Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:42 PMOwner
- Thread Page Rewrite: We spent this month reworking some of our middle tier code, focusing on the thread page which gets over 70% of the daily view traffic. The page should be more reliable, resolving a long standing bug where extended hex characters could render a thread useless (http 500). The changes should improve overall load time of thread pages and reduce thousands of monthly errors on the most used page. The changes will also make it easier for us to fix/maintain going forward. The page rewrite also addresses a few issues recently reported, such as reducing how many 'edit' notes we show for users that edit their posts.
- Database Changes: This month we are doing some major work on the database, simplifying some of the DBs/tables and removing some of the replication dependencies. At a high level this means there should be no more outrages or delays in "My Threads" or "My Alerts" views, the aggregation job that was supposed to keep this data fresh is going away, being replaces by a more real time data query.
- F# Code Formatting: We have added support for F# code formatting this particular language. User can see this when they insert code using the code formatting option in the editor.
- New Profile Stats Page: There will be a new interface in the user profile which shows some high level activity counts for the various applications (fourms, blogs, wiki, gallery, etc). For now, we only surface replies, helpful votes and new threads. Answers will not be surfaced until the October 27th release.
- Looking Ahead: We are continuing to work on performance improvements. We are also looking at some scenarios that may introduce tagging in the coming months in some contexts. Our plans are to get some of this tagging work in place in a CTP (test/review) environment and get feedback on how we can change and improve it prior to releasing it. We do not have dates for this yet but we are starting the work. Expect more next month.
Community Forums Program Manager
- Changed Type Brent SerbusOwner Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:42 PM not question
- Edited by Brent SerbusOwner Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:44 PM formatting
- Edited by Brent SerbusOwner Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:44 PM edit
- Edited by Brent SerbusOwner Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:46 PM edit
- Edited by Brent SerbusOwner Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:47 PM edit