Firewall causing dropouts

Question

• Whenever i connect to the internet, or go to a site, the firewall continually changes my firewall settings to restricted and knocks me off the internet. I have a new Toshiba laptop with an inbuilt WiFi reciver and am connected to a secured ADSL2+ network, yet it still causes these dropouts. Even with the firewall and antivirus turned off, it still turns itself back on and knocks the internet offline. Any ideas?
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:18 PM

Answers

• It sounds like your WiFi conection is weak or there is interference casing the disconnect/reconnect. It isn't a OneCare firewall issue, except that the firewall will switch to public and back to private which is a pain. The loss of connectivity is not the firewall, but your actual network connection. You may want to check with Toshiba regarding a driver update for the WiFi adapter if your signal strength is reading good or better. If you see other available networks with strong signals when you view available networks, you may want to change the broadcast channel on your wireless router to avoid interference from other routers nearby. Also, look for other possible causes of interference - cell phones near the router, microwave oven, cordless phones.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• I suggest contacting support for help with this firewall problem. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:55 PM
  • It sounds like your WiFi conection is weak or there is interference casing the disconnect/reconnect. It isn't a OneCare firewall issue, except that the firewall will switch to public and back to private which is a pain. The loss of connectivity is not the firewall, but your actual network connection. You may want to check with Toshiba regarding a driver update for the WiFi adapter if your signal strength is reading good or better. If you see other available networks with strong signals when you view available networks, you may want to change the broadcast channel on your wireless router to avoid interference from other routers nearby. Also, look for other possible causes of interference - cell phones near the router, microwave oven, cordless phones.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:46 PM