none
Win Xp Pro: New Install: Product Key = Not Working

Question

• Hello My Name Is Liam I am 13yrs of age. I recently brought this laptop on Ebay it came with xp pro and a COA on the back of it with my PK (Product Key). Therefore buying it of Ebay I did not get the xp disc with it Sad So my teachers husband (IT Tech) gave me a copy of xp he said to use the product key that he wrote on the cd case, then change it to the one thats on my COA by downloading Microsoft's Key Update Tool. I did so and recive the following error... "The new product key you are using to update has been previously used or is already in use." I have tried re-instaling xp i delete the current installed partition but still get the same error once i sign in. I am really upset by the help I recived on the phone... I phoned Microsoft and they said i need the Technical Help Line so the rep said "Please hold I am putting you through" I then stayed on the line for 2 mins listening to safety tips and Terrible music then it cut off! This happened twice. Is there anyway I can sort this? I would really and I mean really apreciate any help recived =]

Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:00 PM

Answers

• Liam03,

The recovery/restore discs will erase anything on the user partition of the hard disk drive and replace it with the identical software load that was present on the computer when the computer was brand new out of the box.  You will want to back up and offload any irreplaceable data before you run the recovery process.

Remember the XP Pro you have now is a pirated copy of a Volume Licensing installation, and you really want to get rid of this installation.

Since the computer came with XP Pro (as shown by the CoA), the recovery/restore discs should install XP Pro.  The installation of XP Pro will be an OEM license which will validate successfully.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 8:18 PM

All replies

• Liam03,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:10 PM
  • Thanks Dan, well here you go =]

Step 1)Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8637434-23190
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {486CAFE5-5D12-4F86-A03C-AA67E265E8D9}
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{486CAFE5-5D12-4F86-A03C-AA67E265E8D9}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23190</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2025429265-813497703-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq </Manufacturer><Model>Evo N410c                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686A2 v2.49 F.0A</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20021107000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>AA9F3507018400CE</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Step 2) 

1) XP Pro

2)No Sorry it does not read..

3)Nope sorry.

I hope this helps you to help me =]

Sunday, April 29, 2007 6:39 AM
  • Liam03,

A genuine CoA affixed to the computer will have either OEM Software/OEM Product or it will have the manufacturer's name on it.  The mgadiag utility is showing that your computer is a Compaq which may be represented on the CoA by "Compaq" or "HPQ."

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Yer, your right it says....

"Windows XP Professioal 1 - 2CPU

HPQ"

Monday, April 30, 2007 6:06 AM
  • Liam03,

Right now, your Compaq Evo computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK reported by the mgadiag utility, WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98, you will see that over a dozen other posters have submitted reports with that same blocked VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Normally the solution to your situation would be to run the Product Key Updater Utility, as you have tried to do.  However, the Utility and its support system are designed so that it can only be used once with any given Product Key.  After that one use, the only alternative is to use genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM media or the Compaq Recovery solution provided by Compaq (preferred) to cleanly install (in your case) XP Pro.  It is possible that before you purchased the computer, the PK Updater Uitility had already been run on the computer.

Since you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by Compaq, please contact Compaq (which is now owned by Hewlett-Packard FYI) so you can order a set of Recovery CDs.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com or other source for genuine Recovery discs.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Thanks I will do now please leave this Thread open so i can post an update thanks Wink
    Monday, April 30, 2007 2:31 PM
  • I went on to the Compaq Site and found the recovery disc order link

https://sales.sitel.be/hprecocd/Sales.html

but it comes up with an error Sad

Sadly my comp is not a cd-rewriter Sad 

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Liam03,

I'm not sure why not having a CD burner would prevent you from installing XP from the CDROM drive on the computer.

Are you saying that the computer does not have a CDROM drive at all?

Can you post the exact model # of your Compaq Evo?

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:18 PM
  • I have a cd rom drive and i can either download the Recorvey disc or order and pay i dont want to pay and i do not have a burner  Sad

I have a copy of XP Pro cant i use that?

Is it possible we could speak through a chat program etc Msn?

Monday, April 30, 2007 6:06 PM
  • What happened to your post?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Liam03,

OK, I understand where the burner comes in....I didn't know that HP Europe provided a download option for Recovery CDs.  Can you ask a buddy to help you out in downloading and burning the Recovery CD?

If your XP Pro is a systembuilder/OEM CD, you can use it to cleanly install XP Pro while using the Product Key on your CoA.  A retail CD will not work with the Product Key on your CoA.  After installation you will be required to do a Telephone Activation.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 12:48 AM
  • It says i will need 7-11 Discs Surprise And if I want them shipped theyre gonna make meh pay shipping charges which I think is out of order.

Is there anywhere I can order them for free?

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 2:20 PM
  • Once I get these restore discs and i reset it what does it do will it let me change the prduct key dont forget I have a copy of XP Pro not the one that came with the pc Sad
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Liam03,

The recovery/restore discs will erase anything on the user partition of the hard disk drive and replace it with the identical software load that was present on the computer when the computer was brand new out of the box.  You will want to back up and offload any irreplaceable data before you run the recovery process.

Remember the XP Pro you have now is a pirated copy of a Volume Licensing installation, and you really want to get rid of this installation.

Since the computer came with XP Pro (as shown by the CoA), the recovery/restore discs should install XP Pro.  The installation of XP Pro will be an OEM license which will validate successfully.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 8:18 PM
  • Why would I need 7-12 discs?
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:20 AM
  • Liam03,

The people that would really know the answer to that question are Compaq/HP.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 12:57 PM
  • Actualy forget it Microsoft has lost one of its customers, I'm gonna go with Linux (Ubuntu) much better I think, Thanks for all your help it is just the way microsoft treated me. I think Microsoft are very rude and need to set their priortys right, otherwise theyre gonna loose a few home users!
    Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:14 AM
  • Ok, so I'm having a very similar problem.

I had a pirated copy of Windows XP Professional...had it installed and all was well.  I apparently developed a guilty bone about me and I decided to go with the Genuine Advantage Kit update from Microsoft.  So I drop $160 on their key/CD and change my product key with their little program.  My HD came with this horrible backup/recovery program, and it suddenly started running out of space and decided that it need to restore my HD to a previous restore point.  Unfortunately, the only restore point it had was back when I first installed Windows.  So it restores it...taking away my Service Pack 2, my other programs/games, and my validated copy of Windows.  Frustrated, I uninstalled that piece of *** backup/recovery program and begin my mission to restore my computer back to where it was.  This included downloading all of the necessary Security Updates and Service Packs.  However, it came up and said that I didn't have a valid copy of Windows.  I figure, no sweat.  I have my new product key here that cost me $160 so I'll just change it the same way I did last time.  I go through the Product Key changing process only to have it come up and say that that Product Key has already been activated or is currently in use.  Well duh...by me.

So now I'm pissed.  I've since gotten my computer back to Service Pack 2 by downloading the Network Installer and doing it manually.  I've done the Regedit trick and then reactivating Windows and at the "Activate by Telephone" screen, clicking change product key...no avail.  It says it's not a legitimate product key.  Wonderful.

Please help me.  Anyone...I can't tell you how pissed and frustrated I am at this.  The one time I feel guilty about having pirated software and I decide to remedy it, I get bitten in the butt...big time.  I got an email that said Microsoft has sent out my CD that comes with the kit...but what good is that going to do if the product key is already registered as active.  Grrrr.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Liam03,

The computer has a Genuine license to run XP Pro as evidenced by the genuine CoA for XP Pro on the computer.  When you purchased it, the previous owner had replaced the genuine installation with a nongenuine installation.  The solution to the problem is simple, reinstall the correct license for XP.  Since the seller did not include the CDs, your options are to buy the Cds from Compaq or use a genuine MS OEM CD to reinstall a genuine license for XP.

I'm not understanding where in this process Microsoft treated you badly.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Thomas,

The Product Key Updater Utility is a stopgap measure designed to temporarily get a nongenuine installation of XP genuine again.  When the WGA Kit XP CD arrives, you are strongly encouraged to do a clean installation of XP after backing up your data.  Since the Product Key Updater is only to be used once, any Product Key that is updated is flagged.  In order to "lift the flag" you have to do a clean installation with the CD when it arrives.

When you do your clean installation, I would suggest that you dump the "horrible backup/recovery program."

Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:25 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Thomas,

The Product Key Updater Utility is a stopgap measure designed to temporarily get a nongenuine installation of XP genuine again.  When the WGA Kit XP CD arrives, you are strongly encouraged to do a clean installation of XP after backing up your data.  Since the Product Key Updater is only to be used once, any Product Key that is updated is flagged.  In order to "lift the flag" you have to do a clean installation with the CD when it arrives.

When you do your clean installation, I would suggest that you dump the "horrible backup/recovery program."

/sigh

I was afraid of something like that.  Thanks for your help.  At least my computer is up and running, even if it is with this horrible nagware that they call windows.  Stick out tongue

Also, I have already dumped the backup/recovery program.  It came with my HD...I had no idea it would cause me such fits or I'd have dumped it as soon as I got it.  Indifferent

Thanks again.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Before I asked for help in here I phoned their technical helpline they were just soo rude to me Sad

So your saying if I get a proper cd no matter what product key it uses and i do a clean instalation with that cd i will be able to enter my product key during instalation ?

Sunday, May 06, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Liam03,

Product Keys are designed to work with their matching "flavor" and edition of CD, but are not so specific that this one individual Product Key will only work with this one exact Windows CD and no others.

So any genuine systembuilder/OEM CD for the right matching edition (Home, Pro, Tablet, Media Center) will accept during setup any genuine OEM (systembuilder or royalty [aka big manufacturer]) Product Key of the same matching edition.  Any genuine retail XP CD of the right matching flavor and edition (retail has two flavors, full and upgrade) (edition can be Home, Pro, Tablet, and Media Center) will work with any genuine retail Product Key for that corresponding flavor and matching edition.  Trying to mix flavors and/or editions will result in an error message during Setup, right after you type in the Product Key.

Monday, May 07, 2007 1:27 PM