none
How to restore on netbooks with no CD-ROM?

Question

• Hello

I have been fortunate in that I have not needed to use the Restore CD for any of my system.  My Wife just bought an ACER Netbook and my WHS box is backing it up daily.  The NETBOOK does not have a CD-ROM Drive.   I do not know if it supports booting from a USB memory stick or CD-ROM.   if the netbook crashes - how woudl I restore from WHS?

WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:19 PM

Answers

• There must be a BIOS setting to boot from USB, if you've got that then you could try and follow the instructions found here on how to create a bootable USB stick with the WHS restore CD.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Turn_your_USB_Flash_Drive_Into_a_Windows_Install_Disk

(haven't tried this myself, but the instructions look detailed enough to follow)

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:00 PM
  • The generic answer for the question "How do I restore computer X that can't restore with the Restore CD?" is that you can remove the hard drive from the computer you need to restore, connect it to another computer on your network, and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe on that other computer. This can be difficult with some netbooks, since they may need a fair bit of disassembly to get the hard drive out. In that case you can try the "Restore CD on a flash drive" suggestion that activoice made.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:29 PM

All replies

• There must be a BIOS setting to boot from USB, if you've got that then you could try and follow the instructions found here on how to create a bootable USB stick with the WHS restore CD.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Turn_your_USB_Flash_Drive_Into_a_Windows_Install_Disk

(haven't tried this myself, but the instructions look detailed enough to follow)

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:00 PM
  • The generic answer for the question "How do I restore computer X that can't restore with the Restore CD?" is that you can remove the hard drive from the computer you need to restore, connect it to another computer on your network, and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe on that other computer. This can be difficult with some netbooks, since they may need a fair bit of disassembly to get the hard drive out. In that case you can try the "Restore CD on a flash drive" suggestion that activoice made.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:29 PM
  • use a external cd or dvd room combo end all your problems. i guarantee.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:08 AM
  • my daughters zoostorm netbook has stop booting up , i get a black screen  with file:\boot\bcd

status : 0xc000000f

but i dont have external drive . only usb ports , how do i make a usb flash thinging on a usb stick

thank you

Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Skip the usb.  Try this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/e3cd8791-5456-479b-943e-6399092363a7  It does require the hard drive from the netbook be removed, but, the procedure works.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:46 AM