Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:18 AM
Here is the scenario.
- You create a custom activity
- You create (or edit) a view on the standard Activity entity to exclude/include your custom activity by filtering on activtytypecode
- You export your solution and import into another environment
- When you try your customised Activity views, they don't work as exported
- If you open the customised view, e.g. within Advanced Find, a yellow warning triangle appears next to the activitytypecode saying the value doesn't exist
The problem arises because activitytypecode use a global option set, activitypointer_activitytypecode, which is marked as non-customisable. This means:
- you cannot export/import this option set, even though the Activity entity & your custom entity are dependent on it
- when the solution is imported, a new activitytypecode value is allocated for your custom activity entity
- you cannot manually update the value in the target environment - the value is read only
So you are forced to manually fix up your custom views in the target environment to make them work again after every solution import.
Sounds like a bug to me?
Surely the code aught to be allocated from the solution publisher's picklist range & transported across environments just like all other picklist values?
Additionally, any SDK code you write looking at activitytypecode will need to have this as a configurable value, affecting any FetchXml you write, etc.
Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:49 PM
The workaround you have given will work for now. I have logged a bug in the product team to follow up for future release.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:08 PM
I've just encountered this bug in my latest project as we're using Custom Activities. Is there any news on if this bug will be fixed and if so when? I've got a number of views that will need to use the custom activity. and it's a pain to update CRM every time I deploy to QA, UAT, and eventually the live site.
Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:13 PMI too am having the same issue. We're currently using UR11 and are still experiencing this problem when promoting from Dev - UAT - Production when using custom activity views . . . is there any update on when this issue will be resolved.
Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:38 PM
I've got a support case open for this at the moment. They're treating it as a bug and a Hotfix Request has been submitted. Fingers-crossed it'll be in the next Rollup (i.e. 13) as it's a complete pain as you are no doubt aware. I raised the support case in August last year, so hopefully they'll be some progress soon.
I'll post back here when I've got some more news!