none
IP Camera Recording

Question

• I was wondering if anyone had already seen or thought about WHS used as a recorder for IP cameras. I have 4 IP Cameras (RJ45) at home and I'd like the serveur to atleast record the cameras. The cameras have a built-in web serveur so the hosting is not important but I'd like to record the 4 cams into avi or mpg files on the server.

Is there a built-in capability of WHS or do you know how I could do that?

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:30 AM

Answers

• I've setup a USB camera that recorded our lab for awhile as a test (Todd's idea).  Which worked really well actually.  We wanted a way to fill space up and use the 6TB's of storage we had on one of our Windows Home Server's.  Basically, we just redirected the storage location to \\server\<shared-folder>.  The camera didn't steal that much bandwidth and we slowly filled our storage.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:27 PM

All replies

• I've setup a USB camera that recorded our lab for awhile as a test (Todd's idea).  Which worked really well actually.  We wanted a way to fill space up and use the 6TB's of storage we had on one of our Windows Home Server's.  Basically, we just redirected the storage location to \\server\<shared-folder>.  The camera didn't steal that much bandwidth and we slowly filled our storage.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:27 PM
  • Hey Dumbcat-

Just curios: where did you get your cameras from? I'm thinking of setting one up at home and was wondering where to look.

Also, didn't it come with some software for capturing and recording the feeds? If so I presume you can just point it to the shares?

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I test ran WebcamXP on RC1 with an old Intel camera. Worked good and uploaded to my ftp account and posted on my web page well. I also had it record to the server for review later.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:51 PM
  • I use a couple of Dlink DCS-2120's (i think that's the number) - much more configurabel than just a webcam. Wireless connectivity from both so I have one hooked up looking at my front door and another INSIDE my garage in case the beggars get in - as they did - nice picture of the Chav was handed to police (it emails directly when it senses movement) ..they even knicked the camera but of course i got that back when they raided the stupid sods house :-)
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:39 AM
  •  

Has anyone tried the Vigil IP camera software from 3xlogic? I am interested in the finding out how well the recompression for megapixel IP cameras works. The file sizes I am seeing coming off the IP cameras are too big and poorly compressed and 3x claims to have a recompression feature that does not deteriorate the video.

Robert

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:57 AM
  • oh yeah .. www.3xlogic.com

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:58 AM
  •  rmarschall wrote:
    oh yeah .. www.3xlogic.com

Sorry, no info on that one. I've always used WebcamXP. I read the info for Vigil Client for Windows. It supports Windows 2000, XP and Vista.  If you already have a copy, just try it on WHS....
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:42 PM
  • I wonder if I can install Flash Media Server.  Then I can stream video onto the server from any client with the Flash Player installed and any webcam.  Video Chat would not be that far away either.  It would be a good applicatoin for home security and so on.

Sorry, I answered a question with a question.

-s
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Yep, you can install FMS. or Wowza. or Red 5. Wowza may be the most simple.

Ben
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:03 AM
  • I'd be interested in any good experiences with USB cameras on WHS. The only way I could get my Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro working was a specialized install of older drivers and none of the other Logitech software. Unforthunately the 100+ degree temps outside are not-so slowing killing if off. I've tried several other USB cams but none would install/work on WHS.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:25 AM