none
MP4 Codec in Live Movie Maker on Windows 7 Ultimate

Question

• I'm so happy Windows 7 has native support for MP4, as my new camera produces only that format!
    But installing Nokia, BlackBerry and Sony software seems to bring another MP4 codec on the PC.

Windows Media Player still chooses the right codec (THANK YOU Micrsoft for arranging this).
    But the Live Movie Maker now uses the wrong codec to import video. :-(
    I've found a lot of new MP4 related registry keys in the Registry, but unsure what to do with them...

??Anyone please tell me how to restore the Microsoft MP4 codec as the preferred one for Live Movie Maker in a technically correct way???

Thanks!
    Hans_S
    (I hope I selected the *most closely* matching forum, there's no clearly better one?)
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:47 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure if this is the exact same problem but definitely one of them.

I am trying to import an MP4 file into WLMM but the video will not appear (the audio works correctly however).

Just wondering if this could be fixed?

Cheers
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Have either of you come up with a solution.  Media Player is happy with its codec -     

mp4sdecd.dll

But Live Movie Maker doesn't seem to believe it is there.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 12:08 AM
  • I went to cnet and found windows essentials media codec pack - and it worked.
    http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Essentials-Media-Codec-Pack/3000-2140_4-10662709.html

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I would be so disappointed if the only solution is to re-install and re-install and re-install a Codec Pack. The original good MP4 Codec is allready on the machine. The principal question is: how do I make it the preferred one for Movie Maker again? (No-one from Microsoft looking at this tread??)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Thanks wrnyng2, downloaded codecs and Windows movie maker now working fine. Big thank you
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:13 PM
  • hiya. my problem's kinda complicated. My WMM had no problems with mp4 before. Now i can't "create clips" on mp4's anymore.  i use windows7 but i dont think i use  WLMM . i'm working on so many videos at the same time so i cant go through converting. i really need to finish this project. help get my WMM working on mp4's again!!!
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:34 PM