none
Posting HDView project on Skydrive

Question

•  

I would like to post the result of an HDView project but only for access by family members, so I though of using Live storage Skydrive for it, as you can give selective access to folders.

Because you cannot upload folders on Skydrive, I generated the HDView project using the Zip option.

I discovered that you had to actually add the zip extension to the file named “Files” and edit the .htm to include the zip extension for the page to open in that mode.

Once I had the project generated and working on my pc (files.zip, project.htm, HDViewSL.xap), I uploaded these 3 files to a semi private folder on SkyDrive, but when I launch the project.htm page from there, HDView opens but on a black and white grid saying buffering and nothing ever happens.

This is what happens when it does not find the files, so I am wondering what could be the cause of the problem.

Thanks for any advice

Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:53 PM

All replies

• Currently .zip tile archives only work for local preview.  HD View can not access zip archives over the web, you must extract the archive to individual tiles on your web server.  I think that this is the issue that you are encountering when trying to use skydrive.

Sorry, but off the top of my head I don't have a great suggestion for how to easily share content with limited access.  One idea is to instruct those that you are sharing with to download the files locally - but this is far from ideal.    

-Matt
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:55 AM
  • Too bad, this means I cant post on Skydrive then,

This being said, I tried to upload the File folder, but the htm page still cannot access the tiles (black and wgite grid)

I posted it on a public folder there:
    http://cid-49c20bd53e0e63c1.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/test/test.htm

The whole test project is here:
    http://cid-49c20bd53e0e63c1.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/test

May be you can let me know if I am supposed to change the url. I tried to replace the url in the htm file by the full path on the server, but it does not work either.

Apreciate the feedback

Monday, July 27, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Got an answer from the Skydrive people, apparently Skydrive is not suitable fopr HDView posting.

I get the feeling this is because the actual path for the tiles is not what it appears to be when you upload, so the page cannot open the tiles.

Too bad, this means no easy way to share HDView in a semi private manner.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:14 PM