none
Setup: What are the hardware requirements for setting up Windows Home Server?

Question

• What are the high-level hardware requirements for getting a box up and running?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 1:43 AM

Answers

• The recommended settings for Windows Home Server are:

CPU: 1GHz Pentium 3 or better
    RAM: 512MB minimum
    Hard Drive:1 Hard Drive 80GB internal (IDE, ATA, SATA, or SCSI)
    DVD drive that is bootable
    Monitor for the installation
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 100Mbps Ethernet
    MotherBoard must be ACPI compliant

Must have Windows Server 2003 driver support.

I would recommend using 2 or more hard drives if you can.  This will allow Windows Home Server to make duplications if you turn Shared Folder duplication on.  With 3 hard drives or more, this moves information off the hard drive that has Windows Home Server installed on.  If you only have 1 or 2 hard drives for now, you can always easily add more later on by simply plugging a USB hard drive in or installing one internally and adding it to your Server Storage.

In other words, my recommended setup would be the following or better:

CPU: 2GHz
    RAM: 1GB
    Hard Drives: One 300GB hard drive for Windows Home Server and two 300GB drives (or larger) for the storage.
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 1Gbps Ethernet

Please note: Laptops are not supported per the Release Documentation.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:27 PM

All replies

• The recommended settings for Windows Home Server are:

CPU: 1GHz Pentium 3 or better
    RAM: 512MB minimum
    Hard Drive:1 Hard Drive 80GB internal (IDE, ATA, SATA, or SCSI)
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 100Mbps Ethernet

Must have Windows Server 2003 driver support.

I would recommend using 2 or more hard drives if you can.  This will allow Windows Home Server to make duplications if you turn Shared Folder duplication on.  With 3 hard drives or more, this moves information off the hard drive that has Windows Home Server installed on.  If you only have 1 or 2 hard drives for now, you can always easily add more later on by simply plugging a USB hard drive in or installing one internally and adding it to your Server Storage.

In other words, my recommended setup would be the following or better:

CPU: 2GHz
    RAM: 1GB
    Hard Drives: One 300GB hard drive for Windows Home Server and two 300GB drives (or larger) for the storage.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 1Gbps Ethernet

Please note: Laptops are not supported per the Release Documentation.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Is it possible to install it on a machine lower than 1GHz, if it meets the other requirements (RAM and HDD)?

In other words, will setup complete, or will it bomb?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:32 PM
  • I heard to have your largest drive first.  If I have 2 - 500gb drives and 1 - 80gb.  Should the 80gb  be first so the 500gb drives are used for storage?
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:32 PM
  • I no longer have a spare pc laying around to use as the server so I am buying a new one.  I had planned on putting in 2 x 320Gb SATA drives, and once it is working correctly, adding 2 USB drives. 

After reading you post about the server moving the info off the primary drive (for 3 or more drives), I am thinking about putting in an old 120Gb drive to be used as the primary, and using the new SATAs for storage.  The only problem is that this contradicts other posts saying that your largest drive should be your primary. 

Please let me know what would be the best set-up in this situation.

Thanks 

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:15 PM
  • That can't be ALL the hardware requirements?

This is a communicating machine to the rest of the family?

I know what you are saying, this is the minimum hardware for the machine serving the software, but let's list it all including Router, receivers, etc.

Sure were all Geeks/Masochists here but let's not lose sight of Einstein simplicity: Albert Einstein (1879-1955) "Make things as simple as possible and no simpler."

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:46 AM
  • How does RAM really help the WHS? I'm currently using 512 MB. Will 1GB or more add any performance etc?
    Monday, March 26, 2007 6:06 PM