Windows 7 compatibility

Question

• I'm considering downloading Windows 7 tomorrow.  I'm a big fan of OneCare.  (Especially the way it integrates.)  Support for this program will be essential to whether I switch.  Does anyone know whether Onecare is compatible with Windows 7 beta? 
    Friday, January 09, 2009 12:14 AM

Answers

• Tried it on the x86 and x64 versions and it doesn't work, hopefully an update will be made available soon.

I'll post back here m8 once it's working.
    • Marked as answer by MoonHowler Friday, January 09, 2009 2:15 AM
    Friday, January 09, 2009 12:30 AM

All replies

• Tried it on the x86 and x64 versions and it doesn't work, hopefully an update will be made available soon.

I'll post back here m8 once it's working.
    • Marked as answer by MoonHowler Friday, January 09, 2009 2:15 AM
    Friday, January 09, 2009 12:30 AM
  • OneCare will not be updated to work on Windows 7.
    You may want to look at this post: Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08
    Morro will be available by the time Windows 7 is released, based on the announcement and the rumored dates for Windows 7 release.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 09, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I seriously don't know what it is about Microsoft.  Apparently you have an aversion to making money and retaining customer loyalty.  After recent hard drive issues amongst many, I was forced back to WindowsXP 64bit, only to find that OneCare didn't support it, only Vista 64bit.  Now I'm trying out Windows 7 beta only to find that OneCare doesn't support that either, yet three other companies do.   What exactly is your problem??????  I'm guessing Windows Live Writer doesn't work on this either, which is essential for posting to my blog because of the special formatting I use.  So now, I have to decide as to whether I'm going to keep trying Windows 7 or go back to Vista (which is slower than molasses) just to use these two software applications made by Microsoft.  Do you people even talk to each other or are just like the CIA and FBI, you all have you're own agenda and don't share intel.  We saw the consequences of that in 2001.  At this point, my loyalty is rapidly waning.  You really need to get your act together.  I'm not waiting until Windows 7 is officially released.  If I leave now, I'll NEVER be back.   
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Windows Live OneCare was never designed to support XP 64 bit as that operating system was a niche OS based on Windows Server R2 code. It is *very* different from XP 32 bit. OneCare at initial release only supported XP 32 bit.
    The reason that OneCare doesn't support Windows 7 is because OneCare is being retired and will be replaced with a new, free antimalware product that is slated to be available before Windows 7 is released. I have no other details on Morro, which is the free product that will be released.

Windows Live Writer, part of Essentials for Windows Live are indeed supported on Windows 7 Beta. Note that Windows 7 may be a very stable OS, but it *is* a beta and should not be used on your main production machine unless you are willing to accept the risk that you will need to format and reinstall everything.

-steve
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:43 AM
  •  I know what little to know there is about morro, but it's not available yet, and probably won't be for several months. Considering Windows 7 is being released as a public beta, they could atleast make OneCare an option for the time being.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:57 PM
  • simontotney said:

I know what little to know there is about morro, but it's not available yet, and probably won't be for several months. Considering Windows 7 is being released as a public beta, they could atleast make OneCare an option for the time being.

Why? Making OneCare work on Windows 7 would mean updating OneCare. The decision was made to no longer update the code for OneCare, just the definitions and signatures moving forward. Since Windows 7 is a beta, you have other options for protection that are available to try before Morro is made available.
    -steve
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:17 PM
  • There is no free antivirus software for Windows 7, at most there is a 90 day trial for kaspersky, people are hardly going to buy AV software to use on a beta OS are they, especially when they have already paid for OneCare.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:57 PM
  • simontotney said:

There is no free antivirus software for Windows 7, at most there is a 90 day trial for kaspersky, people are hardly going to buy AV software to use on a beta OS are they, especially when they have already paid for OneCare.

www.avast.com for a free copy of Avast home edition that installs to both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7.

I understand the concern. I have installed Windows 7 on a test box and am currently running it with no antivirus. I *wish* that OneCare was updated to run on Windows 7 and wish that OneCare development was not stopped. The reality is that OneCare will continue to work and provide protection of the currently supported operating systems only.
    Moreover, Windows 7 is a beta. If you choose to run a beta OS, unfortunately, you'll need to seek alternatives until Morro is made available at least in beta. And if you have no other computers using your OneCare susbcription through its end, you are walking away from the OneCare subscription - though it will remain active should you choose to go back to Vista or XP or put it on another PC.

-steve
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:15 PM
  • This answers my question.  I'm to disappointed that one care wasn't updated into a viable option for those of us who are one care and microsoft people.  Does seem a  little strange.  Perhaps it's just that one care is a seperate entity from microsoft persay.  I'm trying the big K and will go from there.  Lady J
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I don't know, this is so wierd...I get a message saying that OneCare has stopped working (which I've seen before) and that I need to reboot. after doing so, it happened again...However, when I open the nifty Action Panel, under antivirus and spyware, it says OneCare is running and running correctly with no problems.

You guys are saying it doesn't work...but how is it inherently working in the Action Panel? is Morro already imbedded in here? if Action Panel says you are safe using windows firewall, and onecare for the others, should it all work out??

or recommend uninstalling one-care and just seeing what happens?...
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:57 PM
  • ToKeN2k6 said:

I don't know, this is so wierd...I get a message saying that OneCare has stopped working (which I've seen before) and that I need to reboot. after doing so, it happened again...However, when I open the nifty Action Panel, under antivirus and spyware, it says OneCare is running and running correctly with no problems.

You guys are saying it doesn't work...but how is it inherently working in the Action Panel? is Morro already imbedded in here? if Action Panel says you are safe using windows firewall, and onecare for the others, should it all work out??

or recommend uninstalling one-care and just seeing what happens?...

Yes, OneCare will not work in Windows 7. parts of OneCare are running, which is why the Action Center thinks all is well, but you'll find that OneCare overall is broken and is not working. Remove it and use a different program while testing Windows 7.
    -steve

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:19 PM
  • sp what is the recommended antivirus for windows 7 then i'm testing it out just now and in overall imprest so far but one care was by far the best anieviris i have had to date so what should i use when testing windows 7

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Alan nWo said:

sp what is the recommended antivirus for windows 7 then i'm testing it out just now and in overall imprest so far but one care was by far the best anieviris i have had to date so what should i use when testing windows 7

I'm running one copy without any antivirus at the moment and another PC that sees more web browsing usage is protected by AVG. There are links within the Action Center on Windows 7 to a few trial offers. I believe that the free Avast home version runs under Windows 7 - www.avast.com - I have not tried it yet. I find AVG to consume excessive CPU when it is running a scan, but in normal resident usage it works well. It is only a 30 day trial from AVG.

-steve

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:46 PM
  • i know this is the wrong thread but i need help with the media player on windows 7 i cant work out how to add files to the libary i have added folders to the personal libary and to the monitored folders on the media player but it say there is nothing in the libary and that it is searching of media in the background but thats been a whole day now and there is still nothing there any idear whats wrong

• Proposed as answer by Gene Paul Monday, March 23, 2009 9:02 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Alan nWo said:

i know this is the wrong thread but i need help with the media player on windows 7 i cant work out how to add files to the libary i have added folders to the personal libary and to the monitored folders on the media player but it say there is nothing in the libary and that it is searching of media in the background but thats been a whole day now and there is still nothing there any idear whats wrong

Per the Windows 7 Microsoft site, try here for help:

http://qna.live.com/Search.aspx?tag=windows+7

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:
    I'm running one copy without any antivirus at the moment and another PC that sees more web browsing usage is protected by AVG. There are links within the Action Center on Windows 7 to a few trial offers.

It appears that the basic problem is the version check in vnss.exe.  Everything else starts and runs.  (I had OneCare on the Vista system that I upgraded to Windows 7).  There are rumors that everything works once that is handled.

The big problem with having it not working is not only am I unprotected but my Windows Home Server configuration considers the entire network to be exposed and I have red indicators everywhere.

Since I want to use the WHS for my frequent backups (and it has the Vista backup that I will restore from if necessary), I am disappointed that I need to cripple OneCare and install another Virus Protection. 

I will, nevertheless, soldier on ..

http://orcmid.com/blog
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:39 PM
  • You have two choices:
    1. Uninstall OneCare from the Windows 7 machine and install another product.
    2. Uninstall OneCare from the Windows 7 machine and go unprotected (not recommended)

If you choose to try the unsupported and not recommended process of setting the various OneCare program files to run in Vista compatibility mode, that would be a 3rd choice.

In any event, you can open the Windows Home Server console and tell it to ignore the condition on the Windows 7 machine that is at risk. Click on the Network Health icon in the console toolbar and place a check mark on "ignore this issue" and the WHS tray icon will go back to green on all PCs connected to that server.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Kinda makes a joke of the assertion that if it works on Vista it will work in Win7...
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:58 PM
  • mkent_barbados said:

Kinda makes a joke of the assertion that if it works on Vista it will work in Win7...

That statement is true for most software *except* security software. Security software operates at a much lower level than most other software in that it needs to have the ability to monitor and intercept calls to the OS and hardware. While OneCare would probably be made to work on Vista quite easily, it probably won't.

-steve
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:04 PM
  • So do we know if all OneCare functionality will be supported under Morro? Specifically photo backup (and of course restore)? My wife backs up all 16,500 photos to OneCare in addition to local backup as she wanted an offsite store - it will be a major pain in the ____ if that functionality goes away.

thx
    Monday, May 11, 2009 12:50 PM
  • So do we know if all OneCare functionality will be supported under Morro? Specifically photo backup (and of course restore)? My wife backs up all 16,500 photos to OneCare in addition to local backup as she wanted an offsite store - it will be a major pain in the ____ if that functionality goes away.

thx

I have not yet seen Morro, but I am quite certain that Photo Backup will be going away along with the rest of OneCare. The only thing that Morro brings to the table is antivirus/antispyware. Since it will be using the same engine and signatures as OneCare/ForeFront/Defender, my expectation is that running Morro will be like using Defender with a simple antivirus solution contained in one interface and using one engine.

For the photos, it isn't an automated solution, but you can upload them to Windows Live Skydrive - http://photos.live.com for free. You can choose to make them private, so that you are essentially using the cloud to store the photos. There isn't a Sync solution, but one can hope that we'll see something for that in the future using SkyDrive as the back end host. Today, Live Mesh is a sync solution that hosts files in the "cloud," but storage space is limited and it is a beta, so I wouldn't entrust critical data to it.
    -steve
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:37 PM