Hibernation (re-visited)

Question

• I have been doing further tests with Hibernation. I am testing in a VM using VMWare Workstation 7.1 using Independent persistent disks (changes are immediately and permanently written to the disk).

I can turn hibernation on via the commandline using 'powercfg -H on '. having done this I can see that there is a hiberfil.sys file on the C Drive. So far so good :-)

I then issue a 'shutdown -h ' command and Vail then hibernates. I restart the VM and get the message 'Resuming Windows ...'. On completion of the restart, I can log on and the hiberfil.sys file is still present (I would expect it to be).

I now do a normal shutdown (from the start menu) and the VM successfully ends. I then restart the VM and log on.

However, the hiberfil.sys file has now disappeared and if I try a 'Shutdown -h ' from the commandline, I get the message: "Hibernation is not enabled on this system. You must enable hibernation in order to use the -h option. " :-|

So my question is - shouldn't Vail "remember" the powercfg setting across a re-boot or is there another option I have to set. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and got it to work OK?

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:23 AM

All replies

• Are you sure you're using the correct options and syntax for powercfg? See this KB article.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 04, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Are you sure you're using the correct options and syntax for powercfg? See this KB article .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Pretty sure ;-)

This below is from typing in 'powercfg /?' from a commandline prompt in Vail:

-HIBERNATE, -H
                Enables-Disables the hibernate feature.  Hibernate timeout is not
                supported on all systems.

Usage: POWERCFG -H <ON|OFF>
                       POWERCFG -H -Size <PercentSize>
                -Size  Specifies the desired hiberfile size in percentage of the
                       total memory. The default size cannot be smaller than 50.
                       This switch will also enable the hiberfile automatically.

Friday, June 04, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Not that I know off / did not try...

I supose you did test with a "clean" server install?
    In other words: no other 3th-party programs, tooling, browser addons that could "fix" the power config?

Did yoy check the event list for any power related warnings/errors?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, June 04, 2010 10:50 PM