none
The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to ... huh?

Question

• Out of the blue this morning when I tried to access a share I have mapped to a drive on one of my Vista Ultimate PC's, I receive the subject error. I rebooted the Vista PC, it did not help. I checked the event logs on the PC and the WHS and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I finally had to reboot the WHS, after which the problem was gone. Any ideas what could have caused that? A bit disconcerting to say the least.
    --
    bc
    Saturday, April 05, 2008 3:27 PM

Answers

• A question for both of you: are you certain that your local user login name matches a user on the Home Server, and that the passwords also match? It is possible for a user's display name to differ from the login name, and the normal interfaces that you would use on your client PC won't let you change the actual login name. You can check for this problem, and correct it if it exists, by following the steps I posted over here.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:01 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem on my Vista PC.  I also have an XP machine that connects to WHS and I never even need to login on that machine.  On the Vista machine I always have to login, even though I "save" my password each time (which also doesn't work/save).  Anyway, I too was able to clear the problem up with a WHS reboot but it keeps happening and now rebooting WHS no longer always works.  Currently, I can not access my home server folders after a reboot.  Anyone have a fix for this? 

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:41 PM
  • A question for both of you: are you certain that your local user login name matches a user on the Home Server, and that the passwords also match? It is possible for a user's display name to differ from the login name, and the normal interfaces that you would use on your client PC won't let you change the actual login name. You can check for this problem, and correct it if it exists, by following the steps I posted over here.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Hi guys, hope you are fine.
    I have the same problem "the referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to", but with WinXP SP2.
    I try to join them to a network domain and i got that error.
    Maybe you can help me.
    Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by rosegoldwood Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:10 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Irving, this is the Windows Home Server forum. Since Windows Home Server doesn't participate in Active Directory, I assume you're not asking about WHS. For problems with Windows XP you might want to ask in the Windows XP newsgroups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 19, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for  the explanation. have a nice day.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Sorry but your solution does not work for Windows 7 x64 Enterprise in Domain mode - I found that there you have to run "netplwiz" instead of "control ..." but when you are in a domain the option specified by you does not work.

PS. I wasn't able to add a comment to the post linked by you.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:41 AM
  • In the case of a domain-joined computer, the easiest way to deal with this is to permanently cache credentials for the server. You can do this through the same interface. Click the Advanced tab, then Manage Passwords, then add an entry for your server, using a local account on your server as the user name, and that account's password. Note that this password can't be automatically synchronized by Windows Home server if you should change it on the server at some point in the future; that only works with local acocunts.

Also, remember that Windows Home Server is not designed for use in a domain environment; the target market segment doesn't run a domain at home. So it can't join a domain other than as domain controller, and making it a domain controller will cause problems with the Windows Home Server security model.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:38 PM
  • I followed Ken Warren's guide, and it led me to my solution. 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/deff41ae-f363-4fd5-a51f-6043b79ac695

Long story short, I clicked on the advanced tab, and then manage credentials.

In Windows Credentials I removed the account referencing \\servername, and presto, everything started working.

This has been driving me crazy for about 2 months, and only happens on my Win 7 box.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:11 AM

Ken,  After reading some of these thread, my Account Lock out errose could be due to the Display and Login ID name of the NEW User that I had just set up.  It did NOT allow me to put in Login ID, just the display name.  I was going to check into this further today, but now I can't get into my computer at all.  ALL Accounts are Locked out.  I had been working fine until I added this account.  PLEASE HELP Me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM another Thread

I'm in NEED of Some HELP.  At a complete WORK STOPPAGE at Work.  ALL of the USER Accounts on my PC are LOCKED OUT. (1 USER Acct and 2 with ADMIN Group Priv)  The Built-in ADMIN Acct is Disabled.  I'm connected to a Govt Network, set up as a workgroup.  No AD

Running Windows Vista Enterprise, Build 6002, SP2 On a Dell E6400 Laptop.  I was running FINE until I went to set up another user acct, using my login with admin priv.  It had been awhile, so I created a TEST User to check out a few things and then deleted without resetting  a password.  The new user I created just had me put in the name so I had no clue what the password was to give him for initial log-in, but I did not reset it before logging out.  The message I'm getting when I try to log-in to ALL Accounts is: "The Referenced Account is currently Locked Out and May Not Be Logged On To"  I have booted in Safe Mode, but I'm not seeing ADMIN Account, which I had previously re-named to something other than Administrator and Disabled, per our Security Policy.  I'm not sure what option you select in Safe Mode to boot from a point in time before the problem was created.  I found these threads when I did a SEARCH for the problem on MS Site.  Not sure what else to do without having to rebuild.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:29 AM

• Ken,  After reading some of these thread, my Account Lock out errose could be due to the Display and Login ID name of the NEW User that I had just set up.  It did NOT allow me to put in Login ID, just the display name.  I was going to check into this further today, but now I can't get into my computer at all.  ALL Accounts are Locked out.  I had been working fine until I added this account.  PLEASE HELP Me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM another Thread

I'm in NEED of Some HELP.  At a complete WORK STOPPAGE at Work.  ALL of the USER Accounts on my PC are LOCKED OUT. (1 USER Acct and 2 with ADMIN Group Priv)  The Built-in ADMIN Acct is Disabled.  I'm connected to a Govt Network, set up as a workgroup.  No AD

Running Windows Vista Enterprise, Build 6002, SP2 On a Dell E6400 Laptop.  I was running FINE until I went to set up another user acct, using my login with admin priv.  It had been awhile, so I created a TEST User to check out a few things and then deleted without resetting  a password.  The new user I created just had me put in the name so I had no clue what the password was to give him for initial log-in, but I did not reset it before logging out.  The message I'm getting when I try to log-in to ALL Accounts is: "The Referenced Account is currently Locked Out and May Not Be Logged On To"  I have booted in Safe Mode, but I'm not seeing ADMIN Account, which I had previously re-named to something other than Administrator and Disabled, per our Security Policy.  I'm not sure what option you select in Safe Mode to boot from a point in time before the problem was created.  I found these threads when I did a SEARCH for the problem on MS Site.  Not sure what else to do without having to rebuild.

This forum is for Windows Home Server.  You should ask your question in the Vista forums.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:35 AM
  • I am getting this prompt with respect to my WHS.

I was minding my own business, when up popped a message to the effect that my Win7 Ultimate PC password was different from my WHS password. I was offered to chance to correct this, and specified that my PC password should be changed to match the WHS. The response came back that the password I was entering for my WHS was incorrect. Now, I know that I am using the correct password, and have done nothing to change it for years.

So, I tried, instead, to specify that the password on my Win7 PC be kept, and the WHS password should be changed. The Win7 setup is only a few days old, and has had my username and password set up using 'netplwiz'. Once again, I know that the password is the same as the one originally set up for my WHS. This is when I received the response "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to", referring to my WHS.

THe WHS is still running, and I am able to access it., but am at a loss as to what to do next.

Regards... Bernard
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:25 AM
  • I am getting this prompt with respect to my WHS.

I was minding my own business, when up popped a message to the effect that my Win7 Ultimate PC password was different from my WHS password. I was offered to chance to correct this, and specified that my PC password should be changed to match the WHS. The response came back that the password I was entering for my WHS was incorrect. Now, I know that I am using the correct password, and have done nothing to change it for years.

So, I tried, instead, to specify that the password on my Win7 PC be kept, and the WHS password should be changed. The Win7 setup is only a few days old, and has had my username and password set up using 'netplwiz'. Once again, I know that the password is the same as the one originally set up for my WHS. This is when I received the response "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to", referring to my WHS.

THe WHS is still running, and I am able to access it., but am at a loss as to what to do next.

Regards... Bernard
    WHS locks out accounts after 50 unsuccessful attempts (and the lockout period lasts for 30 minutes).  It sounds like some device in your LAN is continually trying to connect to your server using a valid username with an invalid password.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:27 PM
  • WHS locks out accounts after 50 unsuccessful attempts (and the lockout period lasts for 30 minutes).  It sounds like some device in your LAN is continually trying to connect to your server using a valid username with an invalid password.

Thanks Kariya...

The problem corrected itself (presumably after 30 minutes), but that does no explain why the password was incorrect in the first place. My PC and WHS passwords have matched for years.

One of life's little mysteries...

Regards... Bernard
    Monday, August 02, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Just had a similar problem. Searched all over and got all sorts of bad / complex answers. Found this one that worked perfectly and was easy. In my case, I could not map drives but could get in via remote desktop. If you can't do that, you can still fix this if you can physically access the server box.

This link gives instructions how to use Local Users settings on the server to unlock the locked account. And yes, in my case it was really locked out. Why one PC user's account got locked, I have no idea. My best guess is that the battery died and it tried to connect with a date from the 1990's. Anyway...

http://www.infinitedesigns.org/archives/253

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Ok, I am using W7 Home Premium and am locked out from the WHS.  I can log in with the Console, but can not access the file shares.  We have three PCs and two are working fine, but the third (my main work desktop and the one I really need to connect regularly) is getting, variously, password/login requests, or the dreaded locked out message.  The system had been up and running fine for several months without any changes.  All was powered down for a week recently and the issue occurred on restart.

I have verified that the user names (logon name on WHS) are in fact the same on the client pc and the WHS user acct. using the dos command prompt and the echo %username% command. 

I have verified that the user passwords are the same on both the client pc and the WHS user acct.  I have reset the user acct password several times on the WHS using the console.

I have deleted and recreated the user account on the WHS using the console.

I have restarted both machines several times. 

Nothing has helped.

Presently I am not locked out, but the system is requesting a login and my password is not working. 

This is just so incredibly frustrating.  I would really appreciate some help! 

Thanks,

Jan

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Ok, problem resolved.  A rarely used account of mine on my wife's pc had required a password change about a month ago, when I used it briefly.  Although I had never accessed the WHS from that pc/account, my user name was the same on that machine and it had apparently tried to log on.  Why this upset only one of the remaining pc's using that username I don't know, but resetting that password appears to have corrected the issue.

So the outcome is that apparently all pc's/accounts with the same username as your whs logon name must use the same password as your whs account password.  

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:58 PM