Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:45 AM
I am using CRM 3.0 and my existing system contains lost of customizations in entity and reports. Also i had implemented some customization using callouts. Now i am in a status to migrate my system to 4.0 immediately. So any one can help me
1. Do i need to install a fresh CRM 4.0 and then move CRM 3.0 datas into CRM 4.0 system, or can i upgrade to 4.0 from the existing CRM 3.0 itself (Is there any migration document related to it?)
2. Do my customized entity can be migrated to 4.0, If it cant be how can i overcome it (Suggession pls...)
3. Do i have to rework on the report?
4. Is there any defined steps that such and such components should be migrated first??
5. How to migrate user Login informations?
6. Does IFD uses Active directory and User Login Informain to allow users to login into CRM?
7. I had made customization in entity inorder to support currency, 4.0 had inbuilt currency. I want to migrate the entity. How can overcome this during upgrade?
Any help will be highly usefull
Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:35 AMModerator
1. You have to install 4.0 on a server that has your 3.0 environment installed on it. This is called "upgrade in place" and is the only way to do it. You cannot import 3.0 customizations into 4.0.
2. Customized entities will transfer to 4.0, as long as they are supported customizations.
3. custom reports in 3.0 work in 4.0
4. The steps are detailed in the CRM 4.0 Implementation guide. You can download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714&displaylang=en
5. Since you will be upgrading 3.0 to 4.0, all user logins will transfer.
6. IFD still uses AD indirectly. Users will log in to the IFD URL using their active directory credentials. SSL is recommended for security.
7. Since this is a custom entity, there is no set answer to this question. I would probably migrate this entity to preserve the existing information, set up currency as desired, and then delete the custom entity after testing.
Most critical, be sure that you do this in a test environment first--if you don't have one, copy a backup of your 3.0 database, redeploy it using the redeploy wizard, and test the upgrade with a full copy of your environment and cusotmizations. Make sure you backup before you do the upgrade. During the in place upgrade you reach a "point of no return," and if something fails you are in trouble if you don't back up.
Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:55 AMModerator
you need the upgradation
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:33 AM
Your points was very helpfull during upgrade.
Now i had done my migration successfully.
I have only one problem. callouts are not working.
I have Just changed the organization name during migration.
will this be a problem for callouts???
Actually the callout should be registered as Plugin.
Can u help me by saying How to convert a callout to plugin.
Waiting for your reply
thankyou once again for you great help
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:41 AM
Joel to add more.
I have faced one more problem during Migration.
I just want to discuss it with you.
I had a Entity With same LOCALIZED NAME and LOCALISED ENTITY NAME as similat to the system entity in 4.0
so it spotted a error during upgrade since it is not possible to have 2 entity with same Display Name.
Inorder to solve it i had renamed the LOCALIZED NAME and LOCALISED ENTITY NAME for my cmr 3.0 custom entity.
the entity is published and its reflected in the front end.
But the reflection is not replicated in the Database.
Organization_METABASE --> table --> entity --> the record in the table contains the old name.
Had u faced the problem?
Its reflected in Front end?
Will it reflect in some other location other than the above path?
Pls do help