none
Unkown Error. Access is Denied (HRESULT 0x80070005)

Question

•  

Love this tool - its been working beautifully but now I am getting this error when trying to CONTRIBUTE my 300Mb documents folder across two newish Vista Home Premium PCs on a clean wireless 802.11g link.

It seems that I cannot get it to replicate the new files and folders on the left into the folder tree on the left. I am trying to merge two home PC document labryinths. The left to right sync went fine. Paths are less than 256 chars.

The left folder is the remote PC, the right folder is my local PC. Logged in as same user with same password across both PCs and both have administrator rights.

Have had problem on SyncToy 2.0 beta and on the RTM build.

Am I missing something basic here? I don't have any specific permission set anywhere but remote folder is shared. No doubt a permissions issue but I just can't work it out - is there something you need to set on remote PC? Does it need Sync Toy installed?

Puzzled...

Friday, September 05, 2008 5:29 AM

Answers

• I have implemented a workaround whereby I have granted modify rights to the "Everyone" security group on the share that I am synching with. The UAC settings are the same (on) for both PCs.

Vista doesn't seem to recognise the same user ID on a second PC. Synch toy logsin OK but the rights it picks up are from the Everyone group rather than the name of the user on the home PC that is running Synchtoy.

Anyway - I have my synching working nicely now but am perplexed as to why Vista user ids don't match up across a Home Premium workgroup as documented. Thats a post for another forum.

Thanks for your help Deepa.

Andrew

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi -

I am confused by the statement below - Contribute will work in only one direction - from left to right.

"It seems that I cannot get it to replicate the new files and folders on the left into the folder tree on the left. I am trying to merge two home PC document labryinths. The left to right sync went fine. Paths are less than 256 chars."

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:29 PM
  • My mistake - the pair are set to synchronise. I've narrowed it down further and it looks like a Vista rights problem but I just can't work it out. The problem is creating files/folders on the PC when sync toy runs on my laptop. When I run sync toy on my PC it successfully creates files on the laptop (i.e the problem is only in one direction). Both machines are Vista Home Premium SP1 fully updated, NTFS disks. The PC event log shows a succesful login by the sync toy process. Sync toy reports a fail on overwrites, creates, deletes as originally reported. The problem occurs also if I swap the left & right folders in sync toy so there's no clue there.

Both machines have same windows firewall settings allowing file & printer sharing and all network properties are the same after going through full side by side comparison. Private network, Static IP addresses have been allocated.

The problem occurs if the folder is shared or not shared - and the problem occurs for any folder. Have done a full scandisk and problem occurs still. The user id is the owner of both disks.

I'll have to run it from the other PC but I am baffled as to why two near-identical systems in operating system config are getting different results.

Any dumb suggestions or thoughts welcomed!

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:10 AM
  • Another day pursuing this issue and no resolution yet.

When SyncToy connects to the other computer in the pair, which user id does it use? I have set up user ids the same on the home network but on Vista Home Premium you can't set up user ids from other computers, When I look at security the rights they show as \\PC\User1 but I can't define the PC part of the name - I can only create a user called User1.

Does Sync Toy require files or folders to be shared in any way? Does it access files through the share path? This would help me pinpoint why I am getting a permission related error.

Thanks 

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:10 AM
  • SyncToy does access files through the share path. There is no specific user id that we use - we expect the user to have shared the folder on the remote box and as long as you specify the path as either a \\computername\<folderpath> or as a drive letter ( using net use ), we run SyncToy under the same credentials as the user who is logged in.

Are your UAC settings the same on both the boxes?

Thanks
    Deepa

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:17 PM
  • I have implemented a workaround whereby I have granted modify rights to the "Everyone" security group on the share that I am synching with. The UAC settings are the same (on) for both PCs.

Vista doesn't seem to recognise the same user ID on a second PC. Synch toy logsin OK but the rights it picks up are from the Everyone group rather than the name of the user on the home PC that is running Synchtoy.

Anyway - I have my synching working nicely now but am perplexed as to why Vista user ids don't match up across a Home Premium workgroup as documented. Thats a post for another forum.

Thanks for your help Deepa.

Andrew

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Hey Housie,

Getting same error message but with my laptop (XP Pro) and desktop (XP Home).  Can you explain your work around a bit more, as I can't seem to follow.  I'm the sole user of both laptop and desktop and have no defined UAC settings per se.

Thanks!
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:54 PM
  • I am on Vista and the default security model is different to XP.

I didn't see any difference wether or not Vista UAC was on or off so rule that out. The default Owner on my PC (where I had the security problem) was the default one from when Vista was first setup (Trusted Installer). I couldn't make sense of the Vista security model (your not supposed to was my conclusion...stay out of it) so I took full ownership of everything under the default entry level security group Everyone. Not good for security but it resolved my initial problem.

After more digging around the web I have concluded that my security model was impacted by the upgrade from Vista to Vista SP1. I repaired registry security rights and eventually returned ownership back to an adminsistrator-level user ID (my interactive one) as opposed to the hidden Vista Administrator account after verifying that all rights were applied.

Problem has not re-appeared. Looks like it was a Vista-specific issue to do with rights getting corrupted somewhere on the disk as part of the SP1 upgrade.

Sync Toy completely absolved and it continues to be a fantastic tool.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:06 PM