Remove unwanted Skydrive shared folders added from other users

General discussion

• Hello all.

This is my first post here, I hope this is the right place to ask my questions.
    If it's not, please just tell me where to post to the appropriate thread.

Situation :

Somebody entered my email adress to share some folders to me. I mean he granted me the permission to view files. I did not asked to have the permission to do that. And I did not received some notification in order to accept or refuse the file sharing. The file sharing was a fact that's all.

The problem:

I do not want to have access to his Skydrive private folders online. My email appears in the list of persons that are granted permission to view the files. I dont want that. 

Questions : 

Where is the functionality in order to remove my email from the list of persons who can access the private shared files of the other persons?

Is there a way to remove the icons of Spaces/Skydrive of the persons at the right of my own Skydrive list of folders?

Thank you in advance.

PHC 

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:39 PM

All replies

• I don't think you're in exactly the right place for Skydrive questions - this is the Live Mesh forum. That said, there may be those here familiar with Skydrive, since there's some functionality overlap (of a sort), and you may get an answer. I suspect you'll get a moderator pointing you to the right place to ask, though, and in relatively short order. If you marked your post as "Alert me", you'll get an email when responses are added, so you might not have to keep checking back to see if there are more replies.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:44 PM
  • You can also go through http://support.live.com and find Skydrive and email your question through an online form...
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Hello PHC,

I have been searching for almost a week for information to remove 2 people from my SkyDrive page who I never invited.

I downloaded WLM and all its other components.  When I read SkyDrive had a storage component that can be shared with family and friends, I certainly thought it would be with my permission.  I never would have guessed Microsoft would set up such a program with the Permission default set at ALL.  Thank goodness I had only uploaded a few photos before I realized anyone had access to my personal information.

In fact, at this moment there are 2 persons with their photos on my computer as we speak.

I contacted Microsoft's support and their advice was to close my account!  This would also mean closing my email account.  This is an email account I have had for 3 years; long before I knew of Windows Live.

I have searched for ways to remove these individuals' and their photos from SkyDrive and have learned they cannot be deleted.  I have also searched for SkyDrive in the Windows Live folder but cannot find it.  My last option is to uninstall LiveMail, which I do not wish to do.  However, I feel violated knowing persons were able to put their information on my computer without my permission. I have since changed all the Permissions to Just me or My Network, which has no one listed.

If you have found a solution to this problem, please post it here. 

Thank you for your time,

Camiele
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Camiele, Live Mesh and SkyDrive are two different programs and have nothing to do with each other except that they are serviced by Microsoft.

SkyDrive does not sync files and you can set permissions for files and folders on the SkyDrive page for your account.

If someone is sharing files with you on SkyDrive, you can see them, but they are not on your PC unless you chose to download them. You can delete any files that you downloaded, but since you don't own the files that exist on SkyDrive, they belong to the other users who shared them with you, you can't delete them.

Furthermore, people do not have access to your personal information unless you choose to share items from your profile with them. The permissions for various elements of Windows Live Profile are scattered about, but can be easily found if you start at home.live.com and log in with your LiveID.

Removing Live Mail is foolish as that has nothing to do with photos shared with you via SkyDrive that exist on the server.

Once again, nobody put any files on your computer. I suggest that you review the information for the Windows Live services and programs at http://help.live.com

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking time to clarify the above points.  It is through lack of knowledge that I tend to use the wrong terminologies.

I understand files were not synced nor downloaded into my computer but shared.  However, I am utterly frustrated that they are there at all and I cannot remove them short of removing the programs.

It was a hard lesson learned to discover permissions on SkyDrive are set to All by default.  Perhaps it would have taken a more knowledgeable person less time, but when I discovered this information last week, it took me hours to change the permissions in 2 accounts.  After all this, I would return to find some permission settings had reverted back to its default.

I contacted help.live.com.  First they requested a screen shot of the page with my 2 guests, which I sent.  However, I sent it as an attachment and it was returned undelivered due to its being over the maximum size allowed.(?)

I contacted help.live.com again and was told my only option was to close my accounts!  These accounts are associated with email addresses I established long before I ever heard of Windows Live.

I now have a better understanding of the way SkyDrive works.  When permissions are set to All, it is an invitation for people to share their pictures and files; although I do not understand how or from where I was chosen.

When I queried Google on the removal of SkyDrive, I came across PHC's posting.  I realized it was posted last year, but I was desperate!  I really want those names and photos removed from my computer.

Thanks again for the valuable information.

Continued blessings,

Camiele

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I understand that the permissions issues in Windows Live properties like SkyDrive and the profile can be confusing and complicated. When the Wave 3 update was released to bring new sharing functionality accross the properties, there was quite an outcry about the default settings and the fact that permissions were not controlled from a central location. it was improved, but not enough yet.

However, once again, there are no photos on your computer unless you downloaded them. When you look at SkyDrive, you are looking at a server, not your computer.

You are welcome to contact me off forum at sboots@mvps.org if you wish to share the screenshot of what you are seeing and I'll do my best to try and diagnose and explain what exists. Make sure that you put "Windows Live Help" in the message subject line to prevent the message from being blocked by my spam filtering.

-steve
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

I cannot tell you how relieved I am for the help. 

I returned tp SkyDrive yesterday only to find another's name and photo there.  I have spent three days looking through every folder on my computer for the words "Sky Drive" to delete.  I found a SkyDrive folder which contained very little.  I deleted it anyway; nothing happened.  I sat a restore point and uninstalled WLM and the uploading tool; nothing.  I reinstalled them again.  I found somecalled Dashboard which when clicked, opened SkyDrive's dashboard.  I deleted it; nothing happened!  I have since restored everything I deleted.

Things got so crazy, I Googled "Delete SkyDrive".  The information from Googled was on a tab next to the SkyDrive's tab.  After reading through Google's selections, which were useless, I clicked the SkyDrive tab.  I tell no lie, immediately a SkyDrive user was created name Delete SkyDrive!  I will send you a snippet of that page also.

I must admit I do not know how "sharing" actually works.  But I know in SkyDrive I only have the option of who shares my personal information,, but not who shares their information with me.  With that I have no control.

I also found a page with the names of people I contacted, this was not my email contact list.  To my, again, utter surprise, these were individuals I responded to in the WLM Newsgroup.  One of the individuals on that list also shared his pictures with me.  I think you will recognize his name when I send you a screen shot.

I will now get to work putting together those screenshots, because, I kid you not, I was considering restoring my computer to the original factory configuration; which shows my desperation or foolishness.  But it would have given me a peace of mind.

Gratefully,

Camiele

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:47 PM
  • I look forward to receiving your email. If I don't get it by tommorrow, I'll let you know.
    -steve
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:47 PM
  • I look forward to receiving your email. If I don't get it by tommorrow, I'll let you know.
    -steve
     I think that my question in similar with the above....can anyone pls tell me how do i delete my sky drive history?I want to thank you all in advance.....
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:11 PM
  •  I think that my question in similar with the above....can anyone pls tell me how do i delete my sky drive history?I want to thank you all in advance.....
    There is no facility to delete the history of yoru SkyDrive connections, as far as I know. You can confirm this by contacting support.

Go to http://support.live.com and sign in with a LiveID

Click on the Windows Live service or product you need help with.

If you are not presented with an email support form, but are instead redirected to help.live.com for that service/product, in the page that opens from http://help.live.com select any topic on the left hand side or search for a question in the search box.

The results of your search or the clicked topic appears in the right hand frame, along with a tiny link in the lower right hand corner – “Get more help.”

Click that tiny link and you will get to a page with a link “Contact support”

Click that link and you will be presented with the email support form to fill out. Provide as much detail as possible and you should get a response from support within 24 hours.

Help topics at http://help.live.com

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:55 PM