none
Hyper-v - Processor settings

General discussion

• Hi All,

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed and enabled Virtualization (Hyper-V) function.

The Hyper-V was installed with one physical processor and on hyper-v settings 4 logical processors;

So after any time I added a new processor, but on hyper-v settings show only 4 logical processors.

I need understand how to configure hyper-v to show 8 logical processors.

Regards.

Armindo Gabriel.

Thanks. SGA Tecnologia Inteligente
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:09 PM

All replies

• same problem for me also

Thomas

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hi All,

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed and enabled Virtualization (Hyper-V) function.

The Hyper-V was installed with one physical processor and on hyper-v settings 4 logical processors;

So after any time I added a new processor, but on hyper-v settings show only 4 logical processors.

I need understand how to configure hyper-v to show 8 logical processors.

Regards.

Armindo Gabriel.

Thanks. SGA Tecnologia Inteligente

How I understand it, that is by design and not a problem.  You will not be able to show 8 processors.  I have a HyperV box that has 2 proc dies, 6 cores each and HT, effectively giving me 24 processors. I can only allocate up to 4 virtual processors each VM. To complicate things, I am currently researching an issue where it really doesn't matter how many processors you assign, it is all based on the weights.

For example, going from 1 assigned virtual processor to 2 will not 'double' your speed but may in fact half your speed for each processor but still give you the same relative CPU cycle counts.  If your VM isn't running something that takes full advantage of multi-threaded processing, having more than one CPU assigned is actually going to be a waste, except in specific configurations.  I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of my example, but that seems to be the idea here.

I have a VM appliance that is configured with 4 procs and 8GB RAM.  The appliance NEVER runs more than 20% CPU usage (shown in Hyper-V manager) which translates into only about 3% of the native CPU power being used.  However, this is a resource intensive appliance that should be running at 75% CPU or more during the intense cycles(about 12% native CPU time), but never does.  My guess is that the appliance is not mulit-thread capable and only using 1 of the 4 procs.  To test, I will be allocating 2 processors in the near future.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:10 PM