Maximum RAM Capacity for WHS 2011

Question

• I would like to know what is the maximum memory that is supported by WHS 2011. I have 12GB of DDR3 RAM waiting for it, as I'm trying to build a media powerhouse, along with an i7 950 processor, X58 Gigabyte mobo, and other components that I'll be piecing together. I've been reading on the web that it has an 8GB RAM limit, which would leave me with an extra 4GB floating around. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

-Eli

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• I believe you are correct that 8GB is the limit for WHS 2011. Mainly I would guess is that it does not need anything close to that to operate effectively. The wisdom here suggests you will not really see any benefits by using more than 4GB. You probably don't want to hear this but in my mind, the whole design of your server looks like a major overkill unless you are planning to do something with it it's not designed for!
    • Marked as answer by Aranha82 Friday, May 20, 2011 2:44 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I got the same impression about WHS 2011 as well.  It makes sense since it is based on Windows 2008 R2 Foundation (the starter edition for Windows server).  It ticks me off though. 

Also, the specs for your server PC sound like my current work station.  When I upgrade my work station, I have a tendacy to throw the old hardware at my server.  My workstation vastly exceeds the hardware supported by WHS 2011 as well.  Due to this and since I am going to end up using a real RAID controller in my next build, I decided to go with Windows 7 Pro x64 for my server build.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:45 PM
  • As stated earlier, 8 gig RAM is max.

Haven't tried install more than 8 though myself.

On an average, my WHS 2011 seems to have a 1.9 to 2.8 GB RAM footprint.

I have seen top notings of about 3.8 gig RAM in use. In these cases happening, it seems to be the Crashplan client going bananas.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• I believe you are correct that 8GB is the limit for WHS 2011. Mainly I would guess is that it does not need anything close to that to operate effectively. The wisdom here suggests you will not really see any benefits by using more than 4GB. You probably don't want to hear this but in my mind, the whole design of your server looks like a major overkill unless you are planning to do something with it it's not designed for!
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I got the same impression about WHS 2011 as well.  It makes sense since it is based on Windows 2008 R2 Foundation (the starter edition for Windows server).  It ticks me off though. 

Also, the specs for your server PC sound like my current work station.  When I upgrade my work station, I have a tendacy to throw the old hardware at my server.  My workstation vastly exceeds the hardware supported by WHS 2011 as well.  Due to this and since I am going to end up using a real RAID controller in my next build, I decided to go with Windows 7 Pro x64 for my server build.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:45 PM
  • As stated earlier, 8 gig RAM is max.

Haven't tried install more than 8 though myself.

On an average, my WHS 2011 seems to have a 1.9 to 2.8 GB RAM footprint.

I have seen top notings of about 3.8 gig RAM in use. In these cases happening, it seems to be the Crashplan client going bananas.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Wow, that kinda hurts, but I guess that's always the case with the truth. The reason I have 12GB to throw at WHS 2011 is because I just installed 24GB into my current workstation (also an i7 950). I guess I was going for overkill because I'm trying to compensate for the inadequacies of my current WHS (V1) and it chugging with 3GB of RAM when I'm streaming videos through my LAN or other types of network access. I guess it doesn't help that I have a mix of SATA and IDE drives in it, as I suppose it's the IDEs that are bottlenecking, since they're the ones being used for the shares, for the most part. Thanks for the info guys. I'll figure something out with the extra 4GB of RAM.

-Eli

Friday, May 20, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Go full sata II/III. I think you will see a performance improvement. I went with the 3 platter Seagate 2TB green drives and for green drives, they are plenty fast.  Good luck.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:45 AM
  • I was reading this as i was hoping to put 16GB in my setup.  I use VM's at home for personal training and testing so loads of RAM and CPU is actually useful for me.  Theres nothing more frustrating than everything grinding to a halt when your trying to learn stuff.

Must admit though i7 is prob an overkill aranha82.  I'd settle for a i5 2400 sandybridge purely because its the cheapest quad core out there thats up to date, if your not using VM's and stuff, i3 will be more than fine.

Somepeople would say sandybridge is an overkill too, but I expect 5 years life from my WHS so not going for older chipsets purely from a driver support perspective.  Ive actually surpassed bolting old pieces of rubbish together now on my v1 rig and actually use my WHS as a vital part of my system setup so dont mind investing in the kit now.

Would be nice to see some proper power management though in WHS.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 10:22 PM