Printer sharing issue

Question

• One of my computers previously had a printer connected to it, but now does not. I now have it connected to the computer which is the hub computer for OneCare. The computern it used to be connected to is now just in the circle, and is not a hub PC. I got a message on my Hub PC that the printer was connected to my other computer (even though it is not) and that I can use it. What I would like to know is how i can use my other computer (The non Hub one) to print off documents and such using the printer connected to my Hub PC. I never got a message on my non-hub PC about a printer being connected to my Hub PC.

I hope my question was well worded and did not confuse anyone reading it. Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:07 AM

Answers

• Hi, Sean. It is a bit confusing, but I think you are saying that the printer has been moved from one PC to another PC in your Circle. OneCare can only share printers that are attached directly to the PC. So, the PC that had the printer attached now needs to stop advertising that it has a printer available to share and the PC that is now hosting the printer should offer it out to the Circle.

On the PC that used to have the printer attached, open OneCare, click Change Settings, Printer Sharing tab and clear the check mark from the option to share the printers. Then click the Clear button.

On the PC that has the printer attached, do the same, but place a check mark next to the share printer option.

On a 3rd PC do the same, but simply press the clear button.

You should be given the opportunity to use the printer from the PC that is now hosting it.

This will not be an option if the PCs are running a mix of 32 bit ad 64 bit Windows. In that case you will need to manually share the printer via Control Panel/Printers.

-steve

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi, Sean. It is a bit confusing, but I think you are saying that the printer has been moved from one PC to another PC in your Circle. OneCare can only share printers that are attached directly to the PC. So, the PC that had the printer attached now needs to stop advertising that it has a printer available to share and the PC that is now hosting the printer should offer it out to the Circle.

On the PC that used to have the printer attached, open OneCare, click Change Settings, Printer Sharing tab and clear the check mark from the option to share the printers. Then click the Clear button.

On the PC that has the printer attached, do the same, but place a check mark next to the share printer option.

On a 3rd PC do the same, but simply press the clear button.

You should be given the opportunity to use the printer from the PC that is now hosting it.

This will not be an option if the PCs are running a mix of 32 bit ad 64 bit Windows. In that case you will need to manually share the printer via Control Panel/Printers.

-steve

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:11 PM
  • I took a look at it, and did what you said, but it is giving me an error on the PC that the printer used to be connected to. It said it could not connect to the remote printer. I don't think the printer was ever installed right on the computer it is connected to now, so I won't worry about it. Thanks anyway.
    Monday, December 01, 2008 9:02 PM
  • I'd go ahead and reinstall the printer that is on that remote PC. Note that if that PC is not on your LAN, meaning that you refer to it as remote by being off site, OneCare can't use it for Sharing in the Circle. The printers must be connected to the PCs within your Circle that are connected to the same local network segment.

-steve

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 2:05 AM