none
MS Streets 2013 on Windows 8 Asus tablet with Broadcom GNSS Geolocation

Question

• Broadcom GNSS Geolocation Driver installed and working in Asus ME400C Win 8 device sensor list.  MS Streets 2013 installed and says "No GPS receiver is detected." I have read that the Asus ME400C Win 8 doesn't use com ports and am told many of these Win 8 tablet generally can only provide GPS data to one program at a time.

MS Streets is advertised as compatible with this Asus ME400C Win 8 tablet. So How do I see if  "GPS Satellite for Windows 8" is running running and how do I disable it? Also any other help with getting this to work is appreciated. -Dave

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:57 AM

All replies

• I just got a Dell Lattitude 10 that is  having the same problem

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Streets 2013 can only talk to GPS devices via a COM port. Neither of these two tablets have a low level driver that exposes the GNSS chip as a COM port so Streets does not even know it is there. Most other mapping software does the same.  Unfortunately that means the chip is really pretty much useless so i just left it turned off on my Latitude 10
    • Edited by erichemmer Friday, February 22, 2013 10:13 PM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Left hand of Microsoft hasn't the faintest idea what the right hand is doing.

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/microsoft-does-it-again/

Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:34 PM
  •  I finally found a way to get my Dell Latitude 10 (Broadcomm GNSS chip ,Windows 8 Pro) to work using an app called Centrafuse Localizer that creates a virtual com port and writes the NMEA data to it so Streets and Trips can connect to it ( must run as Administrator).

The latest Broadcomm drivers from Dell did not work. I was getting sensor data but not NMEA data , which seems to be a common issue. In the Localizer Support forum on his site he has an Installation How To thread that talks about how to verify you are getting NMEA data.

In order to fix that, I ended up installing Lovono Broadcomm drivers (do so at your own risk) referenced and linked on the site, and now Streets and Trips works connected to  the virtual com port. Depending on your chipset you may not even need to replace your drivers.

Can't promise it will work for everybody but it did for me.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:01 PM
  • I was able to solve that problem by writing a quick VB program to access the new Windows API and dump the data to a com port. To complete the magic I found free null modem software that I connected to my VB programs com port and Streets GSP com port...Works great.

KZ

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Hi Ken,

is it possible to get your software to use on my Win8-tablet?

Regards

Stefan

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Stefan, if Ken is unable to provide you with his software, then you could try this as an inexpensive alternative:

http://www.centrafuse.com/us/centrafuse-localizer

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Hello Ken,

Would you please give us your VB code to read datas from the Broadcom GNSS Geolocation devices and/or dump it to com port ?

It would be very usefull for everyone.

Sami

Friday, November 29, 2013 3:21 PM