none
SongSmith Installation 1001 Error : WMA files

Question

• I have windows 8 on my sony vaio laptop...i am trying to install SongSmith and getting Error : 1001 the WMA files could not be extracted contact microsoft support...

any help?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• I have windows 8 on my sony vaio laptop...i am trying to install SongSmith and getting Error : 1001 the WMA files could not be extracted contact microsoft support...

any help?

I have the same problem, I think it´s a compatibility issue with Win8 CR.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Correct, Songsmith is not quite compatible with the Windows 8 preview yet.  We will address this when the release version of Windows 8 is good to go.

Thanks for your interest in Songsmith!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:50 PM
    Owner
  • Any news regarding RTM? I am running W8RTM and would love to use Songsmith on that platform. Any workaround for the error above until a new release? //Daniel

Sunday, September 02, 2012 5:41 PM
  • The problem has been identified and fixed, and a new version of Songsmith will be available soon (before Windows 8 general availability).

Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:00 PM
    Owner
  • Songsmith version 1.03 is online now; this version is compatible with Windows 8 (standard, pro, or enterprise) (i.e., anything running on x86 or x64).

See:

http://research.microsoft.com/songsmith/download.html

Thanks!

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:41 PM
    Owner
  • Songsmith version 1.03 is online now; this version is compatible with Windows 8 (standard, pro, or enterprise) (i.e., anything running on x86 or x64).

See:

Thanks!

Has the Academic Version been updated to 1.03?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Yes, the Academic Version has been updated to 1.03 (and Windows 8 compatibility) (not Windows RT).

See http://research.microsoft.com/songsmith/teachers.html .

Happy Songsmith'ing, and please let us know how Songsmith helps you in the classroom!

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:16 PM
    Owner
  • dear dab do I need to rebuy songsmith to run on windows 8 or can I download version 1.03 thanks terry
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 2:37 AM
  • You can just download version 1.03 from:

The serial number you used previously will work fine for version 1.03.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but glad that you'll still be able to run Songsmith!

Sunday, December 09, 2012 4:14 AM
    Owner
  • I got Songsmith from my msdnaa but is only version 1.02 but I run Windows 8. We have no serial for it, how can I get the update to run it on my laptop? This is obtain from Devry University. Thanks In Advance!
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Ditto. I got this from msdnaa and it would not install on Windows 8. There is no serial number or anything given upon receipt of the software. Version 1.03 installed much better. So what can we do when the six free hours is up? Can we supply an order number and agreement number to prove we got it legitimately? Can the serial be found within the secure download? Thanks as well.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:06 AM
  • Thanks ITAngel and raneyron for bringing this up, and sorry for the inconvenience.  We're getting the MSDNAA version updated ASAP, and we'll post back when it's available.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:00 PM
    Owner
  • All who asked about the MSDNAA availability: Songsmith 1.03 (which is compatible with Windows 8) is now available via MSDNAA.

Have fun!

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:33 PM
    Owner
  • I know this is an old post, but I'm trying to install SongSmith.  I've just downloaded it from my Dreamspark portal.  I'm getting the same error.  Is the version on Dreamspark out of date?
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Sounds like the version on Dreamspark is out of date.  Can you tell me the name of the setup (.msi) file that you downloaded?  It should have the version number in the file name.  If it's out of date, I'll look into getting it updated ASAP.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:49 PM
    Owner