none
HP Mediasmart Server E475 install issues

Question

•  

Hoping someone can help as I am at my wits end.

I got a E475 about a month ago and have yet to get it set up.  I started the install on an XP Pro and had install errors while installing the Windows Server Connector software.  First it wanted my password before it was ever set up.  Then after a Factory Reset on the server my XP could not find the server or would come back with the error "This Computer Cannot connect to your home server".  This was on a Linksys WRT350N router.  I then tried it on a new HP computer running Vista Home Premium.  Same errors.  I then got a new router D-Link DIR-655 which is an approved Media Smart Server router.  With the Vista machine I still got errors.  I returned the Server for a new one after the Factory Reset would not complete. (sounded like the disk drive had some problems).   The new computer with a new router and a new server still will not connect.

Long story short, What am I missing?  From reading other peoples posts it seems like the install is a piece of cake.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:06 AM

Answers

• It sounds to me like your various computers are on different subnets. I have to agree with HP, this isn't a Windows Home Server problem, it's a network configuration issue which existed (in some fashion) before you got your server. You just didn't notice until you purchased the EX475.

What you need to verify is that all of your computers have the same network configuration. A subnet is defined by ip address (something like 192.168.1.xxx, usually), subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0 for a home network), gateway (this is the internal IP address of your router, probably 192.168.1.1) and DNS server addresses (these are supplied by your ISP). You can see most of this information by simply typing "ipconfig" at a command prompt and pressing Enter.

The specifics of how to configure your router properly will be in your router's manual. My suggestion would be to configure your router to supply DHCP addresses, and set all your computers to use DHCP. If your router supports it, give your server a "static DHCP" assignment (sometimes referred to as a DHCP reservation) in the same range. If your router doesn't support that, give your server a static IP address outside the range of addresses your router will hand out (so if your router is configured to give out DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150, you might give the server an address of 192.168.1.30) but make sure that all other values are the same. Make sure that there are no devices on your network other than your router that are supplying DHCP services, and you should be okay.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 11:58 AM

All replies

• Jamie,

A few basics to check first:

Have you read/gone through the Getting Started Guide. It gives a reasonable introduction.

Are the server and your home network on the same subnet. That is, both on the same IP and same Subnet Mask/Gateway.

The DIR-655 is a good router, but a couple of times it's been mentioned that it might not set up the port forwarding correctly.  To check, log into the router and then go to the 'Advanced' Tab on the top and select 'Port Forwarding' on the LH menu. Also, it's a good idea to either give the WHS a static IP address, (outside the range of your dynamic ones,) or, as the '655 has reserved addressing, use that as it retains all the other facilities that way.

When you install the Connector software, try using explorer and going to the Shared Folders Software Windows Home Server and run the Connector software from there.

If you get nowhere, come back, I'm sure there will be help!

HTH,

Colin

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:17 AM
  • thanks for the info Colin.

I got hold of HP tech support and they had me change my PC IP to a static IP which was outside the range of my routers DCHP ip addresses.  This enabled me to connect to the Mediasmart Server. I then realized I could not logon to the internet with my PC!  HP Support told me I would have to talk D-Link because that was their problem not the server.  They figured I could just keep changing the IP from dynamic to static depending on what I wanted to use.  I was able to connect to the net with the PC if I put a static IP with the DNS for my high speed cable.  But I still do not have email.  Not sure where to go from here.  Anyone else having this kind of trouble with the Mediasmart Server?

Jamie

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:27 AM
  • It sounds to me like your various computers are on different subnets. I have to agree with HP, this isn't a Windows Home Server problem, it's a network configuration issue which existed (in some fashion) before you got your server. You just didn't notice until you purchased the EX475.

What you need to verify is that all of your computers have the same network configuration. A subnet is defined by ip address (something like 192.168.1.xxx, usually), subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0 for a home network), gateway (this is the internal IP address of your router, probably 192.168.1.1) and DNS server addresses (these are supplied by your ISP). You can see most of this information by simply typing "ipconfig" at a command prompt and pressing Enter.

The specifics of how to configure your router properly will be in your router's manual. My suggestion would be to configure your router to supply DHCP addresses, and set all your computers to use DHCP. If your router supports it, give your server a "static DHCP" assignment (sometimes referred to as a DHCP reservation) in the same range. If your router doesn't support that, give your server a static IP address outside the range of addresses your router will hand out (so if your router is configured to give out DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150, you might give the server an address of 192.168.1.30) but make sure that all other values are the same. Make sure that there are no devices on your network other than your router that are supplying DHCP services, and you should be okay.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 11:58 AM
  •  I have the same problem using SonicWALL Firewall. Some workstations ans MediaSmart Server are on the LAN ZONE (192.168.1.0) while some workstations are on WLAN zone (192.168.80.0). From PCs on WLAN I can ping MediaServer and see any PCs in workgroup (both on LAN and WLAN). I can also access shared folders on any PC whatever the network they're on. So why can't I access shared folders on MediaSmart server?

So, saying that problem comes from networking problem instead of MediaSmart Server may not be so true after all.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Originally the statement was, that Windows Home Server requires all clients to be on the same subnet.

For a workaround please check this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/295498e9-de53-46c8-9d38-7f110bdb2aeb/
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 20, 2008 6:27 AM