none
Questions about upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1

Question

• There is a warning in the instructions on the MS download web page for SyncToy version 2.1--it applies to those upgrading from a prior version.  I have four questions about the warning that I'm hoping someone may be able to help answer.  Here's the warning followed by the questions.

WARNING
    If upgrading from an earlier version of SyncToy (e.g. SyncToy 1.4 or SyncToy 2.0), it is **CRITICAL** to ensure that all folder pairs are fully synchronized using the previous version before running SyncToy 2.1 setup. Not following this guideline can lead to unintended behavior and partial data loss when running SyncToy 2.1 for the first time after upgrade. All folder pairs must also be fully synchronized at least once right after the upgrade is done.

Question #1
    When it says all folder pairs have to be fully "synchronized", does  it mean each pair has to be run with the action option set to "Synchronize" (even if normally set to "Echo" or "Contribute"), or does it simply mean each folder pair has to be run, and it's OK to leave the action option at "Echo" or "Contribute" if that was the action normally used for the folder pair?

Question #2
    Instead of synchronizing all the backups before and after the upgrade, would it be possible to simply delete all the folder pairs in version 2.0, uninstall version 2.0, install version 2.1, and recreate the folder pairs?

I ask because I have several backup drives scattered across three physical sites--one of which is 60 miles away.  It's very inconvenient to collect the drives from all three locations in order to synchronize them all immediately before the upgrade and then again afterward.  I'm even more concerned that having every single backup drive in one location could mean total data loss in the event of a break-in, or a fire or storm at the location where all the backups are being synchronized.  That kind of risk tends to defeat the whole purpose of having backups.

Question #3
    If the answer to question #2 is "Yes", will I have to manually delete all the SyncToy 2.0 .dat files from all the backup drives in order to prevent problems with SyncToy 2.1?

Question #4
    If the answer to question #3 is "Yes", is there a way to distinguish between .dat files created by versions 2.0 and 2.1?

I ask because some of the .dat files on the backup drives were created by SyncToy 2.1 running on a laptop under Windows 7, and some were created by SyncToy 2.0 running on a desktop under Windows XP.  The desktop is where I'm wanting to upgrade from version 2.0 to 2.1 and I'm hoping there's a way to make sure I just delete the .dat files that were created by SyncToy 2.0 on the desktop.

THANKS!
    I realize that hoping for answers to such questions is a long-shot.  But if anyone has an answer to even one of the questions, your help will be much appreciated.

Rick

• Edited by famman Friday, March 23, 2012 5:21 PM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 5:15 PM