Monday, April 23, 2012 11:18 AMHi
I have got really strange problem with my instance of Dynamics CRM 2011. After installing CRM everything was fine, there were no problems with my AD account permissions, which almost always were making setup a bit difficult for me (client IT admins were very aware of the whole domain admin installation permissions etc, but finally we get trough it). After the installation was complete i started to run all of the recent roll ups for CRM including the last 7th one. After this update I had a problem with logging on the CRM - which was sort of standard one in case of installing updates - "Global catalog not found" in Event Viewer on CRM Server machine. I managed to solve this by using commands "ipconfig /flushdns" and "ipconfig /registerdns" as it was recognized as "popular" issue of DNS old cache after update. Then everything worked fine for a week. Last week I had got same error while logging in the CRM. Again I tried to solve it with flush/register dns in commad prompt - it was strange because it worked after few tries, not after the first one. Today, while logging in CRM system the error occured once again but this time flush/register dns method seems to not work at all, so I am unable to do anything right now. Did anyone face a issue like this before? I would be grateful for your help as I am trying to find anything in web which could solve it, but apart of flush/registerdns commands in command prompt I am getting nothing.
PS. Sorry for my grammar, but english is not my native one :/
Saturday, April 28, 2012 12:07 AM
What is the full error message you are seeing? "Global catalog not found" is just part of it. Also check to see if your client and server times are in sync .
Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:47 AM
Maybe a infrastructure change on your network is causing the issue. With CRM you can force the use of a different DC GC.
Add the following registry key on all CRM servers:
Set the name of a domain controller GC that you know is working okay. You may need to reset IIS.
let us know if this helped
Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:22 AM
I apologize for late response, and want to thank you for your interest in this issue. Right after I had solved it I had a lot of work to be done because of CRM system stop working, and now I have time to tell you what was the reason of it.
I tried to follow the steps you have described, but unfortunately it didn't help, but in some way you were right - it was the network configuration on CRM Server which casused the issue. After reading your reply I started to scan all the connection/network settings on the server (with all the "silly" ones included like turning off ipv6). The result was ofcourse the same (which means no result at all). When it seemed that I had done every possible change on network properities, the last thing I had tried was removing alternate DNS address from network properities. And then ... everything started working correct. I have no idea why.
However it is still really strange one for me. When I faced this issue for the firt time I solved it easily with flushing and registering DNS addresses like I mentioned in my first post. The same method helped me when the problem appeared for the second time, but when it came up again I could do nothing trying to flush and register DNS addresses.
Anyway once again thank for your interest and help, and apologize for letting you know how it ended after more than two weeks.
- Marked As Answer by Kubas_86 Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:58 PM