none
can i change from windows 7 ultimate to windows 7 professional without reinstalling it?

Question

• Hello there,

I was using a pirated copy of windows 7 Ultimate.

Now i bought a genuine key for windows 7 professional.

Can i change my windows 7 ultimate to windows 7 professional without deleting this previous installation?

Or is it good to reformat my hard drive and then install the new genuine windows?

Please give suitable advice.

Thank you

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:45 AM

Answers

• "Misant Dhakal" wrote in message news:a6533fd2-c468-4f73-bf05-4e7284b6d1c2...

Hello there,

Can i change my windows 7 ultimate to windows 7 professional without deleting this previous installation?

Or is it good to reformat my hard drive and then install the new genuine windows?

Thank you

It is not possible to ‘downgrade’ an installation without a reformat/reinstall.
    Note that if you only bought a Key, then it’s also counterfeit – there is no such thing as a Key-only Windows SKU.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:31 AM

All replies

• "Misant Dhakal" wrote in message news:a6533fd2-c468-4f73-bf05-4e7284b6d1c2...

Hello there,

Thank you

It is not possible to ‘downgrade’ an installation without a reformat/reinstall.
    Note that if you only bought a Key, then it’s also counterfeit – there is no such thing as a Key-only Windows SKU.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:31 AM
  • You have to do a custom install.  Whether you reformat is up to you.  If you don't you will have a large windows.old file which you will need to get rid of anyway. 
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:19 PM
  • You'll have to perform a "clean install" of Windows 7 Professional using a genuine Windows 7 Professional DVD.  This will entail reformatting the hard drive, thus removing the non-genuine Windows 7 Ultimate operating system.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:33 AM