none
Exception during preview: SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.

Question

• Hi seems like this exception happens in a folder with around 100k files in it> Still, should not matter> running on WS2003x64 fully updated

did the uninstall and reinstall of v2.1 SyncToy 6 I had never successfully syncd prior to the upgrade but there are the typical upgrade issues declared on the 2.1 download page. i followed instructions but i cannot seem to get it to even preview without exception.

any help most appreciated.

SYNC: 12/03/2009 16:04:48:000: Started scanning directory : C:\
    SYNC: 12/03/2009 16:04:48:000: Started scanning directory : I:\SyncToy Zac C\
    SYNC: 12/03/2009 16:04:48:109: Stopped scanning directory : I:\SyncToy Zac C\
    SYNC: 12/03/2009 17:39:42:531: *** Exception during preview: {0} : SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.:
     Microsoft.Synchronization.MetadataStorage.MetadataStorageEngineException: A storage engine operation failed with error code 25091 (HRESULT = 0x80004005, Source IID = {0FB15084-AF41-11CE-BD2B-204C4F4F5020}, Parameters=(0, 0, 0, , , , )).
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80041288): A storage engine operation failed with error code 25091 (HRESULT = 0x80004005, Source IID = {0FB15084-AF41-11CE-BD2B-204C4F4F5020}, Parameters=(0, 0, 0, , , , )).

at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.DetectChanges()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 12/03/2009 17:39:42:531: *** Exception during preview: SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers

• by reading the exception and the error code ( 25091 ), this seems to be the same issue reported in other threads for sync-ing up large number of files. the error code basically indicates out of lock space with the internal store for storing metadata.

we are  actively investigating this issue. Meanwhile, as workaround, you can us mutiple folder pairs to avoid such issue and gain performance when sync-ing files.

thanks for reproting this issue and sorry for the inconvenience due to this issue.

Thanks
    Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:08 PM

All replies

• by reading the exception and the error code ( 25091 ), this seems to be the same issue reported in other threads for sync-ing up large number of files. the error code basically indicates out of lock space with the internal store for storing metadata.

we are  actively investigating this issue. Meanwhile, as workaround, you can us mutiple folder pairs to avoid such issue and gain performance when sync-ing files.

thanks for reproting this issue and sorry for the inconvenience due to this issue.

Thanks
    Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:08 PM
  • We are getting this problem on WS2008 Standard x64 using 'Preview only'. We are trying to sync a root/child/grandchild/etc. folder structure with over 2 million files - a total that is increasing each minute. We are doing this over a VPN to a remote server.

Using a multiple folder pair solution isn't really practical, because the child folders under the root folder are created dynamically and of course the number of files within each child is increasing dynamically also - so to avoid the 'too many files' issue we would really have to create folder pairs for each child folder (there are thousands) and hope that the number of files within each child folder does not increase beyond the maximum allowed (a figure that we don't know). And we would have to manually include 'new' child folders when they are created.

We really need a solution urgently to this limitation.

Any timescales yet?

Thanks,

Chris Lewis
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hi Yunwen did you find a solution, I also have this same problem today (code 25091), I have around 2.5 millions files to sync and I can't create multiple sync pair because new folders are added every day so I must sync my root folder.

Thank you

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Hi - I am also facing the same issue on my production machine. I have large number of files in the folder and I can't create multiple sync pair because new folders are added every day so I must sync my root folder.

Any help is much appreciated as we are running an issue with our production system.

Thanks,

Ganesan.J

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem as well.   "SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized..."

This is while Syncing a large folder on a WS2008 R2 machine. Using SyncToy ver 2.1 x64.

Best regards

-= Tord =-

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem as well.   "SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized..."

Best regards

-= Tord =-

This is a ME TOO post.

August 1, 2011.

I have been using SyncToy since v2.0. and never had a hiccup until a few days ago. Yes, I am copying large amounts of data (from C:\Users\MyName to an external 2T drive). Win 7 Ultimate.

Craig, AMTELCO
    Monday, August 01, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Any update on this? It's been over TWO YEARS since the OP and we're still getting this bug. Is SyncToy abandonware now?

-------------------------------------------

SYNC: 02/01/2012 15:43:57:418: Started scanning directory : E:\Backups\Tower\G\
    SYNC: 02/01/2012 15:43:57:418: Started scanning directory : G:\
    SYNC: 02/01/2012 16:46:59:514: Stopped scanning directory : G:\
    SYNC: 02/01/2012 16:47:01:270: *** Exception during preview: {0} : SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.:
     Microsoft.Synchronization.MetadataStorage.MetadataStorageEngineException: A storage engine operation failed with error code 25091 (HRESULT = 0x80004005, Source IID = {0FB15084-AF41-11CE-BD2B-204C4F4F5020}, Parameters=(0, 0, 0, , , , )).
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80041288): A storage engine operation failed with error code 25091 (HRESULT = 0x80004005, Source IID = {0FB15084-AF41-11CE-BD2B-204C4F4F5020}, Parameters=(0, 0, 0, , , , )).

at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.Interop.FileSyncProviderClass.DetectChanges()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChangesOnProvider(FileSyncProvider syncProvider, String replicaRootPath)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.DetectChanges.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 02/01/2012 16:47:01:292: *** Exception during preview: SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:54 AM
  • I have the same problem.

Will this be fixed ?

Friday, July 20, 2012 11:59 AM