Power Pack 1 RTM is now available!

General discussion

• See the Windows Home Server team blog post for details.

Note that HP has recommended that owners of HP MediaSmart Servers not install Power Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center. They will be integrating it with an update to their server, and will include additional capabilities as part of the package.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• Ken, got a link to where HP says don't download? The team blog post says nothing like that, and HP sent me a notification that their 1.3 software was available for auto download now.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Not so important any more. See We Got Served.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 6:32 PM
  • I have an HP MediaSmart.

I attempted to update WHS (MS) within the settings General tab. Said there was no update available. That's cool, should be available soon.

Then I went to the MediaSmart console tab and clicked Check for Updates. Well, that kicked off a lengthly download and install. Now pending are Add-Ins PVConnect and McAfee.

But it doesn't look as though the WHS (MS) has been updated. I still see these as my versions in the Resources window:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

Anybody know what's up? How do I - will I - know when I have PP1?

Thanks.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 8:50 PM
  • OK. So I figure PP1 was really NOT part of the HP Update

Downloaded PP1, copied it to the Software share, go to execute and get

Windows cannot find it or you don't have permissions.

Huh? I'm logged into my server as Admin. What gives?

Thanks for help.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 9:28 PM
  • HP will not be delivering Power Pack 1.  You can only get PP1 from the Microsoft Download Center now through a manual update, or wait for Windows Update at a later time.

According to the Microsoft download site:

Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 will be automatically downloaded to Windows Home Servers through Windows Update if Automatic Updates is enabled on your home server or you choose “Update Now…” from the Settings tab of your Windows Home Server Console. If you want to install Power Pack 1 before it is available on Windows Update, you can download this update package and then manually apply it.

For more information on Power Pack 1 and the HP MediaSmart Update, see http://www.mediasmarthome.com/.  There are several good articles and discussion threads on both topics.

The link to the Microsoft download site for PP1 is:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1A6AEF46-DB57-401F-814F-6EFA26E7A1E8&displaylang=en

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  Vee Bee wrote:
    OK. So I figure PP1 was really NOT part of the HP Update

Thanks for help.

Try copying the file to the server desktop and running it from there.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:57 AM
  • I have the same issue and tried coping it to the desktop also,  Did anyone happen to figure anything out?

THanks

Dan

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:38 AM
  • So I downloaded the update from HP that includes McAfee and the media streaming thingy. Does that mean that PP1 was installed? How can I find out whether I have PP1? Where do I check the version of software installed? I ask because one of the visible things i was suppose to get with PP1 was the ability to see picture thumbnails when remotely looking at photos in the shared photos folder. I don't. Does than mean then that PP1 didn't install?

----

Oh for goodness sakes. So evidently I didn't get PP1. So, I tried it manually following the instructions. I get an error saying the version of Windows Home server is not eligible for the update I am trying to install. Huh?

Big thumbs down to HP and Microsoft for not coordinating messaging appropriately. For cryin' out loud, did you have to release two separate updates on the same flippin day?

God only know what I've done and what will happen to my server now that I've installed the HP update but not the PP1 update. Thank Jesus I didn't install the two HP add-ins. I'm sure they're ***.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:15 AM
  • I bought an HP MediaSmart Server EX475 nearly 3 months ago and learned of the corruption but shortly thereafter.  I have been waiting for PP1 to take advantage of the features I've read about in this unit.  I was hoping that yesterday's update from HP would include it.  From what I am reading it did not.

I am glad that I bought it from Costco.com because I think I will be returning it today since my warranty period is ticking away.  I will keep an eye on the forums and when HP includes PP1 in an update I will buy another.  Or, I might just resurrect an old computer and build my own system that I can have full control over.

AH! - I just got off the phone with HP.  They have August 12 as the date that PP1 will be included in their automatic update.  The tech did not see them extending my warranty one year beyond that date.  It gets returned today and I will consider buying a new one next month after I verify that they have released PP1.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Feel free to download Power Pack 1 RTM from the Microsoft Download Center, then after installing it, you can install HP's updates. Or you can wait for Automatic Updates to download it for you in August. It's typical for software to be on the Microsoft Download Center weeks before it's on Automatic Updates.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:54 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Vee Bee wrote:
    OK. So I figure PP1 was really NOT part of the HP Update

Thanks for help.

Try copying the file to the server desktop and running it from there.

Thanks!  That worked.

Now I have a new problem... I purchased my own domain and a cert for it. After the update, I'm getting a "Secure Connection Failed" error saying that my domain uses an invalid security certificate. That's not good. Got a quick fix? Easy as just re-applying the cert? All this cert stuff was new to me six months ago. Now I have to relearn what I went through.

Thanks for any help.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:42 PM
  •  Vee Bee wrote:

After the update, I'm getting a "Secure Connection Failed" error saying that my domain uses an invalid security certificate.

Well....  I refreshed the same cert. I'm good. Anybody have this problem, just refresh your certificate.

All is right with the world. Great job everybody!
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:22 PM
  • So I have the BETA PP1 installed now and running beautifully.  My question is: Do I need to uninstall this or can I simply wait for Windows Update to install the RTM version?  I know the manual said to uininstall if I am going to upgrade manually, but I am wondering if I can wait to August for Auto Update and be lazy.

Also, I would like to confirm that uninstalling PP1 Beta won't put my data at risk of corruption in any way?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:42 PM
  • You must uninstall the beta for the RTM package to install. Whether you wait for Windows Updates in August or not. Uninstalling Power Pack 1 beta will put data you edit on your server at risk until you install PP1 RTM.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:52 AM
  • I experienced the exact same thing and I have the HP MediaSmart server.  I then went to Windows Download and downloaded PP1 and installed it.  You will have to copy it to your Windows Server desktop and "unblock" though.  That's according to the WHS team.  It worked fine.  Now you can install McAfee and PV Connect.

It would be nice if HP would show some leadersip and get involved in this process!

Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Go to the Home Server Console, Settings and then Resources.  At the top of the Resources box it will state if PP1 is installed.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:44 PM