Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:48 AM
yesterday we decided to test the new RU12 and found some annoying error for us. We mainly use the crm for planning our appointments and service activities but with RU 12 the service calender isn't useable anymore. It looks like there are some CSS errors preventing the crm to display the calendar as intended.
Has anybody encountered an error like this or can give us some hints how to deal with this problem?
We don't have any solutions or customizations installed in this deployment, so the probleme seems to come from the RU12 install.
Greetings from Nuremberg, Germany
- Edited by Christian Schenkewitz Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:15 AM
Saturday, March 02, 2013 4:31 AMOur customer is experiencing the same issue after install Rollup Update 12. Does anyone have a solution?
Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:13 AM
we found no solution to repair this install, but a fresh new install of CRM 2011 worked. I hope you have some actual backups from the organizations or the hole SQL-Server. We installed a new VM with CRM 2011, updated it to RU11, imported our organization, installed the RU12 (with DB update failure), changed the sql-languages for the user and server to english and updated our crm sql-db manually. We encountered the db update failure, because we use CRM Server & SQL-Server in german. With english installations you shouldn't have this problems. After that our servicecalender was fine and the problems were gone.
If you're able to do go the same same way, it would be the best for you I think.
Greetings from Germany
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:34 PM
Thanks for your post. We have the same issue here.
We are going to log this with Microsoft to see what they say. I'll post back to let you know.
- Edited by Gavin - Quadris Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:45 PM