none
Phone call from supposed Microsoft technical dept

Question

• I received  a call from someone stating they were from Microsoft technical support. He said my motherboard was corrupt and that the motherboard license had expired. He wanted me to sign up for a 1 yr/2yr or lifetime support (at a cost of $154 to $269) to keep the computer working properly. Said that failure to do so would result inthe computer not working properly. He had me go to "Event viewer" where I saw 2 messages that had a warning. His comment was that this was due to the motherboard corruption/license expiration. He gave me their phone number (I got suspicious) which was 315-352-4665. I called Microsoft Support, gave them the telephone number and they said it was not one of their numbers. His advice was to ignore the call. It appears this may be a scam.

I purchased my Windows 7 new just over a year ago and had not done anything to it.

Friday, May 27, 2011 8:13 PM

Answers

• Yes, it is definitely a Scam.

Microsoft does not Cold Call customers for support.  In fact Microsoft has a policy not to contact a customer unless they give use permission before hand.

In addition, Microsoft doesn't make Motherboards so would have no way to provide support for them (I don't even know what a "Motherboard License" is...sounds like complete rubbish).

I am Very Glad you got suspicious and didn't fall for the scam,

Darin MS

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Received the same phone call just now May 29 @ 6:30pm EST, Toronto, ON , Canada.  Smelled a scam right off the bat. Caller claimed he was calling from the UK and was from MS Tech Dept. and that they had getting reports that my computor was infected. It really confused him when I told him I did not own a computor and when i pressed him for more information he hung up. Unknown number message on *69.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:52 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is definitely a Scam.

Microsoft does not Cold Call customers for support.  In fact Microsoft has a policy not to contact a customer unless they give use permission before hand.

In addition, Microsoft doesn't make Motherboards so would have no way to provide support for them (I don't even know what a "Motherboard License" is...sounds like complete rubbish).

I am Very Glad you got suspicious and didn't fall for the scam,

Darin MS

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:44 PM
  • The reason the scammers send people to the event viewer is that there are almost always some sort of warning messages about "failed" events.  Conflicts and timing issues are common and produce these messages even though the events themselves have strictly temporary impacts.  The scammers count on people not knowing about the event viewer and becoming concerned.  This kind of cold calling scam is common is several countries.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Received the same phone call just now May 29 @ 6:30pm EST, Toronto, ON , Canada.  Smelled a scam right off the bat. Caller claimed he was calling from the UK and was from MS Tech Dept. and that they had getting reports that my computor was infected. It really confused him when I told him I did not own a computor and when i pressed him for more information he hung up. Unknown number message on *69.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Hi, for the second time, my daughter who is at home studying has had a call from a "Paul" who claimed to be from MS. He left a number (In Sydney) (02) 8222-8293. You ring the number and 'Paul' is not available and it goes to a voicemail service with a very American sounding voice.

I am 99.999999999999% sure it is a scam - and because this is the second time, and because it is upsetting my daughter who is trying to study, I would like advise on what action to take.

I have determined the phone number prefix 82 is Sydney city centre.

It does not show on reverse lookup - however a valid Microsoft number doesn't either.

I want to nail this guy - he was defintly asking question to try to establish a profile - what's your name, are you Stan's wife, what address, work number etc.

Can anyone advise?

Stan

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:20 AM
  • It is fundamentally not a Microsoft problem.  You should report the incidents to your local police and follow thier instructions.  Microsoft may be the subject of the call, but the misrepresentation is a matter of local law.  I suspect that the local authorities already have many reports and are investigating.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:33 AM
  • I have received a call saying I had a virus on my e-mails. has the security on my computor been compromised?
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:13 PM
  • "statham" wrote in message news:7e715f3b-36c0-492a-ad20-1793a60efb62...
    I have received a call saying I had a virus on my e-mails. has the security on my computor been compromised?

Not if you didn’t let the caller have access to the PC – but your phone number has.
    If you let the caller have access, they could OWN your PC now – and all the data on it

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Your telephone number has been compromised and made available to scammers.  Next time you receive a similar unsolicited call, hang up immediately.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:23 PM
  •  I just got a call this morning on sept 26th 2012 at 11;15am from someone saying there from microsoft company  the guy goes by the name of sami he said  my computer is coming up with alot of errors and that the harddrive might be having virus on it and that it make crash soon. and he tryed to ask me when was the last time i surfed the web and sent emails to people. and he gave me a phone number of 914-290-4992 and its a new york phone number. and i now he is a scammer i could tell by talking to him on the phone. people out there just need to be very careful of the internet scammers there is alot of them.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:11 PM