none
Moving Money 2007 from Windows XP to a new machine running Windows 7

Question

• What is the procedure for moving MS Money 2007 from a PC running XP to a new pc running Windows 7?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 12:15 AM

All replies

• Moving the data file is easy. Move it like any other file. Just make sure on the new machine you don't put it in the Program File folder tree. Put it somewhere in your personal Documents folder.

Move the app requires having the original installation CD and reinstalling the application.

If you don't have that, an upgrade to the free, unsupported, online disabled, Money Plus Sunset is probably in your future. If your data file is from Money07 for the US market.

Friday, August 13, 2010 12:42 AM
  • You can no longer install and use Money 2007 on a new machine because the required SP2 update has been removed from Microsoft's servers.  I have had mixed success installing on the new machine, copying/overwriting the files from the old machine to the new machine, and copying all the registry keys.  This keeps direct OFX online updates alive.  I have no idea how this will work going from XP to Windows 7, especially if you're moving to 64 bit (you would probably need to copy the keys to a new location under the WOW6432NODE branch).

There is some talk in another thread of Microsoft having a Money 2007 install disk with SP2 incorporated, but it has not been released anywhere I can find.  If anyone has had success getting this from Microsoft or anywhere else, I'd appreciate the info.  As it stands, Money will look for the update and fail as soon as you load your old data file.

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Dick,

I have my Money Premium 2007 original disk and am running on Vista. After 1/31/2011 if I purchase a new computer using Windows 7 can I continue using Money 2007 Premium? (see above comment about SP2) or will I have to use the Money Sunset version? Thanks,

Steve

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:42 AM
  • In theory, you can. I don't recall how many (if any) code updates were issued against M07, but if you have a running copy today you should be able to grab the MnyCoreFiles and re-use them This process has been described, with caveats for M05 users.

But perhaps a better question is why not just jump to M+ Sunset? The difference in functionality, look and feel, etc. between an expired, unsupported, M07 Premium and Sunset is puny and in Sunset's favor. A file upgrade to the M+ Sunset format is a very low risk operation. Small upside. Negligible downside.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:04 AM
  • I got it!!!  I went into the hidden folder options and made Windows 7 show hidden and OS files. the MNYCoreFiles are System files, so they don't show up. I installed from my disc. Then I copied the 3 folders of MNYCoreFiles that were on my original folder (computer died, have data). I renamed the folder that the CD created. It didn't work at that point, so I reinstalled it from the CD (without uninstalling first). It wanted to search for that update again, I exited and restarted, I think twice - clicked "cancel" when it offered to let me decline on the update and it worked! I know this wasn't a good tutorial, but I don't want to start over to document it better :-)

I also clicked "run as administrator" when I ran the program... don't know if that mattered or not, just covering all bases I could think of!

-g

Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:59 AM