issues - at least from what I can determine online.

2. I suspect (with admittedly no proof) that the problem is associated with Net Framework updates to the server, specifically for servers where remote access is not enabled, although, I cant really say why.

3. I am wondering - and this is REALLY a reach - if something was changed (configuration?) during the updates that works fine where remote access is used and a domain name is defined for web access, but breaks the web server where remote access is not configured and no domain name is defined.  Hows that for groping?

Then again, I could be full of it, but I thought the coincidences were worth noting.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Hi there

I have reviewed the event viewer for the 24th June when the W7 updates were installed at close down of my pc and found the following Application Event that seems to match against the problems I subsequently encountered with the certificate etc. If I understand correctly Registry entries have been removed incorrectly by this update process and more than likely have created the subsequent problems. If this is a standard W7 Procedure then the same would have happened the last time in January - which it did - and will happen again even if I restore the server unless this registry deletion is stopped. Any comments from more knowledgeable individuals would be most welcome and particularly WHS/W7 programmers who are most familiar with this update to explain why an event_hive_leak would occur to allow unloading of files and how to correct.

OVERVIEW:

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards." followed later by "EventData Name="EVENT_HIVE_LEAK"><Data Name="Detail">20 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000: and included in there was:

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Disallowed

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Disallowed

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPeople

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\trust

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\SmartCardRoot

FULL EVENT LOG ENTRY BELOW

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service

Date:          24/06/2010 10:48:36 PM

Event ID:      1530

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      User-PC

Description:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -

20 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000:

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Disallowed

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Disallowed

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPeople

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA

Process 600 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\lsass.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\trust

Process 288 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\SmartCardRoot

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" />

<EventID>1530</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-06-25T01:48:36.303483000Z" />

<EventRecordID>18536</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{00000100-0000-0000-E5DC-4067BA13CB01}" />

<Execution ProcessID="288" ThreadID="2180" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>user-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData Name="EVENT_HIVE_LEAK">

<Data Name="Detail">20 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000:

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:03 AM
  • To add to my reply. When these W7 updates were being installed in my pc as it was closing down the server was still open. These updates appear to need to be applied when the user pc is closing down however if the server is still running ( Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services) = the server - then registry files are incorrectly deleted. That implies that the W7 updates do not take into account that a (Home) server can still be running on the network at the time it updates a pc which was connected to the server thru a local (home) network ? 

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:14 AM
  •  On 6/27/2010 7:14 PM, antfortas wrote:

To add to my reply. When these W7 updates were being installed in my pc as it was closing down the server was still open. These updates appear to need to be applied when the user pc is closing down however if the server is still running ( *Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services) = the server - *then registry files are incorrectly deleted. That implies that the W7 updates do not take into account that a (Home) server can still be running on the network at the time it updates a pc which was connected to the server thru a local (home) network ?

Hi Antfortas,

I'm not sure what to tell you about the event viewer errors.  Did you get these from your Windows 7 Event Viewer, or the one from Windows Home Server?

Also, I need to clear something up for you (and anyone else experiencing these issues).  The problem with the server is most likely not caused by a Windows 7 Update.  However at the same time that Windows 7 was updating, so was Windows Home Server.  So, most likely it's an update on Windows Home Server that's breaking things (not Windows 7).

The server is a separate computer, so it will stay open while you're updating Windows 7.  One of the other experts will correct this, but I don't think the Connector would have been doing anything in the registry at all.. Definitely not while you were getting updates (or rebooting to make sure the updates installed).

Try this, if you can.  On your Windows 7 client, run System Restore (Start orb --> All Programs ---> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore).  Try restoring to a point before June 24, 2010.  This will require you to let the computer sit (while it's restoring) and then it will reboot the computer.  After you've done the restore, see if you can access your server (you may have to use discovery.exe in the C:\Program FIles\Windows Home Server folder to reconnect).

If you're able to get connected to the server, open Windows Update and check for updates.  Don't install them, but come back here and let us know which updates are available.  We may have you restore them one at a time, and connect to the server--just to see which one "breaks" the connection, if any.  Or we may have you install them all at once again.

HOWEVER...  If after doing the System Restore, you're not able to connect to the server, then it's probably an update on the server that's causing the issue.  We'll have to figure it out from that point on.

Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Hi

Between last night and this morning has there been another server update?

The control panel/administrative viewer & IE8 have now disappeared - however I could still access by taking out the server hard disk, putting it into an external hard-drive box and manually accessing the logs. If I go this route what is the file location of the logs kept within the SYS folder?

Regarding the logs I copied over last night, (Header below) it can't be too difficult to figure out which group within Microsoft ran this program - either W7 or WHS and in either case why were registry entries being deleted. Reading the entries it appears that System Certificates registry items were being deleted and corresponds directly to the Certificate error, runtime error and loss of connection. From memory, the next log entry warning was that WLAN had been stopped successfully. Let me know if you want me to access the server SYS files using the external hard drive box. 

Is the recommended system restore to attempt restoring the connection by the WHS connector (which I subsequently uninstalled - hence no backup now)? If this doesn't work then will the remote desktop connector still function to allow me access and separately if the system restore fails to re-establish connection to the server then is the only alternative left a Factory Reset (please let me avoid..)? Let me know and I will then run the restore if the RDC will be unaffected.

I have some other matters to deal with today and I will check for responses and do my best to reply ASAP.

Thanks

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service

Date:          24/06/2010 10:48:36 PM

Event ID:      1530

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      User-PC

Description:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

EventData Name="EVENT_HIVE_LEAK">

<Data Name="Detail">20 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-829686965-390338947-4015410353-1000:

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Which version of .NET Framework/ASP.NET is shown in the bottom of the output, if you open the site http://yourservername:55000/enrollid/id.aspx?

If it is version 1.x, this will be the reason. If this is the case, you may have installed something, which added .NET Framework version 1 to your server and changed the settings globally for the server. WHS needs version 2 (or later).
    Maybe changing all related version entries in Internet Information Services on the WHS website will fix the issue. If not, only a server reinstall remains.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Hi

Unfortunately I receive the following message copied below - another runtime error - and also I have not installed any software for some time and the problems occurred at the same time as the windows 7 (+ WHS ?) updates. The server has been on auto-update only so when did WHS update users from .Net 1.x and surely this had to come as an auto update? I even click the update now function occasionally and the message is that there is no new update available.   

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Server Error in '/EnrollId' Application.

Runtime Error

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:20 PM
  • By the way

I received a link from PatrickDickey on Friday (see earlier above in this thread) and installed so I guess that it must currently be .Net 4.0 however that is unlikely to be what it was at the time the problem occurred.  

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hi

Unfortunately I receive the following message copied below - another runtime error - and also I have not installed any software for some time and the problems occurred at the same time as the windows 7 (+ WHS ?) updates. The server has been on auto-update only so when did WHS update users from .Net 1.x and surely this had to come as an auto update? I even click the update now function occasionally and the message is that there is no new update available.   

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
     <system.web>
     <customErrors mode="Off"/>
     </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
     <system.web>
     <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
     </system.web>
    </configuration>

Runtime Error

Again, I have the exact same problem and get the same response when trying to access the server as suggested by Olaf.  The same happens from all four of my clients. 

Since the text implies that the actual error info is not passed to clients for security reasons, I went to the server using the Remote Desktop and tried to open the server web site using IE running there - i.e., I did as Olaf suggested from IE on the server.  I get the following response  (note that formatting was altered by cutting and pasting from server to the pc I am using for this response, because I had to save it to an rtf file on one of the shares to pass it on):

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error:

Line 2:  <configuration>

Line 3:         <appSettings/>

Line 4:      <connectionStrings/>

Line 5:      <system.web>

Line 6:                      <compilation debug="true"/>

Source File: C:\inetpub\intranet\web.config Line: 4

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2460

----------------------------------------------

I then opened the offending file in Notepad and commented out the offending line, but then I got another similar error in another file, so I stopped - assuming this was likely to continue.  I do not have it handy, but I could resurrect the 2nd error it if necessary.

I notice that the Net framework version is 1.1.4322. According to Olaf (I personally do not know), it seems that this should be at least v2.  Could it be that the "connectionStrings" configuration is not valid for v1.1 but IS valid for v2 (and above) and somehow, all of this is a side-effect of an update problem that is causing the wrong Net Framework (and ASP.NET??) versions to be running?  If so, how do I make the proper versions run?

Monday, June 28, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Just to add to the preceding -

I have confirmed that connectionStrings is a configuration that is new with Net Framework v2.0.  See

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bf7sd233.aspx

I do not know if this is the problem with antfortas' situation, but it appears to be mine.  How do I force the proper versions to be used?

Is it possible to somehow install all of this stuff over?  Note that I have manually installed Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and it didn't fix the problem.  I do not know if antfortas has the same problem, but apparently he installed Net Framework 4.0 and it did not fix his problem either.  At least that much is consistent.

Oh - when I installed Net Framework 3.5 SP1, I was given the choice of "uninstall" or "repair" and chose the latter.  I wanted to uninstall and then re-install, but I was worried that uninstalling it might actually break my ability to get back to the server (via Remote Desktop), so it would effectively break my re-install.  It certainly seems plausible that a "repair" operation might not reset which version is in use.  I'm willing to uninstall and reinstall NF 3.5 in an attempt to fix things if someone can confirm I will not have a problem getting back to the server via Remote Desktop after the uninstall step.

Monday, June 28, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi

I went back to the other thread I originally started regarding this problem:

"W7 updates immediately followed by...WHS connector cannot connect to Server"

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ce1be759-4d75-4512-a406-ca9be927b3f7

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:39 PM

and copied over an earlier post I made. At the bottom the advised version on the server was:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2460 and this was then upgraded to .Net 4.0 as already advised earlier today.

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Source Error:

Line 10: <configuration>
    Line 11:  <appSettings/>
    Line 12:  <connectionStrings/>
    Line 13:  <system.web>
    Line 14:   <!--

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config    Line: 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2460

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:17 PM
  • antfortas-

I had this exact same problem - same error, same line, same file.  I am convinced it is a version problem because the connectionStrings configuration is NOT supported by Net Framework 1.1 (see my previous link).  I just do not know how to safely peel off the layers of Net Framework updates (are there other updates to worry about, too??) and reinstall them.  I can certainly go to my server using Remote Desktop and start uninstalling updates via control panel, but I am afraid I will break my ability to use Remote Desktop in the process and will end up with an inaccessible server that requires updates.

I suppose I could just uninstall things and rely on the server to update itself automatically if I break the accessibility, but this sounds iffy.

I am no expert, but I know the versions of Net Framework are layered and the existence of 4.0 does not mean that 1.1 is gone.  In your case I suspect that your installation of 4.0 proceeded like my installation of 3.5(SP1).  The software was installed, but the server was never reconfigured to use the new version (registry changes, I assume) and is still trying to parse the web.config file using v1.1 software. This is why it barfs on the connectionStrings configuration, which was introduced in v2.0.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:38 PM
  • One clarification-

Yesterday I tried entering //servername in IE while using IE on the Remote Desktop on the server.  I got the EXACT response you describe (line 12, connectionStrings error).

My post earlier today describes essentially the same error while trying to access id.aspx as suggested by Olaf (still using IE on the server via Remote Desktop).

Just thought I'd clarify the apparent inconsistency.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Hi Puterputterer

At least we have a consistent problem that 2 users can separately replicate.

I also posted earlier this morning

"Between last night and this morning has there been another server update?

The control panel/administrative viewer & IE8 have now disappeared - however I could still access by taking out the server hard disk, putting it into an external hard-drive box and manually accessing the logs. If I go this route what is the file location of the logs kept within the SYS folder?"

All I now have on my Remote Desktop is the Recyle Bin, Shared Folders Shortcut and Windows Home Server Console which allows me into the console. Any idea what has happened to the control panel & IE8 and how to re-locate?

Thanks

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:59 PM
  • I currently have updates on my server disabled, so I don't know about that.

I'm not sure of your computer expertise, so excuse the following if it seems insulting -

If you have simply lost the icons and shortcuts, I would guess you can still get to the programs from the start menu if you grope around a bit. YOu might also try right-clicking on the start button and selecting "Properties".  From there select the start menu tab and then hit the "customize button". From there you can select the appropriate option to add control panel to the start menu.  Assuming that is successful, then you can get to the administrative viewer from control panel.

You might want to avoid moving the drive from one machine to another.  Who knows what little tidbits might get altered when viewing events logged on the server from a viewer app on a different machine.  On the other hand, desperate times sometimes dictate desperate measures.

Like I said. I'm no expert. I hope this helps.

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for replying. Rather odd however when the remote desktop is maximized to fit the PC monitor size there is no scroll bar on the R/H/S therefore no way to scroll down - which you should not need to do if the page is auto adjusted to fit the PC monitor. I then reduced the size of the Remote Desktop page (I use 2 monitors ) and dragged it across to the larger monitor and maximised to check and the START button and IE8 minimised are now there at the bottom-left. This would seem to indicate that when the page is moved from larger to smaller monitor that the auto adjust to smaller screen size is not fully functioning/tempremental. I have never encountered that type of problem before as I use 2 screens all the time. Anyways thanks for your suggestions.

I guess that we now wait for the WHS Programmers to post again hopefully with a solution that does not require a Factory Reset and will not recur going forward.

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:01 PM
  •  On 6/28/2010 11:17 AM, antfortas wrote:

Hi

I went back to the other thread I originally started regarding this problem:

"W7 updates immediately followed by...WHS connector cannot connect to Server"

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ce1be759-4d75-4512-a406-ca9be927b3f7

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:39 PM

and copied over an earlier post I made. At the bottom the advised version on the server was:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2460 and this was then upgraded to .Net 4.0 as already advised earlier today.

Configuration Error

Source Error:

Line 10:<configuration>
    Line 11:<appSettings/>
    Line 12:<connectionStrings/>
    Line 13:<system.web>
    Line 14:<!--

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config    Line: 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For both of you (antfortas and Puterputterer), I would wait to see if Olaf has an idea on how to fix the problem.  He mentioned going into the Server, and changing the references in IIS to 2.0.  As for how to do this, I'm not sure (nor am I sure about exactly what you'll want to put in there for a number).  So, I would wait and see what his advice is.

I may dig around in my server, and try to get the steps and information.  But, at this time, I would defer to whatever Olaf says, as he is more experienced with this than myself.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi

I am no expert and I would not expect too be digging around in the server files to sort this problem and I did not buy to do so. This needs to be an automated update solution from WHS that will finally resolve the problems without the need for a Factory Reset and will not recur at the next W7/WHS update.  

Thanks for your ongoing input and suggestions.

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:08 PM
  •  On 6/28/2010 8:54 AM, Olaf Engelke [MVP] wrote:

Which version of .NET Framework/ASP.NET is shown in the bottom of the output, if you open the sitehttp://yourservername:55000/enrollid/id.aspx?

If it is version 1.x, this will be the reason. If this is the case, you may have installed something, which added .NET Framework version 1 to your server and changed the settings globally for the server. WHS needs version 2 (or later).
    Maybe changing all related version entries in Internet Information Services on the WHS website will fix the issue. If not, only a server reinstall remains.

Olaf

Olaf,

Quick question...  On a properly functioning website, what should you see here?  The only thing I see that even resembles a .NET Framework version is <version>6.0xxx</version> right before my Certificate entry.  So, will this only show up in an error message, or is that the correct versioning number that they need?

Also, I had to get to it in stages (probably since mine is functioning).  I first went to my server page at http://myserversname  Then I erased the /home/default.aspx?....  portion, and added the :55000 to it.  Finally I erased everything after the first / and added the enrollid/id.aspx to it..  That worked (however just copying the :55000/enrollid/id.aspx from your suggestion failed).

Have a great day:)
    Patrick
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Success!!   (I think)

I am now able to connect to my server with the connector.

Using Remote Desktop, I opened control panel->Administrative Tools -> IIS Manager

Click on the + next to your server to expand it

Click on the + next to "Web sites" to expand it.

Right click on "WHS site" and select Properties

Click on the ASP.NET tab

Click on the version drop down

Select the appropriate version - in my case the only choice other than the (wrong) one in use was 2.xxx

Apply and save etc.

Check access using //servername:55000, etc.

It works properly

Check access using connector

Success.

Now I need to know whether I applied the version number at the right point in the hierarchy.  I applied it to "WHS Site", but not to "default Web site", so I will experiment there and update you again.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Okay, I think I have it fixed, but let me outline the progression so others might comment.

I was able to apply the new ASP.NET version to the "default Web site", so I can now access the server using \\servername

Then things went awry...

I tried to install the connector on my Win 7 PC and it failed.  II had removed it with the intent of reinstalling it when I first encountered this problem because I had read several suggestions that this might fix the access problem.  Anyway, the install failed. Since I am a Win 7 noob and I can never find/access log files and such readily, I went back to one of my XP PCs to investigate.  I ran discovery.exe there and it failed as before.

The log indicated that it progressed farther than it did previously.  Before my HTTP GET operations were getting a code of 500, and now they are okay, but the PUT operations are failing with the 500 code.  The bottom line is that SERVERJOIN was failing.

I went the server and looked at the application event log and it had an error indicating that "it is not possible to run two versions of ASP.Net in the same process".  So I assumed I failed to convert the version on something.

I went back to IIS Manager and went through "WHS site" and "default Web site" converting each item's ASP.NET version to 2.xxx individually and.....I was able to execute discovery.exe on my XP machine to completion.

Having succeed at this I tried to install the connector on my Win 7 machine again.  This finally worked, but when I tried to connect to the server I got a timeout and a message indicating "The terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections."

I am going to reboot my Win 7 PC and the server and see if that fixes things.  Since I can't save the preceding text across boots easily, I will provide hopefully one last update after rebooting.

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:21 PM
  • I rebooted the server and the Win 7 PC was finally able to connect with the installed WHX connector.  ALL IS WELL.

At this point I think everything works, BUT SINCE THIS WAS A BRUTE FORCE FIX, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF ONE OF THE EXPERTS WOULD TELL ME IF THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE LURKING THAT THEY MIGHT CAUTION ME ABOUT.

Simply stated:

1. The problem was that in IIS on the server, an incorrect (back level) version of ASP.NET was associated with the "WHS site" components and the "default Web site" components.

2. Using the ASP.NET tab on the Properties dialog on each of the parts of these two sites, I manually changed the version to 2.xxxx and now everything works.

Since I do not understand a lot about the implications of these changes, I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable (Olaf?) might tell me if my manual update strategy might have missed something obvious.

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Hi puterputterer

Firstly, congratulations on your manual workaround!!

Unfortunately myself and I suspect many other WHS users have little technical expertise and require an automated update solution. The steps you advise can be replicated (I have not attempted) however that is not how to run a Microsoft badged system and Olaf or a.n.other WHS Programmer needs to get the fix released (if your workaround works in the bigger picture) using WHS auto-update. As I originally raised this matter in the forum I would be happy to test/confirm that a solution using auto-update is successful otherwise potentially other WHS users will run into exactly the same problem. What concerns me is that I first identified a problem in the January W7 update yet your solution appears to ignore that connection however from my experience the W7 update is in some way/shape/form still connected to the problem UNLESS the WHS updates were released at the very same time (logical assumption?) and WHS update (or lack of)  has always the root problem? The manual workaround may fall over at the next W7 update unless an auto fix is released including an update to the correct version of .Net and ASP.NET and so far I have not seen any explanation as to why WHS is still sitting at version1.x? That seems very odd to me.   

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:36 PM
  •  On 6/28/2010 4:36 PM, antfortas wrote:

Hi puterputterer

Firstly, congratulations on your manual workaround!!

Unfortunately myself and I suspect many other WHS users have little tec hnical expertise and require an automated update solution. The steps you  advise can be replicated (I have not attempted) however that is not how t o run a Microsoft badged system and Olaf or a.n.other WHS Programmer need s to get the fix released (if your workaround works in the bigger picture ) using WHS auto-update. As I originally raised this matter in the forum  I would be happy to test/confirm that a solution using auto-update is suc cessful otherwise potentially other WHS users will run into exactly the s ame problem. What concerns me is that I first identified a problem in the  January W7 update yet your solution appears to ignore that connection ho wever from my experience the W7 update is in some way/shape/form still co nnected to the problem UNLESS the WHS updates were released at the very s ame time (logical assumption?) and WHS update (or lack of)  has always th e root problem? The manual workaround may fall over at the next W7 update  unless an auto fix is released including an update to the correct versio n of .Net and ASP.NET and so far I have not seen any explanation as to wh y WHS is still sitting at version1.x? That seems very odd to me.

I'm of the mindset of "By any means necessary", so I would say that as long as someone gives you the steps, then you can reasonably do it.  Even though using Remote Desktop Connection is not supported, if it's a choice between doing a Remote Desktop Connection (with the proper steps to follow) and doing a factory reset, I would go with the unsupported fix .

Both Windows 7 and WHS (in fact ALL versions of Windows) receive their updates on the same day (if there are updates available for the particular version).  Microsoft releases updates on the second Tuesday of every month (Patch Tuesday).  Sometimes they don't have an update for  a particular version/architecture, but typically each version has it's own updates (whether they apply to other versions or not).

So yes, it's just coincidence that in January and June, Microsoft released updates for Windows Home Server that broke things.  But it's intentional that you received updates for Windows 7 on the same days.

As for the manual workaround, as long as Microsoft doesn't release another update that switches the version back to 1.1, it won't matter if  you wait for them to fix it automatically or fix it yourself.  Either way, it will be fixed.

Hope this helps and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Hi Patrick

I will take a look at the manual workaround tomorrow morning my time and post the result. I agree regarding this may be preferable to a factory reset in this instance however I'm concerned regarding the indication that a Microsoft release sets back the switch to an earlier version. That makes no sense to me when there are more current releases available so will the WHS team be in contact with the W7 team to ensure this does not happen again? It also does not make sense to me that only 2 users have reported the identical problem so what is different for all the other WHS users? I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has been putting in to solve this puzzle but I still have the feeling that something/somewhere that has still to be identified. As I updated to .Net 4.0 with the link you sent me is it actually still possible for a release to set the switch back to V1.x or will WHS be releasing an update to stop this happening?   

As Olaf Engelke is 5 hours ahead of me will he be posting anything for my opening to further clarify/resolve the problem. It would be good to get his further insight into this before I attempt tomorrow morning.  

Thanks

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Hi Patrick

I will take a look at the manual workaround tomorrow morning my time and post the result. I agree regarding this may be preferable to a factory reset in this instance however I'm concerned regarding the indication that a Microsoft release sets back the switch to an earlier version. That makes no sense to me when there are more current releases available so will the WHS team be in contact with the W7 team to ensure this does not happen again? It also does not make sense to me that only 2 users have reported the identical problem so what is different for all the other WHS users? 

I don't know.  All I can say is my WHS and all clients (XP Pro and 7 Ultimate x64) continue to function normally after installing all of the updates on all of the computers.

I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has been putting in to solve this puzzle but I still have the feeling that something/somewhere that has still to be identified. As I updated to .Net 4.0 with the link you sent me is it actually still possible for a release to set the switch back to V1.x or will WHS be releasing an update to stop this happening?

As Olaf Engelke is 5 hours ahead of me will he be posting anything for my opening to further clarify/resolve the problem. It would be good to get his further insight into this before I attempt tomorrow morning.  

Thanks

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:27 AM
  •  On 6/28/2010 10:14 PM, antfortas wrote:

Hi Patrick

I will take a look at the manual workaround tomorrow morning my time an d post the result. I agree regarding this may be preferable to a factory  reset in this instance however I'm concerned regarding the indication tha t a Microsoft release sets back the switch to an earlier version. That ma kes no sense to me when there are more current releases available so will  the WHS team be in contact with the W7 team to ensure this does not happ en again? It also does not make sense to me that only 2 users have report ed the identical problem so what is different for all the other WHS users ? I appreciate all the time and effort everyone has been putting in to so lve this puzzle but I still have the feeling that something/somewhere tha t has still to be identified. As I updated to .Net 4.0 with the link you  sent me is it actually still possible for a release to set the switch bac k to V1.x or will WHS be releasing an update to stop this happening?  

As Olaf Engelke is 5 hours ahead of me will he be posting anything for  my opening to further clarify/resolve the problem. It would be good to ge t his further insight into this before I attempt tomorrow morning. 

Thanks

Hello antfortas,

Like Kariya, I'm not entirely sure.  There could be a number of reasons why you two were the only ones reporting this.  It could be that it's tied into the fact that you don't have remote access enabled.  Or, it could be that the rest of the people experiencing it called their tech supports and were told to do a factory reset (and they did).  Occasionally bad things happen.  I had an installation of Vista that ran  fine (or so I thought) for a while.  Then, at some point, applications stopped installing properly.  I was having problems with Internet Explorer (especially the beta).  Then I tried installing the TV Pack for  Windows Media Center.  Through troubleshooting, we found out that my installer had been corrupted for quite a while, and I ended up completely wiping the computer and starting over.

Ironically enough, on an older computer (7 years old), Windows Vista worked perfectly.  My point is, there could be a million reasons why it happened.  And it may never happen again (or it may happen in six months) .

One thing you need to understand though is this.  Windows 7 will not update Windows Home Server.  And since the .NET Framework (or ASP.NET) version that your server is feeding to your Windows 7 computer got switched, it's something that is entirely on the Windows Home Server computer.  You'd be seeing the same issues if you tried accessing it through Windows XP, Windows Vista, or even Linux.  It's an issue on the server-side of the coin, so to speak.

Another way of explaining it is this.  The server controls what your web  browser will see.  And since something in an update on the server messed  things up, it's showing your browser gibberish (which is in the form of the error messages you're getting).  It's also causing the connector to fail because the connector is expecting the server to be using the newer  version of .NET and ASP (which is an abbreviated way of saying what the server provides the browser).  Because it's not getting that, it can't connect.

It's around 1:00 am my time here (on Tuesday June 29) so I'll check back  when I wake up in a few hours to see if you've gotten any results.

Hope everything works out, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:41 AM
  • "Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2460 "

This is exactly, what I meaned and can happen if you install something on your home server, which is not intended to be there. Such things can happen, if you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update directly from the desktop instead of the console. Since we had the offer of .NET Framework 4 and this doesn't get installed on WHS if you update your WHS via console or automatically, this may have been the culprit.

So as mentioned the manual interaction with IIS is the only way to fix such changed configuration without having to reinstall the server. Logon locally or via Remote Desktop as Administrator to your Windows Home Server.

1. Click Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Internet Information/Internet Information Services Manager.
    2. Click the + icons to open the tree components. Right click the various sites (i.e. WHS Site and the sub folders with the gear icon) and select Properties.
    3. On the ASP.NET tab change the version to 2.0.50727 and click Apply.
    4. Repeat this for every WHS related component in IIS.
    5. After completing, reboot the server.

Olaf

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:26 AM
  • No offense, Olaf, but I did NOT install anything manually on my machine and i had the same problem.  I DID manually re-install Net Framework 3.5 SP1 AFTER the problem occurred - in an effort to fix the problem, but the problem happened before I did this.  I never installed NF 4 at all.

I think it is silly to point fingers regarding who/what is at fault, but I tend to think that a prior update somehow failed on my machine and left some files updated on my machine without doing the final step of setting IIS at the proper version - something it would obviously do as the last step.  One might easily ask why a "repair" install of NF 3.5 SP1 would execute to completion and not repair this.  Incidentally, I went through my entire two year update history and found two updates that failed.  In both cases, they subsequently succeeded at a later date.  All updates were done automatically via Windows UPdate.

In short - rogue installs did not cause my problem.  I have almost nothing extraneous added to my machine.  I only have ONE add-in. There are literally an infinite number of possibilities, and updates can fail simply because of what is going on on the machine at the time of the install or for simple transient events such as disk errors.  I do not BLAME anyone for this, but I can tell you categorically that I did not install anything on my machine to cause this because I simply did not install anything on it at all except for a very common add-in.  Until this occurred, I only used Remote Desktop a couple of times out of curiosity and I never changed anything while using it.  I resorted to Remote Desktop only to find the problem - since the connector was broken and I had no other way to even see the server.

I accept that update processes cannot be 100% bullet proof and I do not expect them to be, but I could easily point to indicators that that the update process could be more robust (why does an update fail and then succeed two hours later - all overnight with nobody around and no manual intervention).  Like I said, I accept that the update process cannot be made perfect and I am happy that I was able to fix it without losing my server.  On the other hand, I don't accept that the fault was somehow mine.  I did nothing to cause this.  I used automatic updates, avoided excess addins and stayed away from Remote Desktop until I had no other choice.  In short - I did not point fingers at Microsoft.  I do not expect fingers to be pointed at me.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Hi

Settings updated to 2.0.50727 and I have successfully accessed the server again using the http://SERVER:55000 route, re-downloaded and re-installed the connector. Backup ran successfully on two computers with connector installed.

I re-ran all the previous access tests

1) Remote Desktop/run as administrator = success + no security certificate warning

2) Remote desktop = success + no security certificate warning

3) http://SERVER:55000 = success & connector re-downloaded

4) http://SERVER:56000 = produces same screen as 55000 so assumed to be working correctly

5) http://SERVER in IE8 Browser = takes me to Acer easystore home server page/select server button/Server Error in '/Home' Application 

6) http://192.168.0.194 in IE8 Browser = Same result as 5) = Server Error in '/Home' Application

Tests 5 & 6 Server Error do not stop me accessing the server. This page (Acer page - not the server error) used to appear when using the server remote access feature was enabled to then access the server.homeserver.com. As this is currently not set-up I am assuming that is why the error now appears? If there is another reason then perhaps the WHS programmers can investigate further.

Overall this has been a successful recovery and avoided the dreaded factory re-set! Thank you to everyone who offered help and assistance to resolve this recurring problem for me and going forward I hope that whatever needs to de done to stop the re-set to .Net 1.X is duly implemented. Hind-sight is a great thing and looking back at the amount of time this problem has created for me and others it is amazing to me that a very simple set of steps to change the .NET version manually is the solution.   

Regards.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hi antfortas,
    regarding 5 and 6 I would assume you are right (you can test this by shortly enabling Remote Access).

Puterputterer,
    I do not see this as finger pointing or blaming someone, since this is only based on previous experiences and an attempt to explain, what may have happened.

(Having automated updates enabled on OS level instead of the console, seeing the shield on the desktop and shutting down allowing installing updates from here is also a kind of semimanual installation - logging in to the desktop and doing configuration works, even the most basic, here can have such effects.) Since I did not see this on those of my WHS boxes, which I use according to the "rules", I would still think that such a small action circumventing the console can be a (the) reason. Speculation ...

What seems to play into this direction is the default setting in IIS on the high level (if you right click Web Sites, click Properties and ASP.NET, this is set to 1.1.4322 and cannot be changed here. So any installation of related updates may switch back the settings for the subordinate elements to this default - again only an assumption, since IIS is not really my hobby ;-).

Olaf

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Hi

I only read Puterputterer's reply after I posted earlier. 

Just to reconfirm that I had 1) no add-ins installed 2)no manual adjustments to any server settings (I don't know enough so I left entirely untouched) 3) server auto-update fearture enabled and all available updates installed 4) no server remote internet access.

Is there any way to check if a server update is in progress prior to shutting down the server at night? If so then I could check in future just in case a shut down during an update could have been responsible. On the W7 pc you get a warning not to turn off until updates are installed but not sure if/where this would be advised by the server?

Also why the change only to .Net 2.0.50727 rather than .Net 4.0?

Thanks 

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Is there any way to check if a server update is in progress prior to shutting down the server at night? If so then I could check in future just in case a shut down during an update could have been responsible. On the W7 pc you get a warning not to turn off until updates are installed but not sure if/where this would be advised by the server?

Also why the change only to .Net 2.0.50727 rather than .Net 4.0?

well, if a server is being shut down controlled, a pending update installation should be able to complete.
    The WHS applications are designed to interact with .NET Framework 2.0.50727 specific calls, so it would make no sense to associate another .NET Framework version here, where the same calls either are not supported or on a different place or with different outcome. I assume a programmer could tell you the backgrounds better.

Olaf

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:25 AM
  • Hi

What do you mean "shut down controlled"?

Is there anywhere in the remote desktop functions or WHS Admin Console that I can go to to determine if an update is in progress? I normally shut down the server manually using the off/on button on the server. How do you shut down the server using the admin console?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:48 PM
  • A non controlled shutdown would be a crash or the more than 5 seconds pressure on the power button.
    Using the Admin console a shutdown would simply happen, if you click Show Desktop and Start/Shutdown.

Olaf

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

My apologies for being "stupid"

Where do I click "show desktop" on the Admin console?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Hi

Found it.

WHS Console/Settings/Shut Down (located on my version at bottom left under scroll bar at L/H/S of settings window.

I will use in the future to close the server.

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Thank you everyone.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:46 PM