none
producing song components

Question

• hi all - I haven't looked at Songsmith yet but I'ld like to know how or IF Songsmith creates a full 3 or 4 minute song containing the lyrics to all the verses, the chorus, middle 8 and instrumental break. It seems a lot to ask of it. if it doesn't do something like this on its own, can it be manipulated manually from its initial result? Was that clear? Finally, if the initial piece can be expanded on, are the tools there and easy to find and use?

Basically, I'ld like to know if others have found Songsmith powerful yet simple enough to produce a full song incorporating all the above song elements. 

thanks - Songsmithy

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:15 AM

All replies

• Songsmithy:

Yes, you ask great questions.  Songsmith is not really set up to build a whole song with verses, choruses, bridge, etc.  This was a conscious choice we made in designing Songsmith: we wanted to keep the interaction simple for Songsmith's main purpose: exploring chords and sounds to accompany short melodies.  I think of Songsmith as a great way to work out one chorus, or one verse.

From there, a songwriter will probably take the chords away from Songsmith and work on his or her own - typically with instruments - to build the full song, using Songsmith as just a scratchpad.  But it's also possible to use Songsmith to build each piece of a song, then export MIDI or audio to use in another editor that's better-suited to assembling those pieces.  We made sure, for example, that if you stitch together exported Songsmith files, you won't get gaps, specifically to support this approach.

Hope that helps... happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 6:38 PM