none
Running a workflow against a record owned by a inactive user

Question

• I completely understand you cannot run workflow against a record where the owner of the record is inactive and it won't work.  What I am trying grasp is why won't it work?

Say Lead is owned by Bob and he left the company and we deactivated his user account.  And we have some workflows in place which runs when the Lead updates.

Me, being the system admin closes the Lead owned by Bob.  And workflow runs but it fails. The error message is "Your access to Microsoft Dynamics CRM has not yet been fully configured.  Contact CRM Admin so they can assign security role."

So the question is, I closed the Lead so I should be the one executing the workflow but it still fails.  Can you please explain why?  Thank you. 

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:36 PM

All replies

• What is the workflow trying to do exactly? If you're creating some new record, such as an activity related to the lead, ensure that the owner of that record isn't set to be the lead owner. I tested a quick workflow for lead disqualification that updates the lead's fields and sends an email to the record owner who was set as inactive and I didn't encounter the error you mention.

Regarding workflow ownership, workflow processes that are  triggered automatically are actually run in the context of the user who owns the workflow. This is different from on-demand workflows triggered manually from the workflow ribbon button, as these are executed in the context of the user requesting the workflow to be run. You can find more information about the behavior from this blog post: http://gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com/2011/05/processesworkflow-ownership-faqs.html

Jukka Niiranen - My blog: Surviving CRM - Follow @jukkan on Twitter

Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:24 PM