none
Windows did not pass genuine validation

Question

• Hi, tunred on my PC this morning and got Microsoft Security Essentials come up with the following message "Windows did not pass genuine validation".

I bought the PC on eBay February 2010 and until this morning have had no software issues.
    I've run the "Windows genuine advantage validation tool" and have the following results that I don't understand, but is it saying that something isn't genuine or have I just got a glitch in the system?

Many thanks 
    Michael

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: License store error

Validation Code: 12

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-M6PX2-V96BF-8CKBJ

Windows Product Key Hash: n3MqC4LOVOQQgQUf4VrjJV6OaXI=

Windows Product ID: 76487-640-5536995-23421

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

ID: {FF6A5543-04DB-4D6B-8335-CA4A7F7F12AD}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_63BB5E84-186-80070005_63BB5E84-235-80070005_16E0B333-89-80070005_78155E4D-232-80070005

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{FF6A5543-04DB-4D6B-8335-CA4A7F7F12AD}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8CKBJ</PKey><PID>76487-640-5536995-23421</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-1960408961-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.80</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20090708000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DF753EF70184E078</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->

N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

BIOS string matches: yes

Marker string from BIOS: 136FB:GENUINE C&C INC

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

N/A

M Lonsdale
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hello Snoozzzeee Cat,

Since you do not have a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) either affixed to the computer or included as would be affixed to the top of the retail store package, we have ruled out being able to help you reinstall a genuine license for Windows onto this computer. 

As Noel noted, the current installation of Windows XP Pro on this computer is a Volume Licensing installation.  VL editions of Windows are sold to larger businesses, educational institutions, government agencies and other such organizations that need to install Windows with a greater degree of flexibility on a large number of computers.

Unfortunately, unscrupulous people steal the product keys for these VL editions and use them to install Windows onto computers and then sell them to unsuspecting consumers.  When Microsoft finds out that the keys have been stolen, they blacklist the keys, and eventually the Windows Genuine Advantage utility installed on the computer picks up this info and alerts you to the fact that your Windows installation is nongenuine.  That is probably why you are just now being informed that this is a nongenuine installation---at the time of purchase and installation, it was probably not known that this product key had been compromised and was being used by unscrupulous sellers.

If possible, you should pursue the seller for a refund for what you paid for the Windows license on the computer.  If you purchased thru PayPal or eBay, unfortunately their 45-day claim window has long since closed.  If you paid by credit card, it might be worth your while to call them to see if they can do anything for you.

If you think you might want to follow the prompts to buy a WGA Kit from Microsoft to move up to Windows 7 (XP is no longer available), looking at the specs of your motherboard, it looks like it has enough capability to support Windows 7 assuming you have populated it with sufficient RAM and processor.  Otherwise, you can try to find a genuine license for XP to buy somewhere (they have been out of production for some time now so genuine ones are increasingly hard to find), or you can buy a genuine copy of Vista.  PLEASE stay away from eBay, Amazon Marketplace (Amazon themselves are of course OK), and the like to avoid more counterfeit/nongenuine software.

Monday, June 20, 2011 2:26 PM

All replies

• "Snoozzzeee Cat" wrote in message news:a7ea75e2-615b-4a0d-9b8f-8b4e0378f8af...

Hi, tunred on my PC this morning and got Microsoft Security Essentials come up with the following message "Windows did not pass genuine validation".

I bought the PC on eBay February 2010 and until this morning have had no software issues.
    I've run the "Windows genuine advantage validation tool" and have the following results that I don't understand, but is it saying that something isn't genuine or have I just got a glitch in the system?

Many thanks 
    Michael

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: License store error

Validation Code: 12

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-M6PX2-V96BF-8CKBJ

Windows Product Key Hash: n3MqC4LOVOQQgQUf4VrjJV6OaXI=

Windows Product ID: 76487-640-5536995-23421

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

M Lonsdale

Your installation of Windows is counterfeit - it's based on a Volume License Key which has been published all over the internet, and even it we repaired the Licensing Store problem, it would never activate.
    By the looks of it, the motherboard is a retail one.
    For which version and edition of Windows is the machine licensed, according to the COA sticker on the case, if any?
     Also, tell us if the second line of the CoA has "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in it, or does the second line have the name of a major computer manufacturer, such as Dell or Fujitsu-Siemens?

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:28 AM
  • There are no stickers on the back or anywhere else on the case.
    The Motherboard is an ASRock G31M-s R2.0

The company that I got it from still has a website up and running and they appear to be still selling on eBay albeit under a different name.

So where do I go from here?

M Lonsdale
    Monday, June 20, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Hello Snoozzzeee Cat,

Since you do not have a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) either affixed to the computer or included as would be affixed to the top of the retail store package, we have ruled out being able to help you reinstall a genuine license for Windows onto this computer. 

As Noel noted, the current installation of Windows XP Pro on this computer is a Volume Licensing installation.  VL editions of Windows are sold to larger businesses, educational institutions, government agencies and other such organizations that need to install Windows with a greater degree of flexibility on a large number of computers.

Unfortunately, unscrupulous people steal the product keys for these VL editions and use them to install Windows onto computers and then sell them to unsuspecting consumers.  When Microsoft finds out that the keys have been stolen, they blacklist the keys, and eventually the Windows Genuine Advantage utility installed on the computer picks up this info and alerts you to the fact that your Windows installation is nongenuine.  That is probably why you are just now being informed that this is a nongenuine installation---at the time of purchase and installation, it was probably not known that this product key had been compromised and was being used by unscrupulous sellers.

If possible, you should pursue the seller for a refund for what you paid for the Windows license on the computer.  If you purchased thru PayPal or eBay, unfortunately their 45-day claim window has long since closed.  If you paid by credit card, it might be worth your while to call them to see if they can do anything for you.

If you think you might want to follow the prompts to buy a WGA Kit from Microsoft to move up to Windows 7 (XP is no longer available), looking at the specs of your motherboard, it looks like it has enough capability to support Windows 7 assuming you have populated it with sufficient RAM and processor.  Otherwise, you can try to find a genuine license for XP to buy somewhere (they have been out of production for some time now so genuine ones are increasingly hard to find), or you can buy a genuine copy of Vista.  PLEASE stay away from eBay, Amazon Marketplace (Amazon themselves are of course OK), and the like to avoid more counterfeit/nongenuine software.

Monday, June 20, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Thanks Dan
    I've tried eBay but they don't want to know but as you suggested I have taken it up with my credit card company who will take it up the company in question's bankers. They suggest that it could take a month or more. So technically I am left without a PC and can't afford a new one. At least we have a Dell Inspiron Mini 10.
    The people the PC came from appear to be still trading, their website is running and everything on it appears to be very current. They currently aren't listing anything on eBay under the name that I purchased from but I think they are trading under a different name.

Is there anybody I can pass this information on to to help stamp this out.

I ran a Windows 7 check and it wasn't up to spec, but I may try getting it up to spec.

Regards
    Michael

M Lonsdale
    Monday, June 20, 2011 6:23 PM
  • "Snoozzzeee Cat" wrote in message news:ea49b4c5-08f8-4339-bcc8-ba570d979c26...

Thanks Dan
    I've tried eBay but they don't want to know but as you suggested I have taken it up with my credit card company who will take it up the company in question's bankers. They suggest that it could take a month or more. So technically I am left without a PC and can't afford a new one. At least we have a Dell Inspiron Mini 10.
    The people the PC came from appear to be still trading, their website is running and everything on it appears to be very current. They currently aren't listing anything on eBay under the name that I purchased from but I think they are trading under a different name.

Is there anybody I can pass this information on to to help stamp this out.

I ran a Windows 7 check and it wasn't up to spec, but I may try getting it up to spec.

Regards
    Michael

M Lonsdale

piracy@microsoft.com - that should get them noticed :) - note that you can only expect a form response from that address - you're lucky if you get a status report, but it ODES get into the system.
    The other option is through the How-To-Tell site here.....
    (it may redirect to your localisation - if not you can do it yourself :)   )

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, June 20, 2011 6:57 PM
  • This may not be the ideal solution, but for a temporary solution you could install Linux. Ubuntu has a program called WUBI. It is an Ubuntu installer that runs from within Windows, but creates a dual boot system with no knowledge of the Linux operating system. Until you can do something else with the Windows installation, this would at least give you access to your files and internet access without the counterfeit license issue.

Once you get things taken care of, you can try calling Microsofts phone validation number (I do not have that off hand) and explain the situation. I had lost an XP key once and I think it cost me about $10 and they gave me a valid license key over the phone (keep it in a safe place if they can get it for you!!!).  I do not know if they will be able to do the same in your situation, but it's worth a shot!

They may ask you for the license key, to be prepared, you can try installing Speccy from Piriform (it's free). It is a program that gives specific information about your computer, such as hardware, operating system, RAM, and the plain text license key (which is clearly blacklisted). Since this is counterfeit, do not be shocked if they cannot or will not sell you a license key though. I just figured it might be worth a try.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Problem solved thanks, I bought a new PC with Windows 7. Took the 1TB hard drive out of the old and put it in the new PC formatted it and use it as a backup. Put the old DVD writer in so now have 2 and put the rest on eBay.

Having paid by credit card I tried to get some money back via Visa and am still waiting to hear from them.

Thanks

M Lonsdale
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hello Snoozzzeee Cat,

Nice move on the W7....on good hardware it's a very good OS.

Best of luck with your pursuit of a refund thru your CC company, I hope they find in your favor and get your money back :-)

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:00 AM