Monday, July 28, 2008 8:15 PM
We're having trouble running Deployment Manager for a complex CRM implementation. Here is the issue that we're experiencing:
(1) We log onto the CRM server
(2) Run deployment manager,
(3) A progress bar appears that says something about "Adding snap-in to console"
(4) After about 30 seconds, we receive an error that says "Unable to access the MSCRM_CONFIG database. SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
The user has full read/write access on all DBs on the SQL server. The user has System Administrator priviledges in CRM. The user is a domain admin.
Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:53 PMModerator
You need to isolate the problem further - you may have already tried some of the following:
Is the CRM server also the SQL Server? If so, are you able to run SQL Server Management Studio and connect to SQL server?
Are you able to run CRM on the server?
Are you able to ping the SQL Server from the CRM server?
You say that you have a complex implementation. What makes it complex?
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:35 PM
Thanks for your help. We were able to solve the issue. I'm listing our resolution here for anyone that might encounter the same problem. It was actually a combination of two issues:
(1) The user needed to be added to the SQLAccessGroup in Active Directory. This resolved the error that I intially reported.
(2) Once we took care of #1, we still couldn't run Deployment Manager. We received an error saying the user had to first be setup as a Deployment Administrator. The "role" of Deployment Administrator is setup inside of the Deployment Manager (not in Active Directory, nor in CRM ... go figure), so the only person who can give you permission to be a Deployment Manager is someone who is already a Deployment Manager (the installer is assigned this role by default). In this case, our Deployment Manager was in India on vacation ... so we reset his network password and logged in.
Issue #2 is documented in more detail here:
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:13 AMModerator