none
Remote Access Times Out

Question

• I am trying to connect from one Media Center 2005 machine to another Media Center 2005 machine using Remote Access.  Both client PC workstations are connected to WHS and operating as expected.  When I try to use one of these workstations to connect to the other via Remote Access to test that feature, access is extremely slow and at one point in the connection process (see details below) it times out with "The remote connection to the computer timed out. Please connect again."

I know there are many other threads discussing this same problem.  I have read them and have done the following:

1. The active X dowload is completed and operational on both MCE machines.
    2. Router and Domain Name Status shows as "Working" in the Windows Home Server Settings, Remote Access Tab.
    3. In the Remote Access Computer Tab, both MCE machines are show as "Available for Connection".
    4. I have forwarded ports 443 and 4125 as well as port 80, but I am not abosutely sure I have done this correctly.  They appear to be set up to me in my Netgear router.

Since I am in the house and able to see both screens of the computers I am going from and to , I see that the logon prompt occurs on the MCE machine that I am going to because the screen refreshes with the standard windows login screen showing the user I am trying to log in as (in this case the user is George).  I see that I get the Remote Access login screen on the MCE machine I am going from, but when the login screen appears on the going to machine about 10 seconds after that I get the time out message as indicated above on the going from machine.

The WHS server has a Dual Core X2 Athlon 3800+ CPU with 1GB of memory.  Both MCE machines used in the Remote Access are identical computers with a Dual Core X2 5000+ processor and 2GB of memory.

Is there any way I can improve the speed when accessing via Remote Access?  Why is the timeout occuring? 

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi George. Can't shed light on your first post yet, as I have yet to test this properly under RC1 to see if it's working for me (it wasn't before) but this will bump it back up!

However, the fact that the login panel appears on the second machine certainly implies that your ports are correctly configured.

Static address is not necessary for the purposes of Remote Access, as they are connecting by name resolution.

Previous discussion was mainly about setting WHS to a fixed address because many of us with server experience prefer them that way, and there were issues with the connector on earlier builds that seemed to be caused by the server address changing after it was rebooted. Hopefully all that is sorted now.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:40 AM
  • When you use Remote Desktop to your Home Server, you have to login with a user name of Administrator and the password you chose when you setup the Home Server.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Hi George, apologies for the delay replying. Apologies also, yes I meant http://haylesserver - then you get the login screen as if you were coming in remotely. Login as a user there and then you should see the console and the computers tab. What I'd like to determine here is how the performance is when you connect from there to the other machine.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:39 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:
    Hi George, apologies for the delay replying. Apologies also, yes I meant http://haylesserver - then you get the login screen as if you were coming in remotely. Login as a user there and then you should see the console and the computers tab. What I'd like to determine here is how the performance is when you connect from there to the other machine.

Success!!!. Thank you very much Crash.  I am leaving the house for the rest of the day, so I do not have time to test this more.  I am still not sure what you had me do until I have had more time to think about it, but YES, it works great using this method!!!  What a great feeling to solve this problem after working on it for so many days.  Thank you!  Thank you!

I will be back late tonight to check this out some more.  I have marked your answer as the Correct Answer. 

My best regards,

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:08 PM

All replies

• I recall something about a static IP address.  Does that apply in Remote Access?  If so, which of the three computers (the WHS server, the MCE maching I am "going from" and teh MCE Machine I am "going to") require a static IP address?  Thanks.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Hi George. Can't shed light on your first post yet, as I have yet to test this properly under RC1 to see if it's working for me (it wasn't before) but this will bump it back up!

However, the fact that the login panel appears on the second machine certainly implies that your ports are correctly configured.

Static address is not necessary for the purposes of Remote Access, as they are connecting by name resolution.

Previous discussion was mainly about setting WHS to a fixed address because many of us with server experience prefer them that way, and there were issues with the connector on earlier builds that seemed to be caused by the server address changing after it was rebooted. Hopefully all that is sorted now.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Thanks, Crash, for the answer to the second part.  I want to mark your answer as "Answered", but still want to keep the question open in the first post.  When it is answered as well, I will mark your answer about the Static IP address.  That answered my quesiton on that.  Many thanks to you.

Best regards,

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:07 AM
  • Oh, I forgot to add this info:

Since my first post, I have successfully logged into the second MCE machine.  It starts to "paint" the screen of the "remote" second computer on the monitor, but it is excruciatingly slow and times out every time.  I have no idea how to fix the problem.  I  might add that I have a cable internet connection (Time Warner's Road Runner, or Brighthouse or whatever they are calling themselves these days) and the speed of the connection is very satisfactory to me for other internet access.  I have 100 gigabit ethernet NICs (NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller) installed in both MCE Machines.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Hi SeaRay:

Thank you so much for reporting this. some quick questions:

1) are you doing this in your home subnet using domain name "***.livenode.com"? some router have some difficulties when looping back. Try to use server name directly instead.

2) Is there any domain existing in your home? some domain policy may impact on this.

3) TS to the server console, try to use "mstsc" to logon the "To" machine, could you successfully get it?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:01 AM
  • Thank you for responding, fezhou. 

1. I enter hayles.livenode.com in the browswer address bar. The browser automatically reverts to something like https://hayles.livenode.com/remote/logon.  Then I login. I have tried using \\haylesserver\remote.  I get a logon screen but cannot get in. It just keeps asking for the Password over and over again for \\hayleserver\George.  I know I am keying the correct password.
    2. I have a workgroup called sonymaster. I am not sure if this is what you are asking.  I will provide other information for you if this is not what you need.
    3. I am sorry but I do not know how to TS to the server console and I do not know what "mstsc" is.  I guess I am the target market you are shooting for with WHS...  I know enought to get myself into trouble but not enought to get out

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:00 AM
  • 3 TS = Terminal Server, AKA Remote Desktop Connection (Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications)

2 you can ignore as you're using a workgroup

1 When you connect to http://hayles.livenode.com you are redirected to https://hayles.livenode.com for secure login, so that part's OK.

When you're trying this via your local network, eg \\haylesserver, are you able to login and see the console? Just trying to clarify at which point George fits in.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:51 PM
  • @Crash- If I put \\haylesserver in the address bar of the browser it shows me the share folders on the WHS.  I am not exactly sure what you need to know so if you will let me know I will try to give more detials.

Thanks for letting me know I don't need to provide more info to the Windows Home Server Team on domains.  I have very little knowledge in that area anyway so might give misinformation by mistake.

Now I see what TS is. Thanks.

Unfortantly, I have to leave the house for two meetings.  One at 1pm (5pm UTC) and then another at 5pm (9pm UTC).  I may be back home for an hour or so between meetings.  I also have a meeting at 10:00am until 5pm (2pm to 9pm UTC) tomorrow (Wednesday in the U.S.) so I am afraid I might not be able to get back with answers/debugging the problem during this time.  In case anybody is able to help more, please understand that.  I hope to have lots of time after 10pm UTC tomorrow to work on the problem as it is a high priority to me to get Remote Access issues resolved.

Thank you all for any help provided.

Best regards,

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:25 PM
  •  @fezhou and @Crash 

After Crash explained how to get to TS and fezhou asked if I could use it, I just tried it.  When I put haylesserver in to the prompt for server I am going to, it shows the login screen very quickly.  I cannot get in using my user ID and known password. It appears I am not permitted, but I do not remember the exact message.  I am very short on time to get ready for my meeting coming up in an hour.  I will try to provide more info on this when I get back if possible before the second meeting.  It look like the TS approach is promising as it is lightning fast!

Best regards,

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:33 PM
  • When you use Remote Desktop to your Home Server, you have to login with a user name of Administrator and the password you chose when you setup the Home Server.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Tom, Crash and fezhou,

Thanks to all of you I can now get to the desktop on the server using Administrator and the password I set.  That is great. Now I can take the monitor and keyboard off my server.  Someone mentioned that to me in another post but I had not tried it yet. As you can see I am definitely a client side guy and not a server guy

Again I would like to mark the thread Answered by all three of you, but I still have this issue of geting to the client pc across the Internet.  Althought Remote Desktop Connection does help with server access from the net, it does not help me with Remote Access to my client PCs (the MCE macnines mentioned in the original post) does it?

Finally, I want to mention again, that I will be gone for the rest of today until late tonight and most of tomorrow.  If you get back to me on anything to try, I will attempt it as soon as possible.  Again, I appreciate the help already given and welcome any other help any of you can provide.  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:57 PM
  • Good to hear you're making progress, George. "Slowly, slowly, catches monkey" is the phrase, as I recall.

If you haven't done so, before you remove your monitor and keyboard, can you please try and remote desktop from the server to one or both of your PCs. What we're doing here is making sure that things work internally, so that will give us a better idea when we look at the picture from outside. You'll need to use the username and password associated with that machine.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:10 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

If you haven't done so, before you remove your monitor and keyboard, can you please try and remote desktop from the server to one or both of your PCs. What we're doing here is making sure that things work internally, so that will give us a better idea when we look at the picture from outside. You'll need to use the username and password associated with that machine.

Remote Desktop access to both MCE 2005 machines from the server works.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Great. So everything seems to work within your network, next stage is to see what's happening with the remote access. As I do have a problem with this myself, I may not be able to help you fix it but let's see how we go.

If you go to \\haylesserver and login to your server with your username and password (not Admin) and go the Computers tab, are you able to RD to the other computer that way?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:16 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

If you go to \\haylesserver and login to your server with your username and password (not Admin) and go the Computers tab, are you able to RD to the other computer that way?

Crash,

I don't understand.  You say "go to \\haylesserver". Do you want me to physically go to the server and login or do you want me to go to one of the client machines and type \\hayleserver into the browser address bar?  If I put \\haylesserver into the browser address bar it just shows me the share file folders.  If I go to the physical server and login I can only get in by using the Administrator ID and the pw I set for the server.  Neither option allows me to click on the computer tab because I do not get to that page unless I go in via Remote Access.  Then I can click on the computer tab but it is very, very slow.

Sorry I do not understand.

George

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Sorry for jumping in mid stream but perhaps I can help trouble shoot part of it.

My WHS is up and running fine and I can log in and everything both from Intranet and Internet using IE only, under any other browser there is no “computers” tab even when spawning the IE tab from Firefox for example, so that might explain the missing tab.

Aside from that when at work if I connect to my WHS, login with a user name, go to the “Computers” tab and select “Connect to your Home Server” the password box displays and after entering the password it immediately starts to connect and just as fast reports the same “timeout” error and dumps me back to the “computers” tab.

The thing is if I connect outside of the office firewall and anti-virus, this timeout does not occur and the connection to my Home Serve works.

Sorry if this doesn’t help, it was just that I thought it sounded similar enough to be worth mentioning.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:57 PM
  •  Kwobbe wrote:

Sorry for jumping in mid stream but perhaps I can help trouble shoot part of it.

My WHS is up and running fine and I can log in and everything both from Intranet and Internet using IE only, under any other browser there is no “computers” tab even when spawning the IE tab from Firefox for example, so that might explain the missing tab.

Thanks for "jumping in" Kwobbe.  Your comments are welcome and I appreciate your help.  Unfortantly, using IE, I still get the same slowness problem.  I am not sure how you misunderstood (probably something I said without clarity) but I have never had trouble seeing the computer tab, via remote access.  The problem is when I get to it via Remote Access and click on it, I start loading the Computer Page somewhat quickly, but then when I try to select a client computer in my WHS network, I get the timeout error message after the page starts to load very, very slowly.

Kwobbe wrote:

The thing is if I connect outside of the office firewall and anti-virus, this timeout does not occur and the connection to my Home Serve works.

In my case, I an trying to access one home pc from another home pc (both have MCE 2005 so Remote Desktop is present on both home pc's), so an office firewall could not be the problem. I know it does not make sense, in general, to access one client with another... I am only doing this to test Remote Access.  fezhou (on the WHS Team) mentioned in an earler post this might "creat a loop" and that may very well be the source of my problem, but he has not gotten back on this thread to help debug this after I responded to his post.  Maybe he or someone else knows this is an issue and can help with this.  Of course, as and alternative, I could go down to the local library with my laptop (they have wi-fi there) and test from the libaray.  I may try that today. 

Thanks for trying to help, Kwobbe.  If you have any other ideas they will be welcome.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:40 AM
  • As I described earlier, I am having a problem with very, very slow access via Remote Access and a timeout error message when I try to test my Remote Access functionality to run programs on one of my client machines.  I am using a browser to simulate coming into my home network as thought I am "away from the house" and wanting to run programs on one of my client machines.  I am uisng one of my other client machines to test this simulation and trying to Remote Access into the second client machine on my home server network.  The machine I am going from and the machine I am trying to Remote Access to are both MCE 2005 machines, so both have the software necessary for Remote Access.  fezhou, a member of the WHS Team, has suggested in a earlier thread that this may cause a loop and may be part of my problem. 

My quesiton:  Is anyone else doing this simulation successfully?  If it is a problem for everyone who has tried it, I will just have to go to the local library and connect via Remote Access from there.  That is, of course, a real test of what I am trying to simulate from home.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:56 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem remoting in from work. I can get to the web page no problem, and see my 2 computers but they say "connection disabled"

I know RDT is enabled so I assume it has do do with the firewall in Windows Live One Care. The other problem is, when I try to connect to the server I get the usual connect to clipboard message, and when I say OK to that, I get a timeout message within seconds

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:00 PM
  • It was the SonicWall on my company network that was causing the quick timeout. When I moved to a perimeter network I could get to my server interface but still not to my client computers
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Hi George, apologies for the delay replying. Apologies also, yes I meant http://haylesserver - then you get the login screen as if you were coming in remotely. Login as a user there and then you should see the console and the computers tab. What I'd like to determine here is how the performance is when you connect from there to the other machine.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Thanks Kwobbe and worth the reminder that, because an ActiveX control is used, only IE (or FFox with the IE addin, reportedly) can see the Computers tab. (Neither does my Pocket PC, as that could be very useful when out and about sometimes....!)
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  fsoz wrote:
    It was the SonicWall on my company network that was causing the quick timeout. When I moved to a perimeter network I could get to my server interface but still not to my client computers

Foz,

Maybe it is time for me to help a bit if I can.  I can't tell from your post, but do you know for sure you client computers have the ability for Remote Access.  The two clients I am talking about (see the screen shot here) are the two top PC's in the list, both running MCE 2005.  My other PC's shown, the last three in the screen shot, are XP Home machines and do not have Remote Access.  When I connect to the Computer Tab via Remote Access I get this screen.  Note that the two MCE 2005 machines show "Available for Connection" and the other three machines are "Not Supported".  Just wanted to mention this in case that might be your issue and for others reading this thread in case it might help them.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:
    Hi George, apologies for the delay replying. Apologies also, yes I meant http://haylesserver - then you get the login screen as if you were coming in remotely. Login as a user there and then you should see the console and the computers tab. What I'd like to determine here is how the performance is when you connect from there to the other machine.

Success!!!. Thank you very much Crash.  I am leaving the house for the rest of the day, so I do not have time to test this more.  I am still not sure what you had me do until I have had more time to think about it, but YES, it works great using this method!!!  What a great feeling to solve this problem after working on it for so many days.  Thank you!  Thank you!

I will be back late tonight to check this out some more.  I have marked your answer as the Correct Answer. 

My best regards,

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:08 PM
  • Thanks George, good to know that works OK. So between the machines on your network, it's fine.

Is there any way you can try to connect from outside the home, maybe from a friend's house using their PC for a short while?

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:06 AM
  • My first is an XP Pro, and my 2nd is a Vista Ultimate both have RDT turned on.  I can remote internally using ip addresses but not by name so now it seems to be a DNS issue. Mine don't say unsupported, they say connection disabled.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:05 AM
  •  fsoz wrote:
    My first is an XP Pro, and my 2nd is a Vista Ultimate both have RDT turned on.  I can remote internally using ip addresses but not by name so now it seems to be a DNS issue. Mine don't say unsupported, they say connection disabled.

Ok fsoz, I was hoping it might be something as simple as that.  I should know better; life is never that simple .  I can only suggest a June 21st article from Philip Churchill's Blog.  You may have already seen it but in case you haven't, it may offer some help.  Sorry I could  not be of more help. Check the guide out here.

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:12 AM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

Is there any way you can try to connect from outside the home, maybe from a friend's house using their PC for a short while?

You want me to go to another computer outside my house and type "http://haylesserver" (without the quotes) into the browser address bar, right?

I'll go either to a neighbor's house or to my local library today and report back to this thread.  I should be able to post back by 9PM UTC.  Again. Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:17 AM
  • Hi George - no, that's an internal address and only valid within your network; from elsewhere you'll have to use the longer http://yourdomain.livenode.com - which identifies where your server is in global scheme of things.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 12:44 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:
    Hi George - no, that's an internal address and only valid within your network; from elsewhere you'll have to use the longer http://yourdomain.livenode.com - which identifies where your server is in global scheme of things.

Okay.  Looks like it will be the library since my neighbors that I would go to are not home.  We have to go the library anyway today so I will type in the livenode address into the browser bar (Internet Explorer I expect) and see what happens.  I'll report back the results to this thread.

Friday, June 22, 2007 3:42 PM
  • I was having similar problem with xpPro indicating not enabled.  Do you have a password protected login on the 'remote' client and did you password protect when setting up remote desktop one the 'remote' machine?  once I did those two things, it immediately allowed me access to the other machine.

PS.   I cannot access livenode at all from within my network but once I am on another network, it works fine (though remote desktop is slow, which I think is normal)
    Friday, June 22, 2007 6:33 PM
  •  SeaRay33 wrote:

Crash2975 wrote:
    Hi George - no, that's an internal address and only valid within your network; from elsewhere you'll have to use the longer http://yourdomain.livenode.com - which identifies where your server is in global scheme of things.

Okay.  Looks like it will be the library since my neighbors that I would go to are not home.  We have to go the library anyway today so I will type in the livenode address into the browser bar (Internet Explorer I expect) and see what happens.  I'll report back the results to this thread.

Ok. I went to the library and typed http://mydomainname.livenode.com into the browser (Internet Explorer), set the address as a trusted site, downloaded and installed the activeX component that was trying to install and it works great.  Looks like problem solved.  It still will not work if I enter the same address into my browser (either IE or the Maxthon browser I use) on my home network.  Must be the looping thing fezhou was talking about in a earlier post in this thread?  Yea!! Thanks to all you nice folks, especially Crash, I now have Remote Access working!  Thank you all very much.

This problem is solved now, but I wonder if posting so much personal connection information on this thread I have opened my LAN to bad guys on the net looking at my keystrokes, hijacking my server or connected workstations or intoducting viruses of various types?  I *do* have strong passwords on all the machines.  Is that enough or should I now go change the server name or get a new livenode.com address or change passwords all around or all three of these?  Or am I just being paranoid?  I don't know enought about Remote Access to know if I should be worried or not.

Any input any of you have would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:30 PM
  • DrEsquire,

I was not sure if your comments/questions were directed toward fsoz or me (SeaRay33).  I think fsoz so I will not respond specifically, but I do not want to ignore you.  If I don't hear differently, I will assume you were talking to fsoz.

Since I started this thread, I want thank everyone here who has responded and helped me to debug and solve this Remote Access Timeout problem.

Best regards,

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:40 PM
  • I was referring to the problem of a remote desktop indicating that it was not available even with remote desktop enabled, trying to help,  I should have been more specific
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 12:08 AM