none
OEM installation help.

Question

• My current RC1 installation uses a Silicon Image Sil3132 based SATA controller card.  The BIOS is base to allow use of a port multipler (PM).  I have two PMs with 10 drives, I had to install the drivers after completing the WHS setup.  Is there any way to upgrade to the OEM version of WHS without losing all the data in my current system?.  I do not recall that WHS natively recognized the controller cards.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:55 AM

All replies

•  Setho wrote:
    My current RC1 installation uses a Silicon Image Sil3132 based SATA controller card.  The BIOS is base to allow use of a port multipler (PM).  I have two PMs with 10 drives, I had to install the drivers after completing the WHS setup.  Is there any way to upgrade to the OEM version of WHS without losing all the data in my current system?.  I do not recall that WHS natively recognized the controller cards.

If it doesn't recognize the drivers on its own (and it probably won't), you will need to provide them during the Reinstallation process (using a floppy disk or a USB thumb drive).  You will need to add the drivers twice during the install (once during the initial GUI interface, then a second time after the first reboot by pressing F6 when prompted to do so to add drivers).

Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:25 AM
  • How do you go about adding the drivers the second time after a reboot by pressing F6 without the use of a floppy drive?  The only option I am given is to insert the disk into drive A: and I have no floppy drive.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:46 AM
  •  digitaltrader wrote:
    How do you go about adding the drivers the second time after a reboot by pressing F6 without the use of a floppy drive?  The only option I am given is to insert the disk into drive A: and I have no floppy drive.

Sorry, I meant to say USB floppy drive (and even those can be troublesome)...

The only other option I can think of is using a program like nLite to create your own ISO with the drivers for your controller card(s) added (so it will automatically recognize them).

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:49 AM
  • From what I can tell, this part of the setup looks almost like the XP/2000 setup.  Sorry to say, but you may need to pony up for a floppy drive (or find someone with an old pc and borrow the floppy drive from them!).  I had to do this for the SATA chipset on my mobo.  I grumbled a bit when I had to dig the floppy out of a box, but it did get my server up and running so I suppose that is all that matters. Good Luck!
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:19 AM
  • According to Joel Burt in this thread, it's also possible to use a USB flash drive for your drivers. I assume the layout of the drivers on the flash drive would have to be the same as on a floppy.

However, when I need a floppy, it's always for OS installation. So I have one I keep in a plastic bag in a drawer, with some silica gel in the bag. It gets hauled out and connected when I need it, then put away again afterward. I think it's about a decade old...
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:01 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    According to Joel Burt in this thread, it's also possible to use a USB flash drive for your drivers. I assume the layout of the drivers on the flash drive would have to be the same as on a floppy.

Dang, I missed that post!

Ken Warren wrote:
    However, when I need a floppy, it's always for OS installation. So I have one I keep in a plastic bag in a drawer, with some silica gel in the bag. It gets hauled out and connected when I need it, then put away again afterward. I think it's about a decade old...

The only other time I needed a floppy (besides WHS installation) was to flash the BIOS on my SATA PCI card (the biggest drive it recognized at the time was only 500 GB).

Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:10 PM