none
FTP Server Software?

Question

• I would like my HP Media Server to serve as an FTP server. Is there recommended software for this application? If so, what is it and where can I get it?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:18 AM

Answers

• FTP software is included with WHS.

To install the FTP service (From WHS helpfiles) login to WHS using RDP or KVM, then:

1. From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. From the left pane, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    4. From the Components list, click Application Server, and then click Details.
    5. From the Subcomponents of Application Server list, click Internet Information Services (IIS), and then click Details.
    6. From the Subcomponents of Internet Information Services (IIS) list, select the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service check box.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Click Next. You might be prompted for the Windows Server 2003 family CD or the network install path.
    9. Click Finish.

NOTES:

a. At "8." you may need to point to X:\SVR_2003\i386 where X is DVD drive (or local copy of  i386 folder)

b. You have to allow the FTP SERVICE in the WHS firewall, open windows firewall settings, ADVANCED tab, Select Local Area Connection, Settings, Allow FTP server

c. Properly configure access rights to ftp folders in IIS and also set NTFS folder access rights accordingly

d. For security it's best to allow access from computers on local network (Directory security, unless you require remote FTP access; All computer access denied except, use add button to allow computers on your local subnet (enter ip-address / netmask) from DHCP server (router) for example 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0

e. Allow FTP in client firewall (port 21, unless you configured another port for FTP access in IIS)

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Alan, are you aware that you can upload files to your server through the Remote Access web site? There's no need for FTP.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 1:55 AM

All replies

• FTP software is included with WHS.

To install the FTP service (From WHS helpfiles) login to WHS using RDP or KVM, then:

5. From the Subcomponents of Application Server list, click Internet Information Services (IIS), and then click Details.
    6. From the Subcomponents of Internet Information Services (IIS) list, select the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service check box.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Click Next. You might be prompted for the Windows Server 2003 family CD or the network install path.
    9. Click Finish.

NOTES:

a. At "8." you may need to point to X:\SVR_2003\i386 where X is DVD drive (or local copy of  i386 folder)

b. You have to allow the FTP SERVICE in the WHS firewall, open windows firewall settings, ADVANCED tab, Select Local Area Connection, Settings, Allow FTP server

c. Properly configure access rights to ftp folders in IIS and also set NTFS folder access rights accordingly

d. For security it's best to allow access from computers on local network (Directory security, unless you require remote FTP access; All computer access denied except, use add button to allow computers on your local subnet (enter ip-address / netmask) from DHCP server (router) for example 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0

e. Allow FTP in client firewall (port 21, unless you configured another port for FTP access in IIS)

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Hey there Mike,

brubber's solution is no doubt what most people would use, as it's free  (i.e. already included with WHS).

I've never tried that built-in one before, but if it turns out that you don't like it or it doesn't meet your needs, I've been using Serv-U for at least a couple of years now, and on the same box that I have WHS installed for the past few months.  For each users' "home" directory, each of them are pointed to their respective share folder on my WHS.  I haven't had any problems whatsoever with this configuration.  Serv-U has a free (Personal) version too.

Just another option, in case the WHS' built-in one isn't what you're looking for.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:36 PM
  •  Mike942 wrote:
    I would like my HP Media Server to serve as an FTP server. Is there recommended software for this application? If so, what is it and where can I get it?

Another suggestrion, install in isolation mode and then create directories based off usernames.

Then go and make virtual directories for each user.

this will lock a user into their own respective directories and allow uploading to a perticulr loccation.

Also make sure the locations that they are uploading to are *not* in d:\shares to avoid corruption.

You can store the vd's in d:\somedir but *NOT* in d:\shares\somedir

I have set this up so my family can upload pictures to there own photo galleries and I am running IIS + Mysql + PHP

100000% unsupported and if it breaks it is nobodies fault but my owna dn my respobibilty.

I am IT professional so I am quite confident that I cna handle this.

Now execuse as I go knock on a big old piece of wood.....
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Isolation mode is a good suggestion. For some detailed instructions of implementing this please checkout http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/ftp2003/

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:07 AM
  •  JMM406 wrote:

Hey there Mike,

I've been using Serv-U for at least a couple of years now, and on the same box that I have WHS installed for the past few months.  For each users' "home" directory, each of them are pointed to their respective share folder on my WHS.  I haven't had any problems whatsoever with this configuration.  Serv-U has a free (Personal) version too.

Just another option, in case the WHS' built-in one isn't what you're looking for.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm new to this stuff. How do you install software on the HP MediaServer? Do you have to do a remote desktop into the server and install that way?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:50 AM
  • same question from me.  I'd like to see a basic walkthrough of a software install in WHS. 

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:58 AM
  •  Mike942 wrote:
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm new to this stuff. How do you install software on the HP MediaServer? Do you have to do a remote desktop into the server and install that way?
    Yes, with the excepition of WHS Add-ins. These can be installed using the WHS console.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  eaadams wrote:

same question from me.  I'd like to see a basic walkthrough of a software install in WHS. 

Basic rundown of software install is as follows:

Start | Programs | Accesories | Communications | Remote Desktop

Plug in the IP or Hostname of your server

Login as Administrator

You are now logged in as if you were looking at the monitor on your client machine.

You can now run setup.exe etc just like you would any other software.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:37 PM
  •  brubber wrote:

FTP software is included with WHS.

7. Click OK.
    9. Click Finish.

NOTES:

Thanks for the instructions: 

I want the FTP to make it easier for my wife to share some files for work as it is easier than going through all the screens to get to a shared folder for a visitor so I want this opened out to the web with a password.  This is really low volume occasional stuff, couple of times a month.

I poked a hole by opening FTP on the router and point to the WHS Box.

I created a Share called FTP and then pointed the IIS FTP to this as the home directory for FTP.

Works fine but one question I have is:

WHS asks for the password for every file and every directory click. 

Is this normal?

Is there a way of setting this up so that once the user enters a password once they have access to the directories and files without re-entering the password for every file? 

Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:58 PM
  •  I appreciate this discussion. I followed the directions to install ftp services. Seems to be fine up to 9c. I do not understand 9c or 9d. I have set my router to allow ftp to/from the whs (an hp model 470). My goal i this is to transfer some rather large files from outside my network onto the whs for use at home. I don't see (and maybe that's normal) any FTP "button" or icon in the whs console. In the whs control panel it shows the ftp services up and running. I am not sure how to point it to the ftp folder I created (which shows up) in the folder view.
    I would appreciate learning what to do next and how I would send myself files from the outside.
    Thanks for your help
    Alan
    Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Alan, are you aware that you can upload files to your server through the Remote Access web site? There's no need for FTP.
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 1:55 AM
  • Hello Ken,

Obviously I need to learn how to do this. I used to have a dynamic dns account (guess I still do!) which allowed me to literally ftp to my computer. I want to get that going again. I know one of the previous posters didn't like the fact it required a password everytime but I have no problem with that. Basically I am looking for an easy way for 1) me and 2)people I trust to be able to upload large files to me. I like the idea of having a 'separate' folder for the 3rd persons who can upload to me but not have access to the rest of my files.(I trust what they are sending, but what's on my server is not their business). I figured ftp would be the easiest way to do this but I am missing a step on how to get it (or another solution) working.
    I appreciate your response =.
    Alan

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Alan, FTP can be installed, but it is not a supported use of Windows Home Server. You should use the Remote Access web site instead. You can learn about the remote access features of WHS by reading the Remote Access technical brief.
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:45 AM
  • At the very least I would setup a Secure Shell [SSH] server and use SFTP versus using FTP which is natively very insecure. With SSH you can use a private/public key pair protected by a strong password for authentication. The best solution though, at least in my opinion, is to use the built-in remote file access via the SSL link as was noted by the others.

To add I have setup a special account on my WHS just for remote file access by other family members, ie. not me or my wife or my brother, to access certain shared files, ie. panorama and other large format digital photos, with read only access. They are limited to one folder on my WHS and have no access to Remote Desktop access to my PCs. I assign a strong password to that account. That works very well for me.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/WHS/Permissions.jpg
    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/WHS/NoRemotePCAccess.jpg

That's my $0.02 worth...

MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience, "When all else fails, read the instructions"
    • Edited by Al Jarvi Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:20 PM Add image links
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:59 AM
  • I'll note that Al's response is what I would do as well. I'm quite comfortable with all the concepts involved, however, and it requires more advanced knowledge than the average WHS user is likely to have. If a user is having trouble getting the FTP server that's available as part of IIS working, I really think the Remote Access web site will be a better solution.

Don't forget to uninstall the FTP server that's part of IIS...

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:13 PM
  • FileZilla Server is a great freeware one, if you don't want to use IIS. It is easy to setup and assign logins.
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Personally I would stay as far away from FTP on WHS as possible.  The RA site would be the best bet.
    As an ISP, FTP is the most hacked and hit service we have running on our servers.  The ware-z hackers run constant hits into any IP they find with an active FTP port.
    Unless you are using a non-standard port for your FTP, along with strong passwords and high security, you are going to lose a noticeable amount of bandwidth to the hackers and end up with massive log files on the server.
    It is not uncommon for our servers to show numerous-per-second attempted hack logons running continually for months.
    And if they do get in, they will use non-standard folder names that are a real pain to remove.  Because of this, for the past decade on all of our servers except one, we leave the FTP service off.

• Edited by MrDRGreen Tuesday, September 09, 2008 4:51 PM typo
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your input. I downloaded the Home Server Remote Access guide and plan to review it carefully. I assume I can set up a special folder/account for the 3rd party uploads. It appears this will solve my need to upload files from outside my network.
    Thank you
    alan
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Gentlemen: (at least I hope so)

This might seem silly, but I'm running an FTP Server called FileZilla on my Windows Home Server from HP. It has separate user accounts with their own folders, speeds, I.P. blocks, etc. It also has an "autoban" which can be triggered by a certain # of unsuccessful login attempts. It's also capable of SSL and SFTP. 

I looked at the FTP service installed as part of the IIS, and found it was very outdated, so I installed this program.

My question is has anyone tried to download and install the new FTP service that's meant for Windows Server 2008. It apparently has all the bells and whistles that the FTP service installed in WHS doesn't.

Thanks

Vic

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:57 AM
  • It won't install on Windows Server 2003.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:17 PM