none
WIndows Home Server Service Pack 2 ??????

Question

• Finally got my copy of WHS today, (sorry US but UK is now shipping). Anyway I have found a screen that reports that the OS installed is:

Microsoft

Windows Home Server

Service Pack 2

Either I have been in a time slip or MS are issuing Service Packs really quickly these days. To check your version RDC on to your server and then do Properties for My Computer.

The other slightly interesting thing is that it shows the registered user as Windows Home Server User. During my install I was not offered the option of a name for this.

Anyway aside from these funnies it's running like a dream.

Friday, September 21, 2007 7:29 PM

Answers

• It is going to say Service Pack 2, because Home Server is based on Server 2003 SP2.

The Windows Home Server User thing is because when you start setup it creates an unattended install script and specifies Windows Home Server user as the Owner name.

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:55 PM

All replies

• I am still running RC and I have the same info under system properties/ my computer. I would guess that Service Pack 2 refers to Server 2003 that WHS is built on.

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:17 PM
  • It is going to say Service Pack 2, because Home Server is based on Server 2003 SP2.

The Windows Home Server User thing is because when you start setup it creates an unattended install script and specifies Windows Home Server user as the Owner name.

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Dancing Bear,

To check the version of WHS, open the WHS console, click settings, and on the left open the Resources Icon.

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:32 PM
  • I still love how when installing WHS, it lists the installation as being Small Business Server
    I know we all know its based on that technology, I just thought it was funny they never removed that screen for RTM!

Saturday, September 22, 2007 4:41 AM
  • The screen can't be changed.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:29 AM
  •  Tom Ziegmann wrote:
    The screen can't be changed.

I beg your pardon but YES it can.

CLICK HERE

There are many sites out there with tutorials to change EVERYTHING about a windows setup.  And yes again it can be done with 2003 server.

John
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:13 AM
  • John,

Im not sure Tom was talking about that screen, I know I wasnt in my post

I was talking about the blue system screen, similar to the old NT4.0 boot screen below:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5734/nt6bootscreenss4.png

Thats the boot install screen that still states SBS on the install of WHS.
    I dont necessarily agree that it cant be changed, Im sure if anyone can do it on a MS OS, then surely MS can.

But what do I know Smile

Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:28 AM
  • John,

I beg your pardon, but the screens that you are showing have been changed. The only remaining screen that says SBS on it can not be changed. It would require work from the Core OS team, and it would take a lot of time. Is it really a big deal for something that most people will never see?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:14 AM
  •  Tom Ziegmann wrote:

John,

I beg your pardon, but the screens that you are showing have been changed. The only remaining screen that says SBS on it can not be changed. It would require work from the Core OS team, and it would take a lot of time. Is it really a big deal for something that most people will never see?

Im a perfectionist (a curse it is I tell ya!), so Im definately the wrong person to ask Smile
    Of course, you wernt really asking me anyway!

Smile

Thanks again for your posts on here Tom, you have got me out of a few stickies!
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:53 AM
  •  

Since SBS 2003 is the core OS, and that is what set-up is installing at that point, it would seem that the appropriate screen is being displayed, IMHO.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Yes but its not really SBS 2003
    Its WHS Smile

I know what you are saying though

I just think it makes for a confusing install screen, but once again, I think thats just the perfectionist coming out in me.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:11 AM
  • mrees

I still love how when installing WHS, it lists the installation as being Small Business Server I know we all know its based on that technology, I just thought it was funny they never removed that screen for RTM!

Tom Ziegmann

The screen can't be changed.

mrees

I was talking about the blue system screen, similar to the old NT4.0 boot screen below:

To be quite honest I have not seen a blue screen like the NT4 OS during the install of WHS.  I have sat through the entire install and really don't recall seeing that particular screen.  Not that any of the screens matter as long as it's not a BSOD or ERROR!!!  mrees, What you stated above was the the installing/installation which is also/commonly referred to as the Billboard screen.  Aww what the He$$ it's sat. and as long as my screens aren't showing something with stupid for me to fix I 'll be a HAPPY CAMPER

John
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:34 AM
  •  5_ACES wrote:

To be quite honest I have not seen a blue screen like the NT4 OS during the install of WHS.  I have sat through the entire install and really don't recall seeing that particular screen. 

Look Closer next time Smile

Sunday, September 23, 2007 5:05 AM