none
Remote desktop

Question

• I have been reading some of the posts and it says  you are not supposed to use remote desktop to access your serve.  I was just wondering why this is?  Just curious.

Thanks

John

Friday, September 28, 2007 12:43 AM

Answers

•  john1970 wrote:

I have been reading some of the posts and it says  you are not supposed to use remote desktop to access your serve.  I was just wondering why this is?  Just curious.

Thanks

John

Because some of the features of WS2K3 (the underlying OS) can and most likely will break WHS if activated/used/etc.  Besides, unless you're doing some out-of-the-normal stuff with it, you don't need to log in to the desktop (all of the necessary functions are available through the console).

Friday, September 28, 2007 12:46 AM
  • There is really no reason to access the server by RDP for the most part. Just about anything you need to do can be done through the WHS console. There are a lot of things you can do by remote desktop that will break WHS, as some of the features and settings available in server 2003 can really mess you up, and should not be used.

Friday, September 28, 2007 12:47 AM

All replies

•  john1970 wrote:

I have been reading some of the posts and it says  you are not supposed to use remote desktop to access your serve.  I was just wondering why this is?  Just curious.

Thanks

John

Because some of the features of WS2K3 (the underlying OS) can and most likely will break WHS if activated/used/etc.  Besides, unless you're doing some out-of-the-normal stuff with it, you don't need to log in to the desktop (all of the necessary functions are available through the console).

Friday, September 28, 2007 12:46 AM
  • There is really no reason to access the server by RDP for the most part. Just about anything you need to do can be done through the WHS console. There are a lot of things you can do by remote desktop that will break WHS, as some of the features and settings available in server 2003 can really mess you up, and should not be used.

Friday, September 28, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Just as a point of reference, the only time I have used Remote Desktop for anything other than investigating how something works is when I install Firefly and Readerware on my server after a software upgrade. That's 6 installations since mid-February. Every other use (and I probably connect almost daily) has been to look under the hood, which is something that a user of WHS (as opposed to an enthusiast) will likely never want to do.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 2:53 AM