Turning off Unused Programs - relation to msconfig.exe

Question

• I've just received my first monthly report from the OneCare Beta 2. This is a great addition to the OneCare system. However, I am a little puzzled as to where my options on this are being stored. One of the annoying regular pop-ups from v1 & v2 beta has been the reminder that some programs were being prevented from running at startup. These are program I have disabled in the msconfig.exe startup tab due to them being unwanted or a potential cause of problems such as Roxio's Drag-to-disk (Easy Media Creator Suite 9) which played havoc with Windows Vista. The question is: Does OneCare store these options separately? I notice that it has not listed any of the programs which have been disabled in msconfig.

I'd like to permanently uninstall some of these start-up programs, but the options don't always exist without uninstalling the whole application. Is there any plan to get OneCare to integrate or take over some of this functionality from msconfig, so that one could reset msconfig to resume standard startup?

I'd also like to see a tough line from Microsoft with their partners on these start-up programs which ought to be optional by default unless absolutely necessary to the application.

Secondly, there is a hole raft of problems which come with HP's printer software in which resident programs don't seem to do anything useful, don't conform to guidelines, and don't properly close during shut-down, for which HP should be taken to task.

Monday, August 20, 2007 10:48 AM

Answers