none
Geographically blocked PID

Question

• I ran the Mga diagnostic tool and couldn't  find a way to copy to clipbord for some reason, so here goes a manual copy..........
    Validation status;                 Geographically blocked PID
    Detailed status                          N/A
    Product key:                         *****_*****_7BHGB_TP888_CVC7G
    Product Key Hash                  2wL1IllMebWUxB9ckTiz7gly7Q=
    Windows Product I.D.            55274-640-1825586-23518
    Windows Product I.D. Type        1-    Volume
    WIndows OS Version              5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    I.D.                                         ddd164c7-b2ea-41b7-95aa-a86faa4ea9d6
    Administrator                                              Yes
    Autodial                                                      Yes
    Regristry                                                        0x0
    WGA Version                              Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed by                                           Microsoft

The rest of the info is "N./A"
    I would appreciate it if you could let me know what this means, and what I should do to resolve this issue
    Mike

Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:18 PM

Answers

• Doktrred,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

Phil Liu of MS can look up Volume Licensing Product Keys (PK), and in fact if you search the forum for the part of the PK shown by the utility, 7BHGB-TP888-CVC7G, you'll see that this PK is a very "popular" PK and in one post Phil stated that it really belongs to a very large US financial corporation.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and can never be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another edition of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  We would expect your to be "HP."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

PS:  To paste, run the mgadiag utility again, and click on the Copy button in the lower right hand side when the Windows tab is selected.  To paste into a message, click into the text entry area of a blank message so that your mouse pointer becomes a text cursor (an i-bar), then, move the cursor to the message toolbar (just above the message area) where it will become a pointer again, and then click the "clipboard" icon to paste.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Doktrred,

Start>Help and Support>Pick a Task>Undo Changes to your computer with System Restore, and then in the right pane choose Create a Restore Point.

Or, Start>Run>type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, click OK, and then in the right pane choose Create a Restore Point.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:27 PM

All replies

• Doktrred,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

Phil Liu of MS can look up Volume Licensing Product Keys (PK), and in fact if you search the forum for the part of the PK shown by the utility, 7BHGB-TP888-CVC7G, you'll see that this PK is a very "popular" PK and in one post Phil stated that it really belongs to a very large US financial corporation.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and can never be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another edition of Windows?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  We would expect your to be "HP."

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

PS:  To paste, run the mgadiag utility again, and click on the Copy button in the lower right hand side when the Windows tab is selected.  To paste into a message, click into the text entry area of a blank message so that your mouse pointer becomes a text cursor (an i-bar), then, move the cursor to the message toolbar (just above the message area) where it will become a pointer again, and then click the "clipboard" icon to paste.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Dan,
    The COA on the back of the laptop is blue in color.  It reads :
    "Windows® XP Professional 1-2CPU
    IBM Corporation

The laptop is a used  IBM Thinkpad T-30 that I bought on ebay from an individual.  It had this copy of windows already on the machine.

I guess I have to buy the kit I have read about on other posts?
    I never even thought about the copy of windows not being original.  If I were to buy another computer in the future, is there a way to determine if it's copy of windows is "valid" BEFORE  I buy it?

Mike

Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Doktrred,

The fact that you have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity for Windows XP Professional affixed to the bottom of the IBM lapop indicates that there is a strong liklihood that your laptop is still licensed to run XP Pro.

Please click on this link to download the Product Key Updater Utility which is designed to "genuine-ize" nongenuine installation of XP using the genuine Product Key that is displayed on the genuine COA on the laptop:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

If the nongenuine installation of XP is not too "hacked and cracked" the utility should be able to genuine-ize it.  If you have antivirus, antispyware, or firewall programs installed, please make sure that these programs are set to allow the Updater to have full access to the internet so it can do its thing.

Please post back to tell us if it worked for you.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 7:33 PM

• Dan,
    Sorry for such a basic question, but how do I create a "restore point" prior to running the product key updater tool?
    Mike
    Monday, April 23, 2007 1:44 PM
  • Doktrred,

Start>Help and Support>Pick a Task>Undo Changes to your computer with System Restore, and then in the right pane choose Create a Restore Point.

Or, Start>Run>type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, click OK, and then in the right pane choose Create a Restore Point.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:27 PM
  • Dan,
    I ran the  product key update tool and everything went smoothly, I got several boxes that indicated that I was successful in updating the key.  Do I need to activate windows now?  The instructions here indicate that I do.....http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx. BUT...........................
    I went to system tools (off the start menu), but I don't see an option to click "activate windows" as the instructions suggest.

Friday, April 27, 2007 12:04 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Doktrred,

Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:03 PM
  • anonymous ruben
    Thanks for the help with the pasting.
    But I still need to know if it is necessary to activate windows now that the product key update utility has run and apparently run successfully.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Doktrred,

Have you been able to use the Windows update site after changing your key? If so then success! If not please look @ the below information for activating by telephone. This should help you get the new key activated by contacting MS customer service.

If you do not have Internet connectivity, or you choose not to activate Windows XP by using the Internet, you can select the “Activate by using the telephone” option. Please follow these steps to speak with a Microsoft customer service representative to active Windows:
    1. Click "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Accessories", point to "System Tools", and then click "Activate Windows".
     Additional Options:
     -  Click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray) located @ the lower far right hand corner.
     -  Clicking "Start" button, then "Run", and type in oobe/msoobe /a, then press the "Enter" key located on your keyboard.
    2. Click "Yes", I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  
    3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click "Next".
    4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click "OK". The following message will appear, "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows".
     Also reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851.  Please re-post here should you need further assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:48 PM
  • I've been having the same problem. I had to reinstall Window's once before and ever since then my computer has only been able to update to SP1 I guess you will call it. It said it is a non-genuine Windows Key. I have tried to update it and everything. Am I just screwed and need to buy a new windows or what?

Here is my mgadiag: 

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVvFciZMdQfJLyDpZteolhaqicQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0000356-23392
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    ID: 9fb38796-ea9f-4500-a696-7e4fbebfaeb4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>9fb38796-ea9f-4500-a696-7e4fbebfaeb4</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2B7Q8</PKey><PID>55274-640-0000356-23392</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-602162358-884357618-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP Pavilion 061</Manufacturer><Model>PJ562AA-ABA a705w</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS/><HWID>9FBC384F01842042</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Can you tell me anything?

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:39 AM
  • Useru,

Right now, your HP computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK reported by the mgadiag utility, YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8, you will see that over three dozen other posters have submitted reports with that same blocked VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

Luckily, the solution to your XP problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by HP to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of XP which was on your computer when you purchased it new.  The edition of XP that came on the computer will be printed on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer's case/chassis.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by HP, you can order Recovery CDs for many HP models directly from HP.  If Recovery CDs are not available from HP, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Okay, just to make for sure. I have had my HP a705w for around 7 years and have had to reinstall windows and reformat the drive. I bought a recovery cd for HP models today. It should still work, right? The cd I bought said it was a HP Pavilion Systems Prom Recovery CD and it worked for all models of HP. Will it work?
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:05 AM
  •  Useru wrote:
    Okay, just to make for sure. I have had my HP a705w for around 7 years and have had to reinstall windows and reformat the drive. I bought a recovery cd for HP models today. It should still work, right? The cd I bought said it was a HP Pavilion Systems Prom Recovery CD and it worked for all models of HP. Will it work?

Did you buy it from HP?  If you purchased it from HP and the HP web site or customer service person with whom you spoke said that the Recovery CD would work with your model of HP, then I think the odds are in your favor.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:28 PM
  • I bought it from Ebay. The guy had 99.7% positive feedback and was a powerseller. The ones from HP are $50. I don't have that to spare yet, so I went with something cheaper hoping it will work.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Useru,

HP computers can come with XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center, or XP Tablet Edition.

How is one CD going to work as a Recovery CD for all four of those at once?

You probably bought a home-brew bootable CD for $9.99 or $12.95 or $14.99 packed with somewhat useful generic utilities otherwise downloadable for free on the internet.  It's highly unlikely, especially in light of the claim that it works on all HP computers, that you purchased a real HP Recovery CD that will reinstall Windows XP Home and the associated HP programs that came with your HP from the factory.  Please post a link.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:18 PM
  • Useru,

In the white colored type toward the bottom of the ad write-up, did you read this line:

"This CD does not contain Windows.  In order to re install your operating system, you will need a valid Windows CD."

Unless you need a CD full of somewhat useful but nevertheless freely downloadable generic utilities, my personal advice would be to cancel your purchase if possible.

If the specific Recovery CD set is not available from HP or other sources, you can use a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD fro XP Home combined with the genuine XP Home Product Key on the HP CoA to install XP HOme, and then activate using Telephonic Activation.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Okay, I was looking on Ebay for a new Windows XP Pro and I found one that had no COA that came with it and it said you had to have your own COA. Could that work with a different COA(Say like one off of my mother's computer) and work properly?

Here is the link to read if you do not understand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-XP-Pro-SP2-FULL-Version-sealed-NO-COA_W0QQitemZ190111464724QQihZ009QQcategoryZ41888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:24 AM
  • Useru,

That particular item will not work with your CoA on your HP, because the Product Key on you HP's CoA is for XP Home, not XP Pro.

I can't say anything about whether it would work with your Mom's computer because you have not posted any details about you Mom's computer.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:40 AM
  • So, if I found Windows XP Home Edition and used my CoA on my computer it will work?

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-XP-Home-CD-Unopened-NO-COA-Replacement-Disc_W0QQitemZ200108165969QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41887QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and my mom's computer is fine. I was using her CoA as an example.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:54 AM
  • Useru,

Assuming what you receive is what they say they will send you, then it will work.  The product shown looks to be a genuine XP Home systembuilder/OEM CDROM.  The product key on youHP's XP Home will be accepted by this CD's setup program and setup will complete.  You will then have to activate using the Telephonc Activation option in the Activation Wizard.  The final result will be a 100% genuine installation of XP Home.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Alright. Thank you Dan. You helped a lot.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Useru,

You're welcome and Good Luck!

Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:48 PM
  •  

there are number of ways of pulling up the "SYSTEM RESTORE"

1) start ->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore

2) start ->run-> c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

3) start ->run ->msconfig-> click on the launch system restore tab.

4) Help and Support

Hope this helps 

Sunday, May 20, 2007 2:30 AM
  •  

hello doktrred

Yeah you will have to activate the copy as you have used a new PK on the computer after runing the Key update tool

if you want to check if its a genuine copy or not

click on start -> my computer -> go to HELP tab at the top and click on "is this copy legal" it will take you to www.microsoft.com/genuine and will let you know if its a genuine copy or not .... or we can run the WGA tool to check it ,,,

Sunday, May 20, 2007 2:36 AM