Unable to activate Windows XP

Question

• Hi,

I have had some problems with Windows XP so I swapped hard-disks and tried to install from scratch. To cut a long story short it didn't work so I swapped hard-disks back. Now when I boot up I am prompted to activate Windows XP which I then try to do. There is then a msg on the website saying that I don't have a valid copy and should buy one. The product activated fine originally but I am not sure :

a) How to activate it again as it is on the same machine, same hard-disk and there is only one install of it.

b) Why it is not letting me activate it over the web.

I have tried the WGA Diagnostic tool and it shows that my validation status is "Not Activated". Is anyone able to help ?

Thanks - Alec

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:01 PM

Answers

• Alec:

You'll have to do phone activation, as changing the hardware configuration will often cause the machine to need to be reactivated through Product Activation (see www.howtotell.com).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890  

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:07 PM

All replies

• Output from Diag tool is below:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: 3X95GS7
    ID: 3512f265-aedf-4a7d-9c94-7f432cbb0491
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    Cache refresh Interval: 366 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.532.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>3512f265-aedf-4a7d-9c94-7f432cbb0491</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3R2BW</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00103</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1270689400-1194005503-2939561921</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>eMachines, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Imperial</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix</Manufacturer><Version>6.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20020826******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>EMACHINES</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>2CFE35E70184205E</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:04 PM
  • AlecShort,

The reason, your Windows says "not activated" is most likely due to a windows license data file C:\windows\system32\WPA.DBL is ready only on your computer.  Please make sure this file is writable.

1. Goto your windows system directory (for example C:\windows\system32)

2. Look for a file WPA.DBL

3.  Right mouse click on the file name then in the pop-up menu, select "Properties" and then un-check "Ready only" checkbox and hit "Apply" button.  

4. Then visit URL http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate.aspx to validate your system again.

Please do let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Sireesha

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:12 AM
  • AlecShort,

If the above steps doesn't work also try these steps:

Option 1:  Connect to the internet if you are not already connected.  Then, please click thru Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.  It should only take a few moments to complete activation.

Option 2:  In some cases the above menu entry is not present.  In that case, still being connected to the internet, please click Start>Run, then type oobe/msoobe /a into the Run text entry box, then click OK.  It should only take a few moments to complete activation.

Please let us know if it works for you.

Thanks,
    Satish

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:33 AM
  • Hi Satish,

thanks for getting back to me. The file was not read-only unfortunately. When I startup and try to logon to Windows I get the msg:

"A problem has prevented Windows from accurately checking the status of the licence for this computer. To proceed your copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft. Do you want to activate Windows now?" I click on Yes and then...I get logged off. Any thoughts as I cannot even signon to Windows ?

Thanks  - Alec

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:42 PM
  • AlecShort,

I have to ask, just to verify, your WPA.DBL is NOT read only? You do NOT want this file read only. You want it writeable.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:56 PM
  • Yes it is NOT read-only. Having looked back at my post the Windows key does not match the one on the back of the computer. How do I go about changing this if I am only able to logon with a command prompt ?

Regards.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:58 PM
  • Hi alec,

How did you get into this stage? Could you explain the scenario?

Thanks,
    Satish

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:00 PM
  • As per my original post. I was trying to do a clean install on another hard-disk before wiping my existing install. I swapp my hard-disks around and started the install on the new harddisk. This wasn't successful so I backed out and swapped my harddisks back. This is when the probs started.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:04 PM
  • Alec:

You'll have to do phone activation, as changing the hardware configuration will often cause the machine to need to be reactivated through Product Activation (see www.howtotell.com).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890  

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:07 PM
  • I have had the same Problem, as stated by Sireesha MSFT it needs to be writable, how i got around it was goto C:\windows\system32\WPA.DBL

Make a backup copy of WPA.DBL in a new folder or somewhere. delete the one in C:\windows\system32\WPA.DBL . I then went on Start and tried windows activation, it crashed once (windows activation not the PC!) so i re-opened it and it worked fine after that initial crash. i think it was just getting used to the file and realising it was different!

Hope this Helps

Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Please don't resurrect 4 year old threads.

Darin MS
    Friday, May 14, 2010 10:39 PM
    Owner