Processing Auto Configuration pop up

General discussion

• I had to shut my computer down for a couple of days (went away). (Note that this is a pretty old desktop computer but although slow, works great. Windows XP home/2002 w/service pack 2)
    When I came back, I re-booted and a pop up keeps coming up (blue outline, grey inside) that says:  Processing Auto Configuration... then it disappears. There/gone-- there/gone. Screen kind of "jiggles" a little each time it pops up.
    Making me crazy. Mouse pointer goes behind it.  I called my computer tech support.  They said I need to reinstall operating system/drivers etc (therefore losing everything on hard drive unless I go out and get a external hd to back all up). 
    I really didn't understand what she tried to explain was the reason for this pop up.  I actually thought it might be a virus...although my computer does an automatic update and virus scan regularly (just done and said was good).

Can someone help get this OFF my screen??
    Thanks,
    Lettesgo
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:57 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:58 PM Off topic. (From:Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies