none
A reminder in 12 months?

Question

• Hi everyone,

I am running 4.0 and would like to know if it is possible to set up a reminder to alert the team that it has been 12months since a membership form was sined and that a company needs to be chased up for renewal. I am aware that this is very similar to the "Happy Birthday" messages that can be sent (http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/01/08/part-1-happy-birthday-via-workflow-using-client-side-scripting.aspx), but i was wondering if this was the best way to solve this problem.

The issue, as i see it, when i enter a date, i trigger a wrokflow that then checks regularly if today is equal to 12minths after the date was set. This is then 12months of useless checking. does this not clog up the system? i deally i would prefer the system, once every day, to check through the workflows to see if there are any days that should trigger an action. is this possible?

we are only a small business with about 600accounts. we run a small business server and dont think we have access to .NET.

any help or suggestions would be great.

Chris
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

The simplest way is to connect to the database directly and retrieve all outstanding records. You can query the respective filteredview table through tSQL statements with no need for recurring workflow. I typically use a windows service to query records on a daily basis. Sending an email is also fairly standard through the SDK.

I've just done something very similar for alerting members of an accouting team when a contract is about to expire. This can be a custom email or using an existing template. Drop me an email if you would like more info.

Cheers,

Karlo

Karlo Swart - http://www.ver206.com
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"The happy birthday" is one alternative using the wait condition.

1. List View
    I would have created a custom view; listing Companies for "follow up this week". Then it's rather easy to change business rules as things develop; compared with using the Work Flow aproach (not saying it's wrong). You can even set-up an RSS feed (using the accellerator); to make them even more available.

2.  Publish Report
    A third alternative could be in addition to the description above, also create a report with the report designer, then set it up to be publihed every monday with companies that are due for follow up. (from reporting server; subscription).

Morten

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Hi Morten,

i considered these options, but was hoping to find an automated method of producing/emailing out the results.

Chris
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Hi Chris,

The simplest way is to connect to the database directly and retrieve all outstanding records. You can query the respective filteredview table through tSQL statements with no need for recurring workflow. I typically use a windows service to query records on a daily basis. Sending an email is also fairly standard through the SDK.

I've just done something very similar for alerting members of an accouting team when a contract is about to expire. This can be a custom email or using an existing template. Drop me an email if you would like more info.

Cheers,

Karlo

Karlo Swart - http://www.ver206.com
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:13 AM