can not boot the pc

General discussion

• I have a AMD athlon XP 3200+.

I was running the malwarebites antivirus, suddenly a blue window...dumping physical memory... I waited 20 minutes, got tired and force it off. When I restared 5 minutes later is said that the boot sysytem was not working that I need to insert  a system CD. Well, the windows xp home edition that my pc has was per-installed when I got it, therefore I have no windows xp disk. What can I do?

I have windows XP home edition SP3 and is an e-machine T3256, the ram was updated to 1024k.

The Phoenix - Bios setup utility says that the First boot device is the CD-rom, the second one is a removable drive ( I assume it sees at external 250GB ) and the third one is the Hard Disk.

I only have a restore dvd, but I can not afford to loose the data, so total restore is out of the question.

Thanks for the help.

I. G.
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:48 PM Off topic.
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:48 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Backup and Restore)
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• This forum is for the discussion of Windows Live One Care. I would try disconnecting the removable drive. If the system still won't boot you may find help here - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:53 PM