none
Windows 7 OEM Key with Windows 7 Retail Software

Question

• As a follow-up to a previous issue where I got scammed with my Windows 7 Ultimate Retail package, I had asked if I could purchase an OEM Ultimate disk and use the key from that to legitimatize my Windows installation. Seems that even among the moderators here that there was some confusion. Worst case scenario was that the OEM key would not work and I'd have to wipe the drive and start from scratch.

Well, the OEM disk came in today, and the key validates just fine with the retail installation on the system. I'm fully aware that it was recommended to me to wipe the drive and start over with an authentic disk, but that just means hours of work that I'd rather avoid. In any case, I've run full scans of Avast, MalwareBytes, and OTL by Old Timer and come up with nothing that would indicate there might be something wrong with my copy of Windows.

Things look good, but I'll ask one last question: If the key works NOW, shouldn't that mean that it'll work 2 weeks from now, or 6 months from now, or 4 years from now? In other words, Microsoft isn't suddenly going to make a distinction between my OEM key and my retail installation somewhere down the road?

Thanks for your input.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:33 PM

Answers

• "EchoWars" wrote in message news:c8b8412c-0181-48da-8d98-8630b9fa2a91...

As a follow-up to a previous issue where I got scammed with my Windows 7 Ultimate Retail package, I had asked if I could purchase an OEM Ultimate disk and use the key from that to legitimatize my Windows installation. Seems that even among the moderators here that there was some confusion. Worst case scenario was that the OEM key would not work and I'd have to wipe the drive and start from scratch.

Well, the OEM disk came in today, and the key validates just fine with the retail installation on the system. I'm fully aware that it was recommended to me to wipe the drive and start over with an authentic disk, but that just means hours of work that I'd rather avoid. In any case, I've run full scans of Avast, MalwareBytes, and OTL by Old Timer and come up with nothing that would indicate there might be something wrong with my copy of Windows.

Things look good, but I'll ask one last question: If the key works NOW, shouldn't that mean that it'll work 2 weeks from now, or 6 months from now, or 4 years from now? In other words, Microsoft isn't suddenly going to make a distinction between my OEM key and my retail installation somewhere down the road?

Thanks for your input.

You should be good to go forever - always assuming that your new key is truly legit :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:35 PM

All replies

• "EchoWars" wrote in message news:c8b8412c-0181-48da-8d98-8630b9fa2a91...

As a follow-up to a previous issue where I got scammed with my Windows 7 Ultimate Retail package, I had asked if I could purchase an OEM Ultimate disk and use the key from that to legitimatize my Windows installation. Seems that even among the moderators here that there was some confusion. Worst case scenario was that the OEM key would not work and I'd have to wipe the drive and start from scratch.

Thanks for your input.

You should be good to go forever - always assuming that your new key is truly legit :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Hello EchoWars,

Please post a follow-up report:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Thanx!

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:50 AM
  • A Windows 7 installation DVD incorporates both retail and OEM license agreements.  If you use a genuine Windows 7 OEM product key, it will unlock the OEM license agreement.  If you use a genuine retail Windows 7 product key, it will unlock the retail license agreement.

More info:  What Microsoft won't tell you about Windows 7 licensing

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Dan...I'd like to, but I'm heading out for the airport in KC getting ready to fly to CA. I won't be back in KC till Oct. 21th. THIS version (the OEM version) was purchased from Newegg...no chance that it is bogus. I guess the hardest thing for the counterfeiters to do is the hologram near the center spindle hole...this one is inside the plastic as it is supposed to be instead of being a cheesy sticker. That, and someplace like Newegg has much too much to lose by dealing in iffy software. If you are interested in a last MGAdiag report, I'd happily post it once I'm back home in KC at the desktop system.

Carey...I did not know that. Thank you kindly for that tidbit, and the great link. Much appreciated.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:28 PM