none
The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention

Question

• The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.  Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.  Diagnosis : A consistent degradation in frame rate for the Desktop Window Manager was observed over a period of time.  Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational  Diagnostics-Performance  Event ID; 501  Level:  Warning;  User:  LOCAL SERVICE;  OpCode:  Video Memory Responsiveness;  Task Category:  Desktop Window Manager Monitoring;  Keywords:  Event Log.  Windows Home Premium; Vista, Inspirion 530 Desktop, Intel core 2 Duo Processor.  Integrated Intel Graphic Media Accelorater K3000*.  Installed second Monitor and Video card 1530 June/2009.  Only recently, since 2010 year have "warning" log enteries appeared. 
    No steps have been taken besides, reporting event log--no repsonse.  Do see that graphics speed is barely utilized
    Graphics  
      Display adapter type VisionTek Radeon X1550 Series
      Total available graphics memory 2047 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
            Dedicated system memory 0 MB
            Shared system memory 1791 MB
      Display adapter driver version 8.582.0.0
      Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
      Secondary monitor resolution 1440x900
      DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
    thank you

• Moved by sudarshans1Moderator Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:10 AM Moving from MSDN and TechNet Search Feedback Forum, please move or answer as necessary (From:MSDN and TechNet Search Feedback)
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:40 AM

All replies

• Where is MS when you need them?!

I'm having the same problem now...just today I got the following after killing the pagefile.sys file (but I have 6gb of RAM), but I've defragged down to absolutely zero frags using Raxco PerfectDisk 10. I found initially my RAM usage is lower, but as I use programs the percentage comes up. But my RAM usage is still in the 50-60% range, even running MS FlightSim X. I have a Radeon HD4800 with 1gb of RAM, utilizing Extended Memory on a Vizio 37" LCD, and a HP w2207h monitor:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.

Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition.

Before I killed the pagefile.sys, I was receiving this message:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.

Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.

I have regular entries back to when I loaded Win7 on 10/25/09. I realize the pagefile issue has created the different error message, and I will turn it back on, but it doesn't explain why I've had the issue before today. By the way...I have had zero BSOD's and zero problems surface otherwise since installing Win7.

Oh, and my biggest complaint: since all of us can see the event log and it's entries, and get the Error number, and even have a hyperlink to MS's site for a solution, why are so many of the results "No results were found for your query". Sheesh..there's MS guy who coded the OS to produce the error number- why in the heck can't they explain the issue?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:15 AM