none
PC Won't Boot after restore

Question

• My Dell 5150 had a failing hard drive. So I replaced the drive with a new one. I then did a restore from my WHS. Everything went fine until I rebooted. Now my pc keeps telling me there is a 'Configuration Problem". So I then got the XP Media Center cd and installed it the new drive. Now the pc boots but my files are still on my WHS. Is there something different about a Dell pc that won't let WHS restore a new drive correctly? Please help....
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 7:11 PM

Answers

• Probably the original disk contained a hidden restore partition, makin the boot partition the second partition on the drive. After restore this special partition is missing so boot.ini points to the wrong partition. After restore you get an option to review boot.ini, increase the number for partition() with 1.

[EDIT] Oops, is shoud be decrease by 1 as Martin poins out below.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 4:50 AM
  • A small fix: When the hidden partition is no longer present, you have to decrease the number by 1, typically you should see this line in boot.ini:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, October 02, 2009 6:18 AM
  • And we have even a detailed FAQ for this:
    How to solve boot problems after restoring a client disk

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 02, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Thanks to everyone. I did a little research and could have saved myself a ton of headaches by just looking at the 'Review Boot.ini" tab at the end of the restore. I set the values down to to (1), hit 'Save", rebooted and life is great. WHS is hands down one of the best investments I have made for safe guarding my data.
    • Marked as answer by xtdaddy Saturday, October 03, 2009 11:41 AM
    Friday, October 02, 2009 12:22 PM

All replies

• Probably the original disk contained a hidden restore partition, makin the boot partition the second partition on the drive. After restore this special partition is missing so boot.ini points to the wrong partition. After restore you get an option to review boot.ini, increase the number for partition() with 1.

[EDIT] Oops, is shoud be decrease by 1 as Martin poins out below.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 4:50 AM
  • A small fix: When the hidden partition is no longer present, you have to decrease the number by 1, typically you should see this line in boot.ini:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, October 02, 2009 6:18 AM
  • And we have even a detailed FAQ for this:
    How to solve boot problems after restoring a client disk

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 02, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Thanks to everyone. I did a little research and could have saved myself a ton of headaches by just looking at the 'Review Boot.ini" tab at the end of the restore. I set the values down to to (1), hit 'Save", rebooted and life is great. WHS is hands down one of the best investments I have made for safe guarding my data.
    • Marked as answer by xtdaddy Saturday, October 03, 2009 11:41 AM
    Friday, October 02, 2009 12:22 PM